* Bug with Cygwin's 'quilt'
@ 2013-06-18  5:37 Matt D.
From: Matt D. @ 2013-06-18  5:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

The last e-mail I supplied to the mailing list was missing the link to
the example. See this one for the link.

---

There seems to be a problem with Cygwin's quilt. This simple example
simply alters a #define from 'MESAGL' to 'NX_MESAGL'. That's it.

New quilt created, ok.
New patch, ok.
Edit file, ok.
Refresh (create patch), ok.
Rollback changes, ok.
Reapply patch.. error:

   >>> quilt push
   >>> Applying patch test.patch
   >>> patching file Imakefile
   >>> Hunk #1 FAILED at 2.
   >>> 1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- rejects in file Imakefile
   >>> Patch test.patch does not apply (enforce with -f)

http://codespunk.com/files/upload/cygwin_quilt_00.zip

Extract to a directory, cd in, and run 'quilt push' to generate the error.

* Re: Bug with Cygwin's 'quilt'
@ 2013-06-18  5:47 ` Matt D.
From: Matt D. @ 2013-06-18  5:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Built the latest source 0.60 (same version as Cygwin) from
http://freecode.com/projects/quilt. Built on CentOS 6.4 and passes my
previously provided test just fine.

Downloaded the same source to Cygwin, rebuilt, replaced quilt in /bin;
test still errors out. I also tried the latest cygwin1.dll snapshot;
same problem.

On 6/18/2013 1:09 AM, Matt D. wrote:
> The last e-mail I supplied to the mailing list was missing the link to
> the example. See this one for the link.
>
> ---
>
> There seems to be a problem with Cygwin's quilt. This simple example
> simply alters a #define from 'MESAGL' to 'NX_MESAGL'. That's it.
>
> New quilt created, ok.
> New patch, ok.
> Edit file, ok.
> Refresh (create patch), ok.
> Rollback changes, ok.
> Reapply patch.. error:
>
>  >>> quilt push
>  >>> Applying patch test.patch
>  >>> patching file Imakefile
>  >>> Hunk #1 FAILED at 2.
>  >>> 1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- rejects in file Imakefile
>  >>> Patch test.patch does not apply (enforce with -f)
>
> http://codespunk.com/files/upload/cygwin_quilt_00.zip
>
> Extract to a directory, cd in, and run 'quilt push' to generate the error.
>

> --
> Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
> FAQ: http://cygwin.com/faq/
> Documentation: http://cygwin.com/docs.html

* Re: Bug with Cygwin's 'quilt' is actually in 'patch'
@ 2013-06-20  5:47   ` Matt D.
From: Matt D. @ 2013-06-20  5:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I've been looking further into this and it appears as though the problem
is in 'patch' not 'quilt'. quilt is actually a collection of bash
scripts and calls patch to do the actual patching.

Using the same example I provided earlier in the thread, the same error
occurs when calling patch directly:

$ patch Imakefile patches/test.patch

Running dos2unix on test.patch will allow the patch to apply
successfully. However, this is WRONG. Imakefile and the initially
created test.patch both use CRLF line endings. The patch should
definitely NOT apply by introducing actual disparity.

To summarize, the patch to Imakefile (CRLF) will apply if it is
converted to LF line endings. Using the '--binary' switch seems to be a
workaround for this issue.

@ 2013-06-20  6:35     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2013-06-20  6:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 11:31:48PM -0400, Matt D. wrote:
>I've been looking further into this and it appears as though the problem
>is in 'patch' not 'quilt'. quilt is actually a collection of bash
>scripts and calls patch to do the actual patching.
>
>Using the same example I provided earlier in the thread, the same error
>occurs when calling patch directly:
>
>$ patch Imakefile patches/test.patch
>
>Running dos2unix on test.patch will allow the patch to apply
>successfully. However, this is WRONG. Imakefile and the initially
>created test.patch both use CRLF line endings. The patch should
>definitely NOT apply by introducing actual disparity.
>
>To summarize, the patch to Imakefile (CRLF) will apply if it is
>converted to LF line endings. Using the '--binary' switch seems to be a
>workaround for this issue.

Sorry but we're emulating Linux here.  You shouldn't have CRLF endings
on your text file if you want the tools to work reliably.

cgf

* Re: Bug with Cygwin's 'quilt' is actually in 'patch'
@ 2013-06-20  7:44       ` Matt D.
From: Matt D. @ 2013-06-20  7:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I'm building from Linux source from the X2Go git repository. The patches
are being applied downstream to the last base nx libraries provided by
NoMachine. It can't be helped if the original source has CRLF in this case.

I understand that Cygwin is trying to emulate Linux here, but I don't
believe that is the appropriate response regarding tools like 'patch'
which should not have this kind of limitation. The fact that it thinks:

 > \r\n <> \r\n

but..

 > \r\n == \n

As I mentioned previously, patch does NOT have this issue on Linux using
the EXACT SAME test case.

This is definitely a bug.

