* RE: Where is the manual to manually install cygwin in Windiows  2000
@ 2002-04-20  1:07 Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2002-04-20  1:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: George Hester, cygwin

http://cygwin.com/cvs.html

Rob

* Re: Where is the manual to manually install cygwin in Windiows  2000
@ 2002-04-20 11:11 ` George Hester
From: George Hester @ 2002-04-20 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Thanks Robert.  I went there.  But it looks as though I have to have Cygwin
installed to do this.  Let me give you an example:

On this page:

http://www.iol.ie/~locka/mozilla/plugin.htm

you will see an example how to get files using CVS.  That worked just fine
for me.

But on this page:

http://cygwin.com/cvs.html

the directions say this:

"Once you've done that, you need to tell your local cvs software what
password to use. The password is the word anoncvs :

bash$ cvs login."

As you can see there is a bash shell running.  Will I get into a bash shell
automatically upon connecting through CVS or do I need Cygwin installed
first?

--
George Hester

* Re: Where is the manual to manually install cygwin in Windiows 2000
@ 2002-04-20 11:26   ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2002-04-20 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: George Hester, cygwin

At 02:02 PM 4/20/2002, George Hester wrote:
>Thanks Robert.  I went there.  But it looks as though I have to have Cygwin
>installed to do this.  Let me give you an example:
>
>On this page:
>
>http://www.iol.ie/~locka/mozilla/plugin.htm
>
>you will see an example how to get files using CVS.  That worked just fine
>for me.
>
>But on this page:
>
>http://cygwin.com/cvs.html
>
>the directions say this:
>
>"Once you've done that, you need to tell your local cvs software what
>password to use. The password is the word anoncvs :
>
>bash$ cvs login."
>
>As you can see there is a bash shell running.  Will I get into a bash shell
>automatically upon connecting through CVS or do I need Cygwin installed
>first?

No.  This is simply an example using the cvs software that comes with
Cygwin.  Use this as a guide to what you should do to login to Cygwin's
CVS using whatever local cvs software you have.  Don't take it literally.

* Re: Where is the manual to manually install cygwin in Windiows 2000
@ 2002-04-20 16:04   ` Randall R Schulz
From: Randall R Schulz @ 2002-04-20 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: George Hester, cygwin

George,

What I see is that both pages instruct the user to do a "cvs login" and
that's to be expected, since that part of CVS.

You don't need to use the Cygwin port of CVS to retrieve file from the
cygwin.com CVS server. You can use a Windows native CVS command line or
something like WinCVS or jCVS.

If you run a Cygwin CVS from a non-Cygwin shell (BASH, ash, tcsh), it will
try to create and read the ".cvspass" file in the directory named by the
value of the HOME environment variable, so if you try this, make sure that
variable is set. I imagine that a Windows native port of the CVS
command-line client will the do the same or something very similar. After
all, Windows users have home directories, too. GUI CVS clients probably
have their own configuration files or registry entries for storing this
sort of information.

Otherwise, CVS is CVS. The interaction between the client and the server is
specified by a protocol, and it doesn't matter which client or server you
use, as long as they both properly implement that protocol.

It might help you to know that there is no "session" created by a CVS
"login" command. That command simply prompts for and verifies the password
with the server and then records it (if it's the command line CVS, it does
as as I mention above and puts a mildly obscured version of the password
into $HOME/.cvspass). Then each subsequent command directed at the same CVS
server uses the password that was recorded in the .cvspass file. The CVS
command line tool does not start an interactive sub-shell. To my knowledge,
the only time it launches other processes is to create an editor for
composing check-in or update commentaries.

Good luck.

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA

@ 2002-04-20  0:19   ` George Hester
From: George Hester @ 2002-04-20  0:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Could you give the CVS commands to get the source of the setup?  I am
thinking this is the only way I can do what this post is asking.  At least
that is my understanding.  Thanks.

