* setup-x86_64.exe Unable to get setup.ini on all mirrors
@ 2015-08-20 14:23 Dennis Putnam
From: Dennis Putnam @ 2015-08-20 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

In the process of correcting another problem (removed Lavasoft malware)
I am no longer able to run setup. All the references to this error seem
to pertain to the 32 bit version. I am completely shutdown with Cygwin
and need help resolving this. Thanks in advance.

* Re: setup-x86_64.exe Unable to get setup.ini on all mirrors
@ 2015-08-23 13:21 ` Dennis Putnam
From: Dennis Putnam @ 2015-08-23 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Since I have gotten no response to this and am stuck I assume my problem
is badly worded. I don't know how else to present it. Perhaps someone
explaining how setup uses the windows network interface would help.

If it helps, I tried installing Cygwin from scratch and it will not even
download the list of mirrors. If I add a specific mirror I get the same
subject error message. Clearly setup is having trouble communicating on
the network and it is probably related to something left over from the
Lavasoft malware but I don't know what to do from here. I've used every
cleanup tool I have and there does not appear to be anything related to
Lavasoft left.

@ 2015-08-23 14:00   ` Helmut Karlowski
From: Helmut Karlowski @ 2015-08-23 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Am 23.08.2015, 14:21 Uhr, schrieb Dennis Putnam:

> Since I have gotten no response to this and am stuck I assume my problem
> is badly worded. I don't know how else to present it. Perhaps someone
> explaining how setup uses the windows network interface would help.
>
> If it helps, I tried installing Cygwin from scratch and it will not even
> download the list of mirrors. If I add a specific mirror I get the same
> subject error message. Clearly setup is having trouble communicating on
> the network and it is probably related to something left over from the

Have you tried to download setup.ini manually?

Are you able to access for example:

ftp://ftp-stud.hs-esslingen.de/pub/Mirrors/sources.redhat.com/cygwin/x86/setup.ini

or any other mirror using a browser or wget? Maybe setup is blocked by
something, maybe you can see it in the taskmanager.

Have you tried apt-cyg? That seems to do a better job than setup anyway,
at least at uninstalling things (different issue), but needs a base-cygwin
;)

-Helmut

* Re: setup-x86_64.exe Unable to get setup.ini on all mirrors
@ 2015-08-23 18:42     ` Dennis Putnam
From: Dennis Putnam @ 2015-08-23 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi Helmut,

Thanks for the reply. I can download that file but now that I have it,
how do I get setup to use it? However, I don't think that would work
either since the problem seems to be that cygwin cannot communicate with
the network.

As for apt-cyg, I don't have it installed and, because of this problem,
I can't install anything.

@ 2015-08-23 23:34       ` Helmut Karlowski
From: Helmut Karlowski @ 2015-08-23 23:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Am 23.08.2015, 19:42 Uhr, schrieb Dennis Putnam:

> Hi Helmut,
>
> Thanks for the reply. I can download that file but now that I have it,
> how do I get setup to use it? However, I don't think that would work

Just to test if you can access it at all but that was expectable.

> either since the problem seems to be that cygwin cannot communicate with
> the network.

You could copy the setup exe to a different name and run that in case
setup is blocked somehow.
First donwload it again.

Disable the firewall.

You could open the taskmanager as admin and kill one obscure process after
another and try setup again.

Finally re-install windows ;-)

-Helmut

* Re: setup-x86_64.exe Unable to get setup.ini on all mirrors
@ 2015-08-24 11:41         ` Dennis Putnam
From: Dennis Putnam @ 2015-08-24 11:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 8/23/2015 7:34 PM, Helmut Karlowski wrote:
> Am 23.08.2015, 19:42 Uhr, schrieb Dennis Putnam:
>
>> Hi Helmut,
>>
>> Thanks for the reply. I can download that file but now that I have it,
>> how do I get setup to use it? However, I don't think that would work
>
> Just to test if you can access it at all but that was expectable.
OK. I have no networking problems with anything other than cygwin which
is why I was asking for someone to explain how it interfaces with the OS
network. This all started with the Lavasoft malware and I believe that
is the key to resolving this. Perhaps I'll go to one of the virus help
sites and see what they can find.