@ 2013-06-20  8:22     ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2013-06-20  8:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Jun 19 23:31, Matt D. wrote:
> I've been looking further into this and it appears as though the
> problem is in 'patch' not 'quilt'. quilt is actually a collection of
> bash scripts and calls patch to do the actual patching.
>
> Using the same example I provided earlier in the thread, the same
> error occurs when calling patch directly:
>
> $ patch Imakefile patches/test.patch
>
> Running dos2unix on test.patch will allow the patch to apply
> successfully. However, this is WRONG. Imakefile and the initially
> created test.patch both use CRLF line endings. The patch should
> definitely NOT apply by introducing actual disparity.
>
> To summarize, the patch to Imakefile (CRLF) will apply if it is
> converted to LF line endings. Using the '--binary' switch seems to
> be a workaround for this issue.

I can reproduce this problem on 32 bit Cygwin but not on 64 bit Cygwin.

The 64 bit version has a newer patch version 2.7.1, while I so far
neglected to update the 32 bit version which is still on 2.6.1.  I'll
build a new patch 2.7.1 for 32 bit today.  I hope that fixes it for
32 bit as well.  Stay tuned for the announcement.

Corinna

Red Hat

* Re: Bug with Cygwin's 'quilt' is actually in 'patch'
@ 2013-06-21 12:15       ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2013-06-21 12:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: Matt D.

On Jun 20 09:46, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Jun 19 23:31, Matt D. wrote:
> > I've been looking further into this and it appears as though the
> > problem is in 'patch' not 'quilt'. quilt is actually a collection of
> > bash scripts and calls patch to do the actual patching.
> >
> > Using the same example I provided earlier in the thread, the same
> > error occurs when calling patch directly:
> >
> > $ patch Imakefile patches/test.patch
> >
> > Running dos2unix on test.patch will allow the patch to apply
> > successfully. However, this is WRONG. Imakefile and the initially
> > created test.patch both use CRLF line endings. The patch should
> > definitely NOT apply by introducing actual disparity.
> >
> > To summarize, the patch to Imakefile (CRLF) will apply if it is
> > converted to LF line endings. Using the '--binary' switch seems to
> > be a workaround for this issue.
>
> I can reproduce this problem on 32 bit Cygwin but not on 64 bit Cygwin.
>
> The 64 bit version has a newer patch version 2.7.1, while I so far
> neglected to update the 32 bit version which is still on 2.6.1.  I'll
> build a new patch 2.7.1 for 32 bit today.  I hope that fixes it for
> 32 bit as well.  Stay tuned for the announcement.

Matt?  Ping?  Does the new patch 2.7.1 help?

Thanks,
Corinna

Red Hat

* Re: Bug with Cygwin's 'quilt' is actually in 'patch'
@ 2013-06-21 17:06         ` Matt D.
From: Matt D. @ 2013-06-21 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Thank you. I took the time to make certain that I couldn't find any
other lingering problems.

The update to 2.7.1 corrects the test case I submitted previously.

Thanks! :)

@ 2013-07-03 15:35       ` Peter B.
From: Peter B. @ 2013-07-03 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 03.07.2013 15:30 Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Jul  3 15:04, Peter B. wrote:

>>> Please provide a direct link which doesn't require to enable scripting
>>> in a web browser to download.
>>>

>>> Thanks,
>>> Corinna
>>>
>> Please download this picture (jpg) and rename the file suffix to 7z or
>> open with corresponding archiver directly.
>>
>> http://abload.de/img/patchfus75.jpg (99KB)
> Thanks.  The behaviour here is a deliberate upstream choice to apply the
> patch only if the line endings are the same as in the file to patch.
>
> If you really must apply non-CRLF patches to CRLF files, consider using
> a temporary text mount:
> http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-utils.html#mount
>

> Corinna

Sounds like intended behavior. I will try to tackle the problem
otherwise then.

The culprit here is the JavaVM that produces different
EOLs on different platforms (running a binary decompiler -> txt).

Thanks.

* Re: Bug with Cygwin's 'quilt' is actually in 'patch'
@ 2013-07-03 13:30     ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2013-07-03 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2013-07-03 13:07   ` Peter B.
From: Peter B. @ 2013-07-03 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2013-07-03 12:33 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2013-07-03 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2013-07-03  3:05 Peter B.
From: Peter B. @ 2013-07-03  3:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Jun 20 09:46, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> I'll build a new patch 2.7.1 for 32 bit today. I hope that fixes it
> for 32 bit as well.

The new 2.7.1 (32bit) brakes CRLF handling for me completely. The old
2.6.1 works properly. 2.7.1 with text files converted from CRLF to LF
works properly as well.

Can you take a look at the download link below? It includes an example
file (with CRLF), the corresponding patch (LF) and the two binaries
(patch v2.6.1 and v2.7.1).

http://www60.zippyshare.com/v/13352963/file.html

# Does work with CRLF
patch261 -Nls Activity.smali < framework.patch

# Does not work with CRLF
patch271 -Nls Activity.smali < framework.patch