--
George Hester
_________________________________

@ 2002-04-19 12:33         ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2002-04-19 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael A Chase, cygwin

At 02:12 PM 4/19/2002, Michael A Chase wrote:
>On Fri, 19 Apr 2002 10:23:56 -0400 "Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)" <lhall@rfk.com> wrote:
>
> > At 09:45 PM 4/18/2002, Michael A Chase wrote:

Exactly.  Which is why manual installation processes are a "use at your own
risk" approach.  My point is, if you're so inclined, you *can* install
Cygwin and any of it's packages manually, without setup.  Again, the only
reason I mention this is because there have been indications from folks on
this list that there is something which setup does that can't be reproduced
by any other mechanism.  This is just plain false.  However, I am in no
way encouraging people to use or generate an installation method other than
setup.  Certainly, if one does so, this list cannot entertain questions
about installation problems based on such a procedure.  I hope this message
and my previous response to this thread clarifies the installation issue for
those of all interests.  I guess we'll see if that is indeed the case. ;-)

* Re: Where is the manual to manually install Cygwin in Windiows   2000
@ 2002-04-19 11:22       ` Michael A Chase
From: Michael A Chase @ 2002-04-19 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc), cygwin

On Fri, 19 Apr 2002 10:23:56 -0400 "Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)" <lhall@rfk.com> wrote:

> At 09:45 PM 4/18/2002, Michael A Chase wrote:

Ask Smarter: http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.htm

* Re: Where is the manual to manually install Cygwin in Windiows 2000
       [not found] <F68NIPukg3nOpj53XaD0000aad8@hotmail.com>
@ 2002-04-19  9:44 ` Michael A Chase
From: Michael A Chase @ 2002-04-19  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: george hester, cygwin

On Fri, 19 Apr 2002 05:12:59 -0400 george hester <hesterloli@hotmail.com> wrote:

> 18 months ago.
>
> George Hester
>
> ----Original Message Follows----
>  > Well my response to you is using it the way you say I should resulted
> in
>  > BSOD the last time I tried to follow as you suggest in Windows 2000
>  > Professional.  So not using it is no big deal.  Thanks for your help.
>
> When was the last time you attempted to install Cygwin with setup.exe?
> There have been problems on occasion, but the current version should not
> cause BSOD.

Please keep the discussion on the list.  I am not the sole source of all wisdom.

Setup.exe has been completely re-written since then.  Try it again.  If you
still have problems with setup.exe, there is help available on cygwin@cygwin.com.
--

@ 2002-04-19  7:31 ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2002-04-19  7:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: misi misi, cygwin; +Cc: cgf-cygwin

At 07:36 AM 4/19/2002, misi misi wrote:
>Hallo,
>from where can the source of setup be downloaded?
>CVS is no choice, because of a firewall.

No, CVS is it.

>Is there a possibility to start setup.exe in
>batchmodus, so cygwin could be installed an a lot
>of machines remotly?

I refer you to:

* Re: Where is the manual to manually install Cygwin in Windiows 2000
@ 2002-04-19  7:30     ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2002-04-19  7:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael A Chase, George Hester, cygwin

At 09:45 PM 4/18/2002, Michael A Chase wrote:

Which can still be run manually if the user chooses.  Setup automates the
running of these but there is still nothing magical about them.

>Setup.exe will take care of them for you.  Without it you are on your own.
>
>I'm only mentioning these as a caution against what you seem to insist on
>doing.  Don't expect any support if you go against all advice.

I fully agree with this.  The above comments I made are really nits since I
want to dispel the myth that setup does things that can't be done manually.
Anyone really interested in installing "manually" can always look at what
setup does and perform the same steps.  My impression is that people looking
to install "manually" are looking for a scriptable setup, of which there is
already a start (thanks Rob).  I'd recommend anyone who plans to put any time
into creating their own automated installation to seriously consider adding
to the capabilities of setup in this area.  You'll leverage allot of work,
make things easier for yourself and others, and gain something that is
maintainable over time.

Just my $.02.

