* How does Cygwin handle non-Latin1 man pages? (move to UTF-8?)
@ 2013-09-24 20:29 Erwin Waterlander
From: Erwin Waterlander @ 2013-09-24 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

As far as I see it, on Cygwin it is assumed that man pages are encoded
in Latin-1 (ISO-8859-1).
For instance the man pages of vim.

/usr/share/man/fr/vim.1.gz is encoded in Latin-1.

$ export LANG=fr_FR.UTF-8
$ man vim

This will show the French man page correctly. Latin-1 is converted to UTF-8.

For the Russian translation of the vim manual I see two files:
/usr/share/man/ru.UTF-8/man1/vim.1.gz
/usr/share/man/ru.KOI8-R/man1/vim.1.gz

When I type
$ export LANG=ru_RU.UTF-8
$ man vim

I get the English man page, instead of the Russian man page.
I think because there is no /usr/share/man/ru/man1/vim.1.gz present.

When I type

$ export LANG=ru_RU.UTF-8
$ export LANGUAGE=ru.UTF-8
$ man vim

The Russian man page is displayed, but all Russian characters are
wrongly displayed.
I think because it is assumed the man page is in Latin-1.

To get a correct display of the Russian man page I need to change
/etc/man.config
I change the line with NROFF to:
NROFF         /usr/bin/preconv | /usr/bin/nroff -c -mandoc 2>/dev/null

Now the Russian man page displays correctly, but now all the Latin-1
pages display wrongly.

So I undo my change in /etc/man.conf

On Linux the trend is to convert all man pages to UTF-8 encoding.
Will Cygwin follow this trend?

regards,

--
Erwin Waterlander
http://waterlan.home.xs4all.nl/

* Re: How does Cygwin handle non-Latin1 man pages? (move to UTF-8?)
@ 2013-09-25 19:59 ` Erwin Waterlander
From: Erwin Waterlander @ 2013-09-25 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Erwin Waterlander schreef, Op 24-9-2013 22:01:
> Hi,
>
> As far as I see it, on Cygwin it is assumed that man pages are encoded
> in Latin-1 (ISO-8859-1).
> For instance the man pages of vim.
>
> /usr/share/man/fr/vim.1.gz is encoded in Latin-1.
>
> $ export LANG=fr_FR.UTF-8
> $ man vim
>
> This will show the French man page correctly. Latin-1 is converted to
> UTF-8.
>
> For the Russian translation of the vim manual I see two files:
> /usr/share/man/ru.UTF-8/man1/vim.1.gz
> /usr/share/man/ru.KOI8-R/man1/vim.1.gz
>

> When I type
> $ export LANG=ru_RU.UTF-8
> $ man vim
>
> I get the English man page, instead of the Russian man page.
> I think because there is no /usr/share/man/ru/man1/vim.1.gz present.

The problem is here that man looks for the manual in these directories
in this order:
/usr/share/man/ru_RU.UTF-8
/usr/share/man/ru_RU
/usr/share/man/ru

All three paths are not present on Cygwin.
I could set LANG to ru.UTF-8, but this is not common practice. Normally
you set LANG to ru_RU.UTF-8. Therefore I think that the non-Latin1
folders under /usr/share/man have the wrong name.
When I set LANG to ru.UTF-8, man finds the Russian man page, but
displays it wrongly. Even when I fix the NROFF line in /etc/man.conf.
Moving /usr/share/man/ru.UTF-8 to /usr/share/man/ru_RU.UTF-8 (and fixing
man.conf) makes the man page display properly. This confirms that the
non-latin1 directories have the wrong name in Cygwin.

> When I type
>
> $ export LANG=ru_RU.UTF-8
> $ export LANGUAGE=ru.UTF-8
> $ man vim
>
> The Russian man page is displayed, but all Russian characters are
> wrongly displayed.
> I think because it is assumed the man page is in Latin-1.
>
> To get a correct display of the Russian man page I need to change
> /etc/man.config
> I change the line with NROFF to:
> NROFF         /usr/bin/preconv | /usr/bin/nroff -c -mandoc 2>/dev/null
>
> Now the Russian man page displays correctly, but now all the Latin-1
> pages display wrongly.

This can be fixed by adding a coding tag to the first or second line of
the man page, which is understood by preconv.
When I set LANG to fr_FR.UTF-8, move /usr/share/man/fr.UTF-8 to
/usr/share/man/fr_FR.UTF-8, and add this tag to vim.1

.\" -*- coding: latin-1; -*-

The French manual displays properly.

> So I undo my change in /etc/man.conf
>

> On Linux the trend is to convert all man pages to UTF-8 encoding.
> Will Cygwin follow this trend?