>> either since the problem seems to be that cygwin cannot communicate with
>> the network.
>
> You could copy the setup exe to a different name and run that in case
> setup is blocked somehow.
> First donwload it again.
No joy.

> Disable the firewall.
No joy

> You could open the taskmanager as admin and kill one obscure process
> after another and try setup again.
When I get a chance to reboot, I'll try it in safe mode with networking.

> Finally re-install windows ;-)
Not an option. :-(

@ 2015-08-24 14:07           ` Helmut Karlowski
From: Helmut Karlowski @ 2015-08-24 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Dennis Putnam
Mon, 24 Aug 2015 07:41:00 -0400
> OK. I have no networking problems with anything other than cygwin which

Another idea:

You could download the packages needed for a basic install from any
server, e.g.:

ftp://ftp-stud.hs-esslingen.de/pub/Mirrors/sources.redhat.com/cygwin/

and save them under a new directory (not \cygwin!) while keeping the
directory-structure intact. Then run setup and tell it to install from
that local directory. Surely not comfortable, but if you succeed
you'll  have learned something about cygwin :)

I once did that on a PC without internet, but then I had my
cygwin-download-directory from the other PC on USB.

Maybe the windows-ftp-tool can help you to download, I don't know.

> is why I was asking for someone to explain how it interfaces with the OS
> network. This all started with the Lavasoft malware and I believe that
> is the key to resolving this. Perhaps I'll go to one of the virus help
> sites and see what they can find.

You should do that.

> > You could open the taskmanager as admin and kill one obscure process
> > after another and try setup again.
> When I get a chance to reboot, I'll try it in safe mode with networking.

Maybe autoruns sheds some light?

https://technet.microsoft.com/de-de/sysinternals

Or msconfig?

-Helmut

* Re: setup-x86_64.exe Unable to get setup.ini on all mirrors
@ 2015-08-24 17:01           ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2015-08-24 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Dennis Putnam writes:
>> Just to test if you can access it at all but that was expectable.
> OK. I have no networking problems with anything other than cygwin which
> is why I was asking for someone to explain how it interfaces with the OS
> network. This all started with the Lavasoft malware and I believe that
> is the key to resolving this. Perhaps I'll go to one of the virus help
> sites and see what they can find.

Basically you can start setup.exe with direct connection (the default),
IE proxy settings or by telling it the proxy host and port.  If you have
no connection either way, then it's hard to see why only setup.exe
wouldn't connect unless you have more malware on the computer, or it's
blocked by the firewall or some similar software.

>> You could open the taskmanager as admin and kill one obscure process
>> after another and try setup again.
> When I get a chance to reboot, I'll try it in safe mode with networking.

You didn't reboot after removing the malware via autoruns?  Then it
might still be active for already running processes.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: setup-x86_64.exe Unable to get setup.ini on all mirrors
@ 2015-08-24 17:16             ` Dennis Putnam
From: Dennis Putnam @ 2015-08-24 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 8/24/2015 1:01 PM, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Dennis Putnam writes:
>>> Just to test if you can access it at all but that was expectable.
>> OK. I have no networking problems with anything other than cygwin which
>> is why I was asking for someone to explain how it interfaces with the OS
>> network. This all started with the Lavasoft malware and I believe that
>> is the key to resolving this. Perhaps I'll go to one of the virus help
>> sites and see what they can find.
> Basically you can start setup.exe with direct connection (the default),
> IE proxy settings or by telling it the proxy host and port.  If you have
> no connection either way, then it's hard to see why only setup.exe
> wouldn't connect unless you have more malware on the computer, or it's
> blocked by the firewall or some similar software.
That is what I do. However, I discovered something else that may or may
not shed some light but I don't understand it. Again keeping in mind
that my browser has no trouble finding URLs, I tried 'nslookup' from a
command prompt and it can find nothing. The error is no response from
server. This happens with all the name servers I tried. It makes no
sense the the browser can find IPs but 'nslookup' cannot.