* Re: Where is the manual to manually install cygwin in Windiows 2000
@ 2002-04-19  5:49 misi misi
From: misi misi @ 2002-04-19  5:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: cgf-cygwin

Hallo,
from where can the source of setup be downloaded?
CVS is no choice, because of a firewall.

Is there a possibility to start setup.exe in
batchmodus, so cygwin could be installed an a lot
of machines remotly?

Regards

* Re: Where is the manual to manually install cygwin in Windiows 2000
@ 2002-04-18 18:52   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-04-18 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Apr 18, 2002 at 09:09:09PM -0400, Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) wrote:
>At 10:25 AM 4/18/2002, George Hester wrote:
>>The last time I tried the installer I did not like the result.  So now
>>I have downloaded all the packages I need evne the docs.  But I see
>>nothing about how to install this manually; what environment variables
>>I should set.  Nothing at all.  All I see is telling me to use the
>>installer.  If I do not want to do this does that mean I cannot install
>>Cygwin in Windows 2000?  Thanks.
>
>OK.  I guess you just somehow missed this:
>
>http://www.cygwin.com/download.html

Coincidentally enough, I just updated this page today.  I got rid of the
mention of bootstrap.zip since it was out of date.  I also updated the
README in the cygwin download directory, removing some obsolete words
and pointing at the above URL if you want to avoid setup.exe.

The README isn't completely up-to-date now but it is a little better.  I
don't know how many people actually read this README.  Apparently not
very many or we would have had complaints about some of the obsolete
info.

cgf

* Re: Where is the manual to manually install Cygwin in Windiows  2000
@ 2002-04-18 18:47   ` Michael A Chase
From: Michael A Chase @ 2002-04-18 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
> At 10:25 AM 4/18/2002, George Hester wrote:
> >The last time I tried the installer I did not like the result.  So now I
> >have downloaded all the packages I need evne the docs.  But I see nothing
> >about how to install this manually; what environment variables I should
set.
> >Nothing at all.  All I see is telling me to use the installer.  If I do
not
> >want to do this does that mean I cannot install Cygwin in Windows 2000?
> >Thanks.

What didn't you like?  It may have been fixed or you might not understand
the implications of some of your choices.

> OK.  I guess you just somehow missed this:
>
> http://www.cygwin.com/download.html
>
> That explains your options.  Installing by a method other that setup is
> not really supported by this list however.  BTW, there are no *required*
> settings beyond unpacking the software.  But if you want any of the
> additions that setup gives you, that's another argument for just using
> setup.  Of course, the source for setup is available if you'd just prefer
> to look at it to find out what it does.  But you're right.  There is no
> documentation that guides you through a manual install of Cygwin.  It's
> assumed that if you don't use setup, you understand enough about what
> you're doing to just do it.  Either that or you're the adventurous type.
;-)
> Really, there's really no *magic* to setup though...

There are some mount points that _must_ be created for Cygwin to work
reliable and many packages have postinstall scripts that should be run.
Setup.exe will take care of them for you.  Without it you are on your own.

I'm only mentioning these as a caution against what you seem to insist on
doing.  Don't expect any support if you go against all advice.
--
Mac :})
Ask Smarter: http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

* Re: Where is the manual to manually install Cygwin in Windiows 2000
@ 2002-04-18 18:46 ` Randall R Schulz
From: Randall R Schulz @ 2002-04-18 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: George Hester, cygwin

George,

I don't know what's not to like about Setup.exe (well, maybe URL-encoded
mirror directory names), but you're really bucking the tide and going
against the grain in trying to install without Setup.exe.

You'll also be told (if this message doesn't forestall it) that this list
doesn't cater to problems with installation or problems originating in
installation errors for people who don't use the standard installation
procedure based on Setup.exe.

On the off chance that your poor experience was the result of an earlier,
less capable or less fully debugged version of Setup.exe, why don't you
tell us when you last used Setup.exe and why it did not live up to your
expectations.

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA

@ 2002-04-18 18:33 ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)