The following needs to be done in Cygwin to have man pages for all
scripts displayed properly out of the box (assuming an UTF-8 locale and
use of mintty):

* Rename the non-latin1 directories under /usr/share/man/ to
fr_FR.UTF-8, ru_RU.UTF-8, and so on.
* Change /etc/man.conf to use preconv:
NROFF         /usr/bin/preconv | /usr/bin/nroff -c -mandoc 2>/dev/null
* Convert all Latin-1 coded man pages to UTF-8, or add a latin-1 coding
tag on the first line.

regards,

--

@ 2013-09-25 20:10   ` Erwin Waterlander
From: Erwin Waterlander @ 2013-09-25 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Erwin Waterlander schreef, Op 25-9-2013 21:50:

> Erwin Waterlander schreef, Op 24-9-2013 22:01:
>> Hi,
>>
>> As far as I see it, on Cygwin it is assumed that man pages are
>> encoded in Latin-1 (ISO-8859-1).
>> For instance the man pages of vim.
>>
>> /usr/share/man/fr/vim.1.gz is encoded in Latin-1.
>>
>> $ export LANG=fr_FR.UTF-8
>> $ man vim
>>
>> This will show the French man page correctly. Latin-1 is converted to
>> UTF-8.
>>
>> For the Russian translation of the vim manual I see two files:
>> /usr/share/man/ru.UTF-8/man1/vim.1.gz
>> /usr/share/man/ru.KOI8-R/man1/vim.1.gz
>>

>> When I type
>> $ export LANG=ru_RU.UTF-8
>> $ man vim
>>
>> I get the English man page, instead of the Russian man page.
>> I think because there is no /usr/share/man/ru/man1/vim.1.gz present.
>>

> The problem is here that man looks for the manual in these directories
> in this order:
> /usr/share/man/ru_RU.UTF-8
> /usr/share/man/ru_RU
> /usr/share/man/ru
>
> All three paths are not present on Cygwin.
> I could set LANG to ru.UTF-8, but this is not common practice.
> Normally you set LANG to ru_RU.UTF-8. Therefore I think that the
> non-Latin1 folders under /usr/share/man have the wrong name.
> When I set LANG to ru.UTF-8, man finds the Russian man page, but
> displays it wrongly. Even when I fix the NROFF line in /etc/man.conf.
> Moving /usr/share/man/ru.UTF-8 to /usr/share/man/ru_RU.UTF-8 (and
> fixing man.conf) makes the man page display properly. This confirms
> that the non-latin1 directories have the wrong name in Cygwin.
>
>> When I type
>>
>> $ export LANG=ru_RU.UTF-8
>> $ export LANGUAGE=ru.UTF-8
>> $ man vim
>>
>> The Russian man page is displayed, but all Russian characters are
>> wrongly displayed.
>> I think because it is assumed the man page is in Latin-1.
>>
>> To get a correct display of the Russian man page I need to change
>> /etc/man.config
>> I change the line with NROFF to:
>> NROFF         /usr/bin/preconv | /usr/bin/nroff -c -mandoc 2>/dev/null
>>
>> Now the Russian man page displays correctly, but now all the Latin-1
>> pages display wrongly.
>
> This can be fixed by adding a coding tag to the first or second line
> of the man page, which is understood by preconv.
> When I set LANG to fr_FR.UTF-8, move /usr/share/man/fr.UTF-8 to
> /usr/share/man/fr_FR.UTF-8, and add this tag to vim.1
>
> .\" -*- coding: latin-1; -*-
>
> The French manual displays properly.

Actually this is not working. Somewhere the coding tag is lost, although
preconv seems to do a good job. I reported this three years ago to the
maintainers of man an groff, but it appears it is still not fixed.

>> So I undo my change in /etc/man.conf
>>

>> On Linux the trend is to convert all man pages to UTF-8 encoding.
>> Will Cygwin follow this trend?
>>

> The following needs to be done in Cygwin to have man pages for all
> scripts displayed properly out of the box (assuming an UTF-8 locale
> and use of mintty):
>
> * Rename the non-latin1 directories under /usr/share/man/ to
> fr_FR.UTF-8, ru_RU.UTF-8, and so on.
> * Change /etc/man.conf to use preconv:
> NROFF         /usr/bin/preconv | /usr/bin/nroff -c -mandoc 2>/dev/null
> * Convert all Latin-1 coded man pages to UTF-8, or add a latin-1
> coding tag on the first line

Since the coding tag is not working it is best to convert all man pages
to UTF-8.

--
Erwin Waterlander
http://waterlan.home.xs4all.nl/

* Cygwin needs a man-db port (was: How does Cygwin handle non-Latin1 man pages? (move to UTF-8?))
@ 2014-03-14 12:58     ` Erwin Waterlander
From: Erwin Waterlander @ 2014-03-14 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

The major linux distributions have switched for their man system to
'man-db' (http://man-db.nongnu.org/) in favour of the classic man.

I think that Cygwin should also switch to man-db. man-db is much better
in handling man pages in different encoding.

Before man-db, libpipeline (http://libpipeline.nongnu.org/) needs to be
ported, because man-db uses it.

I have tried to port man-db to Cygwin, but I did not succeed. I got
stuck in libpipeline. Did anyone else succeed?

regards,

Erwin

--
Erwin Waterlander
http://waterlan.home.xs4all.nl/

* Re: Cygwin needs a man-db port
@ 2014-03-14 13:52       ` Chris J. Breisch
From: Chris J. Breisch @ 2014-03-14 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Erwin Waterlander wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The major linux distributions have switched for their man system to
> 'man-db' (http://man-db.nongnu.org/) in favour of the classic man.
>
> I think that Cygwin should also switch to man-db. man-db is much better
> in handling man pages in different encoding.
>
> Before man-db, libpipeline (http://libpipeline.nongnu.org/) needs to be
> ported, because man-db uses it.
>
> I have tried to port man-db to Cygwin, but I did not succeed. I got
> stuck in libpipeline. Did anyone else succeed?
>
> regards,
>
> Erwin

I downloaded the latest version of libpipeline. It builds fine, but all
the tests fail with the following error:
/usr/src/ports/check/check-0.9.10-1/src/check-0.9.10/src/check_run.c:431: Error
in call to timer_create: Invalid argument

So, I downloaded the source for check. The version of check that we have
is a little out-of-date, but at a first glance, the code for
timer_create looks okay to me.