>>> You could open the taskmanager as admin and kill one obscure process
>>> after another and try setup again.
>> When I get a chance to reboot, I'll try it in safe mode with networking.
> You didn't reboot after removing the malware via autoruns?  Then it
> might still be active for already running processes.
I did reboot after removing the malware but I can't reboot at the moment.

@ 2015-08-24 17:42               ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2015-08-24 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Dennis Putnam writes:
> That is what I do. However, I discovered something else that may or may
> not shed some light but I don't understand it. Again keeping in mind
> that my browser has no trouble finding URLs, I tried 'nslookup' from a
> command prompt and it can find nothing. The error is no response from
> server. This happens with all the name servers I tried. It makes no
> sense the the browser can find IPs but 'nslookup' cannot.

It would make sense if it was using a proxy.  So what happens if you
tell setup to use the IE proxy settings?

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: setup-x86_64.exe Unable to get setup.ini on all mirrors
@ 2015-08-24 17:46                 ` Dennis Putnam
From: Dennis Putnam @ 2015-08-24 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 8/24/2015 1:42 PM, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Dennis Putnam writes:
>> That is what I do. However, I discovered something else that may or may
>> not shed some light but I don't understand it. Again keeping in mind
>> that my browser has no trouble finding URLs, I tried 'nslookup' from a
>> command prompt and it can find nothing. The error is no response from
>> server. This happens with all the name servers I tried. It makes no
>> sense the the browser can find IPs but 'nslookup' cannot.
> It would make sense if it was using a proxy.  So what happens if you
> tell setup to use the IE proxy settings?
There is no proxy. This was working for a couple of years with no
problem. It was not until that Lavasoft Malware was installed that this
all started.

@ 2015-08-24 18:35               ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2015-08-24 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dennis Putnam, cygwin

Greetings, Dennis Putnam!

> That is what I do. However, I discovered something else that may or may
> not shed some light but I don't understand it. Again keeping in mind
> that my browser has no trouble finding URLs, I tried 'nslookup' from a
> command prompt and it can find nothing. The error is no response from
> server. This happens with all the name servers I tried. It makes no
> sense the the browser can find IPs but 'nslookup' cannot.

If "your browser" is Google Chrome, it has its own resolver.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...

* Re: setup-x86_64.exe Unable to get setup.ini on all mirrors
@ 2015-08-24 18:36                   ` Michael Enright
From: Michael Enright @ 2015-08-24 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, Aug 24, 2015 at 10:46 AM, Dennis Putnam wrote:
> On 8/24/2015 1:42 PM, Achim Gratz wrote:
>> Dennis Putnam writes:
>>>  Again keeping in mind
>>> that my browser has no trouble finding URLs, I tried 'nslookup' from a
>>> command prompt and it can find nothing. The error is no response from
>>> server. This happens with all the name servers I tried. It makes no
>>> sense the the browser can find IPs but 'nslookup' cannot.
>> It would make sense if it was using a proxy.  So what happens if you
>> tell setup to use the IE proxy settings?
> There is no proxy. This was working for a couple of years with no
> problem. It was not until that Lavasoft Malware was installed that this
> all started.

From what I could learn about the products of that company in 5
minutes, the symptoms you report make sense if the software you
thought you had removed remains installed. My guess is the software
concerns itself with maintaining connectivity (and of course doing the
things that are classified as malware) as long as the connectivity is
done through a browser, or other things whitelisted by the software.
Since nslookup and setup-x86_64 are not the browser, the software
blocks them. The software is not interested in things that enable you
to do non-browser things. Have you rescanned your system? Which
software is still using the internet successfully?

* Re: setup-x86_64.exe Unable to get setup.ini on all mirrors
@ 2015-08-24 18:45                 ` Dennis Putnam
From: Dennis Putnam @ 2015-08-24 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin