* Re: Portable CygWin version for Windows?
@ 2021-11-14 11:38 Fergus Daly
From: Fergus Daly @ 2021-11-14 11:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'; +Cc: Fergus Daly

Am 14.11.2021 um 11:32 schrieb Marco Atzeri via Cygwin:
> On 14.11.2021 08:37, Peter Steiner via Cygwin wrote:
>> On webpage
>>
>> https://cygwin.com/
>>
>> I found only a CgyWin Installer to download.
>>
>> I prefer to put CygWin on an USB flash drive and run it on various
>> computers without leaving installation traces.
>>
>> Is there really no portable version to download?
>
> correct. No one should install all the files
>

>> What if I install it once one computer and copy all the files to my
>> USB flash drive?
>> Are there any disadvantages?
>
> The file permissions will be not correct.
Actually, if you format your USB stick to NTFS, this should work. I
remember to have had a mobile cygwin stick around a while ago.

> What you can do is use the USB stick as location for the cache download
> and install from the USB on the other computers.
>

>> Peter
>>

> Regards
> Marco

>> The file permissions will be not correct.
>> Actually, if you format your USB stick to NTFS, this should work. I
>> remember to have had a mobile cygwin stick around a while ago.

Having trouble following the assertions here.
I've had a FAT32 portable USB stick supporting both Cygwin32 and Cygwin64
for, dunno, 20 years or something. I made a new one from scratch last night, actually,
absolutely coincidentally to this post. Whilst not "Full" the installation is way in advance
of "Base". I just run
setup -P <list of packages I want - exactly 50 of them>
at the Windows command prompt, installing to a formatted FAT32 stick, and away I go.
Time after time after time.
Fergus

[parent not found: <1ab88470-74c9-49d7-3c42-281927dee218.ref@yahoo.ca>]