Hmmm...I built check using the cygport file and then went into the tests
folder and did a "make check" there. 5 of 6 tests failed and with that
exact same error.

The version of check we have is 0.9.10 from April, 2013. The ChangeLog
for 0.9.11 from November of 2013 contains the following:

	Wed, Nov 4, 2013: Released Check 0.9.11
	  based on r856 (2013-11-04 02:09:21 +0000)

	* Check compiles for Windows using the Cygwin environment, and all unit
tests pass.

There's also a check 0.9.12 from January of this year.

It appears to me that we should upgrade check to at least 0.9.11, as I'm
unconvinced that the current version is working.

--
Chris J. Breisch

* Re: Cygwin needs a man-db port
@ 2014-03-14 14:38         ` Erwin Waterlander
From: Erwin Waterlander @ 2014-03-14 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Op 14-3-2014 13:58 Chris J. Breisch schreef:
> Erwin Waterlander wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> The major linux distributions have switched for their man system to
>> 'man-db' (http://man-db.nongnu.org/) in favour of the classic man.
>>
>> I think that Cygwin should also switch to man-db. man-db is much better
>> in handling man pages in different encoding.
>>
>> Before man-db, libpipeline (http://libpipeline.nongnu.org/) needs to be
>> ported, because man-db uses it.
>>
>> I have tried to port man-db to Cygwin, but I did not succeed. I got
>> stuck in libpipeline. Did anyone else succeed?
>>
>> regards,
>>
>> Erwin
>>

> I downloaded the latest version of libpipeline. It builds fine, but
> all the tests fail with the following error:
> /usr/src/ports/check/check-0.9.10-1/src/check-0.9.10/src/check_run.c:431:
> Error in call to timer_create: Invalid argument
>
> So, I downloaded the source for check. The version of check that we
> have is a little out-of-date, but at a first glance, the code for
> timer_create looks okay to me.
>
> Hmmm...I built check using the cygport file and then went into the
> tests folder and did a "make check" there. 5 of 6 tests failed and
> with that exact same error.
>
> The version of check we have is 0.9.10 from April, 2013. The ChangeLog
> for 0.9.11 from November of 2013 contains the following:
>
>     Wed, Nov 4, 2013: Released Check 0.9.11
>       based on r856 (2013-11-04 02:09:21 +0000)
>
>     * Check compiles for Windows using the Cygwin environment, and all
> unit tests pass.
>
> There's also a check 0.9.12 from January of this year.
>
> It appears to me that we should upgrade check to at least 0.9.11, as
> I'm unconvinced that the current version is working.

It was in October when I tried. I also could get libpipelines and man-db
compiled, but it did not work properly. I had also failing tests in the
libpipeline package. In the end I could display a man page in Russian
and English of Vim, but man-db coredumped on the Fench man page.

I remember there were indeed problems with 'check'. At that time this
bug, http://sourceforge.net/p/check/bugs/88/, was still open. The author
of man-db suggested to set CK_FORK=no in the environment. That helped
for several tests, but the first test of libpipelines kept failing.

I also had a problem that I always got static libraries instead of shared.
Even when I explicitly configure with --enable-static=no
--enable-shared=yes.

regards,

--

@ 2014-03-14 15:52           ` Chris J. Breisch
From: Chris J. Breisch @ 2014-03-14 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Erwin Waterlander wrote:
> Op 14-3-2014 13:58 Chris J. Breisch schreef:
>>

>> There's also a check 0.9.12 from January of this year.
>>
>> It appears to me that we should upgrade check to at least 0.9.11, as
>> I'm unconvinced that the current version is working.
>>

> It was in October when I tried. I also could get libpipelines and man-db
> compiled, but it did not work properly. I had also failing tests in the
> libpipeline package. In the end I could display a man page in Russian
> and English of Vim, but man-db coredumped on the Fench man page.
>
> I remember there were indeed problems with 'check'. At that time this
> bug, http://sourceforge.net/p/check/bugs/88/, was still open. The author
> of man-db suggested to set CK_FORK=no in the environment. That helped
> for several tests, but the first test of libpipelines kept failing.
>
> I also had a problem that I always got static libraries instead of shared.
> Even when I explicitly configure with --enable-static=no
> --enable-shared=yes.
>
> regards,

I downloaded and built the latest version of check, and it seems to work
much better. I still have issues with libpipelines tests. It appears
that there is a 32/64-bit issue somewhere. I'm using Cygwin x64. Many of
the tests fail with issues similar to the following:

/home/Chris/Stuff/non-GNU/libpipeline/build/tests/../../libpipeline-1.2.6/tests/exec.c:114:(.text+0x121):
relocation truncated to fit: R_X86_64_PC32 against undefined symbol
`_ck_assert_failed'

I can dig a little deeper into this, and I can also try a 32-bit
version, but not until later. I don't even have a 32-bit install of
Cygwin on this box, and I'd have to figure out exactly what packages I'd
need to build check and libpipeline.

