* vim-8.0.1376-1: Possible bug with ruby extensions
@ 2018-02-06 16:37 Ameya Vikram Singh
From: Ameya Vikram Singh @ 2018-02-06 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello,
Maintainers of the ViM/GViM text editor.

I am noticing that currently with the latest build of ViM
editor(vim-8.0.1376-1),
I am unable to use the command-t [1] plugin with this release.

When invoking the functionality with the key combination: `\` + `t`

I get the following error message on the ViM editor:

    command-t.vim requires Vim to be compiled with Ruby support
    For more information type:   :help command-t

When checking the vim feature from the bash terminal using:

    vim --version

I do see in the output `+ruby/dyn`, which means that ruby support
should be enabled.

When checking for ruby compatibility with ViM using the following in
command mode:

    :ruby puts RUBY_VERSION

One gets the following error message:

    E448: Could not load library function rb_assoc_new
    E266: Sorry, this command is disabled, the Ruby library could not be loaded.
    Press ENTER or type command to continue

I will try to rebuild the from the sources (vim-8.0.1376-1-src) and
see if the error persists.

--
Thanks and Regards,
Ameya Vikram Singh

[1] https://github.com/wincent/command-t

* Re: vim-8.0.1376-1: Possible bug with ruby extensions
@ 2018-02-06 18:26 ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2018-02-06 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2018-02-06 09:37, Ameya Vikram Singh wrote:
> Maintainers of the ViM/GViM text editor.
> I am noticing that currently with the latest build of ViM
> editor(vim-8.0.1376-1),
> I am unable to use the command-t [1] plugin with this release.
> When invoking the functionality with the key combination: `\` + `t`
> I get the following error message on the ViM editor:
>     command-t.vim requires Vim to be compiled with Ruby support
>     For more information type:   :help command-t
> When checking the vim feature from the bash terminal using:
>     vim --version
> I do see in the output `+ruby/dyn`, which means that ruby support
> should be enabled.
> When checking for ruby compatibility with ViM using the following in
> command mode:
>     :ruby puts RUBY_VERSION
> One gets the following error message:
>     E448: Could not load library function rb_assoc_new
>     E266: Sorry, this command is disabled, the Ruby library could not be loaded.
>     Press ENTER or type command to continue
> I will try to rebuild the from the sources (vim-8.0.1376-1-src) and
> see if the error persists.

You need to install the ruby package to provide the dynamic library for support.

* Re: vim-8.0.1376-1: Possible bug with ruby extensions
@ 2018-02-09  2:51 ` Ameya Vikram Singh
From: Ameya Vikram Singh @ 2018-02-09  2:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello,

I tried the latest ViM package(vim-8.0.1428-1).
Even the current version has the same problem.

I do have the **ruby** runtime libraries installed and even the
development headers package also installed.

The only known latest version supported was vim-8.0.1157-1 which
currently has been removed from the repository.
You can find the first report reference here:

Thanks and Regards,
Ameya Vikram Singh

* Re: vim-8.0.1376-1: Possible bug with ruby extensions
@ 2018-02-09 18:35   ` Yaakov Selkowitz
From: Yaakov Selkowitz @ 2018-02-09 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2018-02-08 20:51, Ameya Vikram Singh wrote:
> I tried the latest ViM package(vim-8.0.1428-1).
> Even the current version has the same problem.
>
> I do have the **ruby** runtime libraries installed and even the
> development headers package also installed.

Confirmed.  The configure script changed how it was detecting the Ruby
shared library in a way which was unportable to non-ELF platforms.  A
fix will be included in the next release.

Thanks for reporting,

--
Yaakov