* Re: Updated: emacs-24.5-3 (TEST)
       [not found] <56A40D09.1010606@cornell.edu>
@ 2016-01-29 16:05 ` Daniel Daboul
From: Daniel Daboul @ 2016-01-29 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Jan 24, 2016 at 1:30 AM, Ken Brown <kbrown@cornell.edu> wrote:
> The following packages have been updated in the Cygwin distribution as
> test releases:
>
> * emacs-24.5-3
> * emacs-X11-24.5-3
> * emacs-w32-24.5-3
> * emacs-el-24.5-3
> [...]
> This is a rebuild of the 24.5-2 packages, patched to allow native Windows
> paths like C:\foo or C:/foo in situations where file names are expected.
>
> If you are interested in this feature, please try the test release and let
> me know whether it works the way you expect.

Thank you for the packages. I have started to use "emacs-w32-24.5-3",
I like the new
features and I have not encountered obvious bugs.

A shortcoming of the new version "GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (i686-pc-cygwin) of
2016-01-23 on moufang"
compared to a mingw version "GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.2.9200)
of 2013-03-17 on MARVIN",
which I also use, is that file-name completion does not work for find-file if
a windows-style directory path is used. - Daniel

* Re: Updated: emacs-24.5-3 (TEST)
@ 2016-01-29 16:07   ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2016-01-29 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 1/29/2016 9:00 AM, Daniel Daboul wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 24, 2016 at 1:30 AM, Ken Brown <kbrown@cornell.edu> wrote:
>> The following packages have been updated in the Cygwin distribution as
>> test releases:
>>
>> * emacs-24.5-3
>> * emacs-X11-24.5-3
>> * emacs-w32-24.5-3
>> * emacs-el-24.5-3
>> [...]
>> This is a rebuild of the 24.5-2 packages, patched to allow native Windows
>> paths like C:\foo or C:/foo in situations where file names are expected.
>>
>> If you are interested in this feature, please try the test release and let
>> me know whether it works the way you expect.
>
> Thank you for the packages. I have started to use "emacs-w32-24.5-3",
> I like the new
> features and I have not encountered obvious bugs.
>
> A shortcoming of the new version "GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (i686-pc-cygwin) of
> 2016-01-23 on moufang"
> compared to a mingw version "GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.2.9200)
> of 2013-03-17 on MARVIN",
> which I also use, is that file-name completion does not work for find-file if
> a windows-style directory path is used. - Daniel

Thanks for the feedback.  I'll see if I can figure out how to make that
work.

Ken

* Re: Updated: emacs-24.5-3 (TEST)
@ 2016-01-29 18:41     ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2016-01-29 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 1/29/2016 9:16 AM, Ken Brown wrote:
> On 1/29/2016 9:00 AM, Daniel Daboul wrote:
>> On Sun, Jan 24, 2016 at 1:30 AM, Ken Brown <kbrown@cornell.edu> wrote:
>>> The following packages have been updated in the Cygwin distribution as
>>> test releases:
>>>
>>> * emacs-24.5-3
>>> * emacs-X11-24.5-3
>>> * emacs-w32-24.5-3
>>> * emacs-el-24.5-3
>>> [...]
>>> This is a rebuild of the 24.5-2 packages, patched to allow native
>>> Windows
>>> paths like C:\foo or C:/foo in situations where file names are expected.
>>>
>>> If you are interested in this feature, please try the test release
>>> and let
>>> me know whether it works the way you expect.
>>
>> Thank you for the packages. I have started to use "emacs-w32-24.5-3",
>> I like the new
>> features and I have not encountered obvious bugs.
>>
>> A shortcoming of the new version "GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (i686-pc-cygwin) of
>> 2016-01-23 on moufang"
>> compared to a mingw version "GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.2.9200)
>> of 2013-03-17 on MARVIN",
>> which I also use, is that file-name completion does not work for
>> find-file if
>> a windows-style directory path is used. - Daniel
>
> Thanks for the feedback.  I'll see if I can figure out how to make that
> work.

Actually, completion seems to work for me if I use forward slashes but
not if I use backslashes.  Can you confirm that?  If not, please show me
a case where it fails.

Ken

* Re: Updated: emacs-24.5-3 (TEST)
@ 2016-02-03 21:45       ` Daniel Daboul
From: Daniel Daboul @ 2016-02-03 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Ken Brown <kbrown <at> cornell.edu> writes:
> Actually, completion seems to work for me if I use forward slashes but
> not if I use backslashes.  Can you confirm that?  If not, please show me
> a case where it fails.

Yes, you are right.

c:/Program Fil[tab]

is actually completed. I didn't notice that because
I tried backslashes. I think that's good enough for me,
although the mingw version I mentioned handles either.

* Re: Updated: emacs-24.5-3 (TEST)
@ 2016-02-04 14:39         ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2016-02-04 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2/3/2016 4:40 PM, Daniel Daboul wrote:
> Ken Brown <kbrown <at> cornell.edu> writes:
>> Actually, completion seems to work for me if I use forward slashes but
>> not if I use backslashes.  Can you confirm that?  If not, please show me
>> a case where it fails.
>
> Yes, you are right.
>
> c:/Program Fil[tab]
>
> is actually completed. I didn't notice that because
> I tried backslashes. I think that's good enough for me,
> although the mingw version I mentioned handles either.

Thanks.  At some point I may look into making completion work with
backslashes, but it's not a high priority for me.

Ken