--
Chris J. Breisch

* Re: Cygwin needs a man-db port
@ 2014-03-14 16:29             ` Erwin Waterlander
From: Erwin Waterlander @ 2014-03-14 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Op 14-3-2014 15:24 Chris J. Breisch schreef:
> Erwin Waterlander wrote:
>> Op 14-3-2014 13:58 Chris J. Breisch schreef:
>>>

>>> There's also a check 0.9.12 from January of this year.
>>>
>>> It appears to me that we should upgrade check to at least 0.9.11, as
>>> I'm unconvinced that the current version is working.
>>>

>> It was in October when I tried. I also could get libpipelines and man-db
>> compiled, but it did not work properly. I had also failing tests in the
>> libpipeline package. In the end I could display a man page in Russian
>> and English of Vim, but man-db coredumped on the Fench man page.
>>
>> I remember there were indeed problems with 'check'. At that time this
>> bug, http://sourceforge.net/p/check/bugs/88/, was still open. The author
>> of man-db suggested to set CK_FORK=no in the environment. That helped
>> for several tests, but the first test of libpipelines kept failing.
>>
>> I also had a problem that I always got static libraries instead of
>> shared.
>> Even when I explicitly configure with --enable-static=no
>> --enable-shared=yes.
>>
>> regards,
>>
> I downloaded and built the latest version of check, and it seems to
> work much better. I still have issues with libpipelines tests. It
> appears that there is a 32/64-bit issue somewhere. I'm using Cygwin
> x64. Many of the tests fail with issues similar to the following:
>
> /home/Chris/Stuff/non-GNU/libpipeline/build/tests/../../libpipeline-1.2.6/tests/exec.c:114:(.text+0x121):
> relocation truncated to fit: R_X86_64_PC32 against undefined symbol
> `_ck_assert_failed'
>
> I can dig a little deeper into this, and I can also try a 32-bit
> version, but not until later. I don't even have a 32-bit install of
> Cygwin on this box, and I'd have to figure out exactly what packages
> I'd need to build check and libpipeline.

I ran it on 32 bit cygwin, I did not try 64 bit. But is should work on
both of course.

--

@ 2014-03-14 17:05             ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2014-03-14 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mar 14 10:24, Chris J. Breisch wrote:
> Erwin Waterlander wrote:
> >Op 14-3-2014 13:58 Chris J. Breisch schreef:
> >>

> >>There's also a check 0.9.12 from January of this year.
> >>
> >>It appears to me that we should upgrade check to at least 0.9.11, as
> >>I'm unconvinced that the current version is working.
> >>

> >It was in October when I tried. I also could get libpipelines and man-db
> >compiled, but it did not work properly. I had also failing tests in the
> >libpipeline package. In the end I could display a man page in Russian
> >and English of Vim, but man-db coredumped on the Fench man page.
> >
> >I remember there were indeed problems with 'check'. At that time this
> >bug, http://sourceforge.net/p/check/bugs/88/, was still open. The author
> >of man-db suggested to set CK_FORK=no in the environment. That helped
> >for several tests, but the first test of libpipelines kept failing.
> >
> >I also had a problem that I always got static libraries instead of shared.
> >Even when I explicitly configure with --enable-static=no
> >--enable-shared=yes.
> >
> >regards,
> >
> I downloaded and built the latest version of check, and it seems to
> work much better. I still have issues with libpipelines tests. It
> appears that there is a 32/64-bit issue somewhere. I'm using Cygwin
> x64. Many of the tests fail with issues similar to the following:
>
> /home/Chris/Stuff/non-GNU/libpipeline/build/tests/../../libpipeline-1.2.6/tests/exec.c:114:(.text+0x121):
> relocation truncated to fit: R_X86_64_PC32 against undefined symbol
> `_ck_assert_failed'

The "relocation truncated to fit" gcc error message on 64 bit systems is
a red herring.  It's in fact just what it says, there's an undefined
symbol.  Off the top of my head I don't know where ck_assert_failed is
defined, probably some library, but the leading underscore is suspicious.
The 64 bit ABI does not prepend underscores to symbol names as the 32
bit ABI does.

Corinna

Red Hat

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 819 bytes --]

* Re: Cygwin needs a man-db port
@ 2014-03-14 19:22               ` Chris J. Breisch
From: Chris J. Breisch @ 2014-03-14 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Mar 14 10:24, Chris J. Breisch wrote:
>> I downloaded and built the latest version of check, and it seems to
>> work much better. I still have issues with libpipelines tests. It
>> appears that there is a 32/64-bit issue somewhere. I'm using Cygwin
>> x64. Many of the tests fail with issues similar to the following:
>>
>> /home/Chris/Stuff/non-GNU/libpipeline/build/tests/../../libpipeline-1.2.6/tests/exec.c:114:(.text+0x121):
>> relocation truncated to fit: R_X86_64_PC32 against undefined symbol
>> `_ck_assert_failed'
>
> The "relocation truncated to fit" gcc error message on 64 bit systems is
> a red herring.  It's in fact just what it says, there's an undefined
> symbol.  Off the top of my head I don't know where ck_assert_failed is
> defined, probably some library, but the leading underscore is suspicious.
> The 64 bit ABI does not prepend underscores to symbol names as the 32
> bit ABI does.
>

> Corinna

Oh. Thanks, Corinna. I'll dig more when I get a chance.

--
Chris J. Breisch

* Re: Cygwin needs a man-db port
@ 2014-03-16 11:43               ` Chris J. Breisch
From: Chris J. Breisch @ 2014-03-16 11:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> The "relocation truncated to fit" gcc error message on 64 bit systems is
> a red herring.  It's in fact just what it says, there's an undefined
> symbol.  Off the top of my head I don't know where ck_assert_failed is
> defined, probably some library, but the leading underscore is suspicious.
> The 64 bit ABI does not prepend underscores to symbol names as the 32
> bit ABI does.
>

> Corinna

Ok, this was my fault. Not wanting to overwrite the existing install of
"check" since I was testing, I put it in /usr/local. I then neglected to
add /usr/local/lib to my LIBRARY_PATH. _ck_assert_failed is the name of
the function, complete with leading underscore. When I allowed the
linker to actually link against the correct version of the library,
things worked much better.

I then ran into the following error:
Running suite(s): Basic
/home/Chris/Stuff/non-GNU/libpipeline/build/tests/./.libs/basic: can't
execute sh: No such file or directory
87%: Checks: 8, Failures: 0, Errors: 1
../../libpipeline-1.2.6/tests/basic.c:170:E:clearenv:test_basic_clearenv:0:
(after this point) Received signal 11 (Segmentation fault)

That's the only failure. 6 other tests pass.

I'm not yet sure why it can't find "sh" unless it's not looking in $PATH
or $PATH has been obliterated somehow.

Still digging...

--
Chris J. Breisch

* Re: Cygwin needs a man-db port
@ 2014-04-17 18:32       ` Chris J. Breisch
                           ` (3 more replies)
From: Chris J. Breisch @ 2014-04-17 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Erwin Waterlander wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The major linux distributions have switched for their man system to
> 'man-db' (http://man-db.nongnu.org/) in favour of the classic man.
>
> I think that Cygwin should also switch to man-db. man-db is much better
> in handling man pages in different encoding.
>
> Before man-db, libpipeline (http://libpipeline.nongnu.org/) needs to be
> ported, because man-db uses it.
>
> I have tried to port man-db to Cygwin, but I did not succeed. I got
> stuck in libpipeline. Did anyone else succeed?

Yes. And I agree this is a good idea.

Dependencies: gdbm, libpipeline

Build dependencies: pkgconfig, check, and the typical build stuff (make,
gcc, etc.)

As I indicated earlier, I believe the current version of check is not
working properly.

Check-0.9.12 seems to work out-of-the-box. Configure with --prefix=/usr.

"make check" on check reports all tests passed, despite what appear to
be some failures. The CHANGELOG says that this version should pass all
tests on Cygwin. I've just subscribed to the mailing list and will check
on whether these failures can be ignored or not. Still, it definitely
appears to work better than the version we have now, which only passes 1
test in the test suite.

Libpipeline-1.3.0 seems to work out-of-the-box. Configure with
--prefix=/usr.

Oddly a "make check" for libpipeline-1.3.0 doesn't appear to actually do
anything. This was not the case for earlier versions of libpipeline.
Well, that's one way of getting rid of the test failures, I guess.

Man-db-2.6.7 appears to work out-of-the-box.

Configuring man-db is a little harder than the other two.

../man-db-2.6.7/configure --prefix=/usr --disable-setuid
--docdir=/usr/share/doc/man-db

If you don't add the --disable-setuid, you'll need to add a "man" user
to your system. If you're not using Corinna's snapshots, you'll need to
add the user to /etc/passwd as well.

I'm not sure about the --docdir switch. That seemed to be consistent
with Cygwin, but an actual package maintainer would be a better source
of info on this.

A couple of warnings are generated:

*** Warning: This system can not link to static lib archive
/usr/lib/libpipeline.la.
*** you link to this library.  But I can only do this if you have a
*** shared version of the library, which you do not appear to have.

and a similar one for libman.la.

I do have shared versions of these libraries, so I'm not sure why the
warnings appear. I seem to recall a thread about something similar
recently in the Cygwin mailing lists. I may go back and check.

Once installed, you'll want to do a 'mandb -c' to create the database.
It will report numerous warnings which can generally be ignored. See the
manpage on mandb. This takes a while.

When new packages are added or updated on your system, you should run
'mandb -c' again. This seems like something that should be part of
postinstall.

My 32-bit Cygwin install has a lot of gzipped files and the uncompressed
versions under /usr/share/man. mandb didn't like that at all. That is
probably something I did and not a Cygwin problem.

Note that I've done only the most minimal of testing. make check passes
for man-db and I've opened a few man pages. They seem to work.

Obviously, someone with decision making power should decide if this is
something we want to add to Cygwin. My vote is yes, but that's just one
vote. Or maybe even zero. I'm not sure I get a vote. :)

Also obviously, if the decision is to go forward, these three items need
to be packaged up appropriately and a package maintainer assigned. Check
is already a Cygwin package, but needs updating.

Somehow I have a feeling about who will be nominated for this task.

What minimal testing I have done has been on both 32-bit and 64-bit
Cygwin 1.7.29.

--
Chris J. Breisch

* Re: Cygwin needs a man-db port
@ 2014-04-20  6:41         ` Erwin Waterlander
                           ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Erwin Waterlander @ 2014-04-20  6:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

op 17-04-14 20:32, Chris J. Breisch schreef:
> [...]
>
> My 32-bit Cygwin install has a lot of gzipped files and the
> uncompressed versions under /usr/share/man. mandb didn't like that at
> all. That is probably something I did and not a Cygwin problem.
>
> Note that I've done only the most minimal of testing. make check
> passes for man-db and I've opened a few man pages. They seem to work.
>
> Obviously, someone with decision making power should decide if this is
> something we want to add to Cygwin. My vote is yes, but that's just
> one vote. Or maybe even zero. I'm not sure I get a vote. :)
>
> Also obviously, if the decision is to go forward, these three items
> need to be packaged up appropriately and a package maintainer
> assigned. Check is already a Cygwin package, but needs updating.
>
> Somehow I have a feeling about who will be nominated for this task.
>
> What minimal testing I have done has been on both 32-bit and 64-bit

Hi Chris,

Thanks for all the good work! I will see if I can reproduce your work
and do some testing. First I make a new dos2unix release for Cygwin
which comes now with several new translations of the man page, all in
UTF-8. This will break with the standard man configuration of Cygwin. I
will use it also for testing man-db.

My vote is also yes. Now we have already two votes :)

best regards,

Erwin Waterlander

* Re: Cygwin needs a man-db port
@ 2014-04-21 20:41         ` waterlan
From: waterlan @ 2014-04-21 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: yselkowitz

Chris J. Breisch schreef op 2014-04-17 20:32:
> Erwin Waterlander wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> The major linux distributions have switched for their man system to
>> 'man-db' (http://man-db.nongnu.org/) in favour of the classic man.
>>
>> I think that Cygwin should also switch to man-db. man-db is much
>> better
>> in handling man pages in different encoding.
>>
>> Before man-db, libpipeline (http://libpipeline.nongnu.org/) needs to
>> be
>> ported, because man-db uses it.
>>
>> I have tried to port man-db to Cygwin, but I did not succeed. I got
>> stuck in libpipeline. Did anyone else succeed?
>>

> Yes. And I agree this is a good idea.
>
> Dependencies: gdbm, libpipeline
>
> Build dependencies: pkgconfig, check, and the typical build stuff
> (make, gcc, etc.)
>
> As I indicated earlier, I believe the current version of check is not
> working properly.
>
> Check-0.9.12 seems to work out-of-the-box. Configure with
> --prefix=/usr.

Hi Yaakov,

Would you like to update check to version 0.9.12?

best regards,

Erwin

--

@ 2014-04-22  3:04           ` KIMURA Masaru
From: KIMURA Masaru @ 2014-04-22  3:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: yselkowitz

Hi,

sorry for METOO(tm) notice.
but check-0.9.10 is totally broken on cygwin.

http://sourceforge.net/p/check/bugs/88/

one of following should apply ASAP IMHO.

 * remove 0.9.10 and stick 0.9.8
 * remove 0.9.10 and bump 0.9.11 or later

Peace,

* Re: Cygwin needs a man-db port
@ 2014-04-23 15:18         ` Chris J. Breisch
From: Chris J. Breisch @ 2014-04-23 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Chris J. Breisch wrote:

> Check-0.9.12 seems to work out-of-the-box. Configure with --prefix=/usr.
>
> "make check" on check reports all tests passed, despite what appear to
> be some failures. The CHANGELOG says that this version should pass all
> tests on Cygwin. I've just subscribed to the mailing list and will check
> on whether these failures can be ignored or not. Still, it definitely
> appears to work better than the version we have now, which only passes 1
> test in the test suite.

Just to follow-up on this a bit more.

I misunderstood the results from check's check. I should learn just to
trust the summary results. The tests passed.

> Libpipeline-1.3.0 seems to work out-of-the-box. Configure with
> --prefix=/usr.
>
> Oddly a "make check" for libpipeline-1.3.0 doesn't appear to actually do
> anything. This was not the case for earlier versions of libpipeline.
> Well, that's one way of getting rid of the test failures, I guess.

I must have done something wrong in the build before I sent this.
Re-building libpipeline does cause 'make check' to execute the tests. I
got one failure. I've talked to the owner of the project, and he's sent
me a patch that does eliminate the failure. So I now have a libpipeline
where all tests pass under Cygwin.

I still get the shared library warnings when building man-db. I haven't
yet investigated that.

--
Chris J. Breisch

* Re: Cygwin needs a man-db port
@ 2014-04-24 18:30           ` waterlan
From: waterlan @ 2014-04-24 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Chris J. Breisch schreef op 2014-04-23 17:18:
> Chris J. Breisch wrote:
>>
>> Check-0.9.12 seems to work out-of-the-box. Configure with
>> --prefix=/usr.
>>
>> "make check" on check reports all tests passed, despite what appear to
>> be some failures. The CHANGELOG says that this version should pass all
>> tests on Cygwin. I've just subscribed to the mailing list and will
>> check
>> on whether these failures can be ignored or not. Still, it definitely
>> appears to work better than the version we have now, which only passes
>> 1
>> test in the test suite.
>
> Just to follow-up on this a bit more.
>
> I misunderstood the results from check's check. I should learn just to
> trust the summary results. The tests passed.
>>
>> Libpipeline-1.3.0 seems to work out-of-the-box. Configure with
>> --prefix=/usr.
>>
>> Oddly a "make check" for libpipeline-1.3.0 doesn't appear to actually
>> do
>> anything. This was not the case for earlier versions of libpipeline.
>> Well, that's one way of getting rid of the test failures, I guess.
>>

> I must have done something wrong in the build before I sent this.
> Re-building libpipeline does cause 'make check' to execute the tests.
> I got one failure. I've talked to the owner of the project, and he's
> sent me a patch that does eliminate the failure. So I now have a
> libpipeline where all tests pass under Cygwin.

Hi Chris,

Would you like to send the patch to me?

> I still get the shared library warnings when building man-db. I
> haven't yet investigated that.

regards,

--
Erwin Waterlander
http://waterlan.home.xs4all.nl/

* Re: Cygwin needs a man-db port
                           ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2014-04-24 19:43         ` waterlan
From: waterlan @ 2014-04-24 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Chris J. Breisch schreef op 2014-04-17 20:32:
> Erwin Waterlander wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> The major linux distributions have switched for their man system to
>> 'man-db' (http://man-db.nongnu.org/) in favour of the classic man.
>>
>> I think that Cygwin should also switch to man-db. man-db is much
>> better
>> in handling man pages in different encoding.
>>
>> Before man-db, libpipeline (http://libpipeline.nongnu.org/) needs to
>> be
>> ported, because man-db uses it.
>>
>> I have tried to port man-db to Cygwin, but I did not succeed. I got
>> stuck in libpipeline. Did anyone else succeed?
>>

> Yes. And I agree this is a good idea.
>
> Dependencies: gdbm, libpipeline
>
> Build dependencies: pkgconfig, check, and the typical build stuff
> (make, gcc, etc.)
>
> As I indicated earlier, I believe the current version of check is not
> working properly.
>
> Check-0.9.12 seems to work out-of-the-box. Configure with
> --prefix=/usr.
>
> "make check" on check reports all tests passed, despite what appear to
> be some failures. The CHANGELOG says that this version should pass all
> tests on Cygwin. I've just subscribed to the mailing list and will
> check on whether these failures can be ignored or not. Still, it
> definitely appears to work better than the version we have now, which
> only passes 1 test in the test suite.
>
> Libpipeline-1.3.0 seems to work out-of-the-box. Configure with
> --prefix=/usr.
>
> Oddly a "make check" for libpipeline-1.3.0 doesn't appear to actually
> do anything. This was not the case for earlier versions of
> libpipeline. Well, that's one way of getting rid of the test failures,
> I guess.
>
> Man-db-2.6.7 appears to work out-of-the-box.
>
> Configuring man-db is a little harder than the other two.
>
> ../man-db-2.6.7/configure --prefix=/usr --disable-setuid
> --docdir=/usr/share/doc/man-db

When I run that I get this error:

checking for db1/db.h... no
checking ndbm.h usability... no
checking ndbm.h presence... no
checking for ndbm.h... no
configure: error: Fatal: no supported database library/header found

--

@ 2014-04-24 22:10           ` waterlan
From: waterlan @ 2014-04-24 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

waterlan schreef op 2014-04-24 21:43:
> Chris J. Breisch schreef op 2014-04-17 20:32:
>> Erwin Waterlander wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> The major linux distributions have switched for their man system to
>>> 'man-db' (http://man-db.nongnu.org/) in favour of the classic man.
>>>
>>> I think that Cygwin should also switch to man-db. man-db is much
>>> better
>>> in handling man pages in different encoding.
>>>
>>> Before man-db, libpipeline (http://libpipeline.nongnu.org/) needs to
>>> be
>>> ported, because man-db uses it.
>>>
>>> I have tried to port man-db to Cygwin, but I did not succeed. I got
>>> stuck in libpipeline. Did anyone else succeed?
>>>

>> Yes. And I agree this is a good idea.
>>
>> Dependencies: gdbm, libpipeline
>>
>> Build dependencies: pkgconfig, check, and the typical build stuff
>> (make, gcc, etc.)
>>
>> As I indicated earlier, I believe the current version of check is not
>> working properly.
>>
>> Check-0.9.12 seems to work out-of-the-box. Configure with
>> --prefix=/usr.
>>
>> "make check" on check reports all tests passed, despite what appear to
>> be some failures. The CHANGELOG says that this version should pass all
>> tests on Cygwin. I've just subscribed to the mailing list and will
>> check on whether these failures can be ignored or not. Still, it
>> definitely appears to work better than the version we have now, which
>> only passes 1 test in the test suite.
>>
>> Libpipeline-1.3.0 seems to work out-of-the-box. Configure with
>> --prefix=/usr.
>>
>> Oddly a "make check" for libpipeline-1.3.0 doesn't appear to actually
>> do anything. This was not the case for earlier versions of
>> libpipeline. Well, that's one way of getting rid of the test failures,
>> I guess.
>>
>> Man-db-2.6.7 appears to work out-of-the-box.
>>
>> Configuring man-db is a little harder than the other two.
>>
>> ../man-db-2.6.7/configure --prefix=/usr --disable-setuid
>> --docdir=/usr/share/doc/man-db
>
> When I run that I get this error:
>
> checking for db1/db.h... no
> checking ndbm.h usability... no
> checking ndbm.h presence... no
> checking for ndbm.h... no
> configure: error: Fatal: no supported database library/header found

I needed to install gdbm-devel and then I could install man-db.

>> If you don't add the --disable-setuid, you'll need to add a "man" user
>> to your system. If you're not using Corinna's snapshots, you'll need
>> to add the user to /etc/passwd as well.
>>
>> I'm not sure about the --docdir switch. That seemed to be consistent
>> with Cygwin, but an actual package maintainer would be a better source
>> of info on this.
>>
>> A couple of warnings are generated:
>>
>> *** Warning: This system can not link to static lib archive
>> /usr/lib/libpipeline.la.
>> *** I have the capability to make that library automatically link in
>> when
>> *** you link to this library.  But I can only do this if you have a
>> *** shared version of the library, which you do not appear to have.
>>
>> and a similar one for libman.la.

I had the same warnings.

>> I do have shared versions of these libraries, so I'm not sure why the
>> warnings appear. I seem to recall a thread about something similar
>> recently in the Cygwin mailing lists. I may go back and check.
>>
>> Once installed, you'll want to do a 'mandb -c' to create the database.
>> It will report numerous warnings which can generally be ignored. See
>> the manpage on mandb. This takes a while.

I got a couple of warnings. Not very much.

>> When new packages are added or updated on your system, you should run
>> 'mandb -c' again. This seems like something that should be part of
>> postinstall.

I did not do that.

As far as I could see man-db worked very well. It displayed UTF-8,
Latin-1, and KOI8-R encoded man pages correctly.

I only tried 32 bit. I used
check 0.9.12
libpipeline 1.3.0
man-db 2.6.7.1

best regards,

--

@ 2014-04-25  0:47             ` Chris J. Breisch
From: Chris J. Breisch @ 2014-04-25  0:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

waterlan wrote:

>> I must have done something wrong in the build before I sent this.
>> Re-building libpipeline does cause 'make check' to execute the tests.
>> I got one failure. I've talked to the owner of the project, and he's
>> sent me a patch that does eliminate the failure. So I now have a
>> libpipeline where all tests pass under Cygwin.
>
> Hi Chris,
>
> Would you like to send the patch to me?

It's been committed into git.

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/libpipeline.git/commit/?id=6d04129e3a99c0281cb12098f871a0bc94d08025

I'm also currently waiting on a patch for the one test failure for man-db.

--
Chris J. Breisch

* Re: Cygwin needs a man-db port
@ 2014-04-30 16:49             ` waterlan
From: waterlan @ 2014-04-30 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

waterlan schreef op 2014-04-25 00:10:
> [...]
>>> when
>>> *** you link to this library.  But I can only do this if you have a
>>> *** shared version of the library, which you do not appear to have.
>>>
>>> and a similar one for libman.la.
>
> I had the same warnings.
>
>>> I do have shared versions of these libraries, so I'm not sure why the
>>> warnings appear. I seem to recall a thread about something similar
>>> recently in the Cygwin mailing lists. I may go back and check.
>>>
>>> Once installed, you'll want to do a 'mandb -c' to create the
>>> database.
>>> It will report numerous warnings which can generally be ignored. See
>>> the manpage on mandb. This takes a while.
>
> I got a couple of warnings. Not very much.
>
>>> When new packages are added or updated on your system, you should run
>>> 'mandb -c' again. This seems like something that should be part of

Hi,

A 'mandb -c' takes quite a long time. That can be pretty annoying during
an install. Perhaps it is not needed. If you don't do it the cache will
fill as you use man-db (I guess). You don't need all man pages in a
cache.

> I did not do that.
>
> As far as I could see man-db worked very well. It displayed UTF-8,
> Latin-1, and KOI8-R encoded man pages correctly.
>
> I only tried 32 bit. I used
> check 0.9.12
> libpipeline 1.3.0
> man-db 2.6.7.1
>
> best regards,
>

>>> My 32-bit Cygwin install has a lot of gzipped files and the
>>> uncompressed versions under /usr/share/man. mandb didn't like that at
>>> all. That is probably something I did and not a Cygwin problem.
>>>
>>> Note that I've done only the most minimal of testing. make check
>>> passes for man-db and I've opened a few man pages. They seem to work.
>>>
>>> Obviously, someone with decision making power should decide if this
>>> is
>>> something we want to add to Cygwin. My vote is yes, but that's just
>>> one vote. Or maybe even zero. I'm not sure I get a vote. :)
>>>
>>> Also obviously, if the decision is to go forward, these three items
>>> need to be packaged up appropriately and a package maintainer
>>> assigned. Check is already a Cygwin package, but needs updating.
>>>
>>> Somehow I have a feeling about who will be nominated for this task.

We can share the burden. I'm willing to package libpipeline. This
package can be installed without harming anything. I will propose it in
the cygwin-apps list. I think the latest libpipeline version is already
good enough, even when some tests are failing, because we have seen
man-db working with it. In the cygwin-apps list it should also be
discussed how to further integrate man-db.

regards,

Erwin