* Re: Mintty font problem
@ 2016-04-11 12:43 KARL BOTTS
From: KARL BOTTS @ 2016-04-11 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Perhaps related to font issues in mintty: In .minttyrc is a new property
FontWeight=700, after I installed Cygwin 2.4.1-1 and mintty 2.3.5. (I
noticed,
only because I have home dir files in revision control.)  I too use Lucida
Console.

With the 700, the font looked visibly "skinny" to me.  I set it to 800, looks
fine now.  No problem, just tinkering required.

Might be other changes involving fonts in new mintty.

---
Karl Botts, kdbotts@usa.net

* Re: Mintty font problem
@ 2016-04-11 20:40 ` Thomas Wolff
From: Thomas Wolff @ 2016-04-11 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Am 11.04.2016 um 14:43 schrieb KARL BOTTS:

> Perhaps related to font issues in mintty: In .minttyrc is a new property
> FontWeight=700,
which means you had configured the bold version of the font.
> after I installed Cygwin 2.4.1-1 and mintty 2.3.5. (I
> noticed,
> only because I have home dir files in revision control.)  I too use Lucida
> Console.
>
> With the 700, the font looked visibly "skinny" to me.
actually, rather the normal, non-bold font. The new font weight
adjustment apparently enforces that although you selected bold (unless
an even bolder weight would exist in the font family).
Maybe the font selection should be tweaked to allow selecting a bold
font even at the cost of not having a bolder variant available.

@ 2016-04-12 20:27   ` Thomas Wolff
From: Thomas Wolff @ 2016-04-12 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Am 11.04.2016 um 22:40 schrieb Thomas Wolff:
> Am 11.04.2016 um 14:43 schrieb KARL BOTTS:
>>
>> Perhaps related to font issues in mintty: In .minttyrc is a new property
>> FontWeight=700,
> which means you had configured the bold version of the font.
>> after I installed Cygwin 2.4.1-1 and mintty 2.3.5. (I noticed,
>> only because I have home dir files in revision control.)  I too use
>> Lucida Console.
>>   With the 700, the font looked visibly "skinny" to me.
> actually, rather the normal, non-bold font. The new font weight
> adjustment apparently enforces that although you selected bold (unless
> an even bolder weight would exist in the font family).
> Maybe the font selection should be tweaked to allow selecting a bold
> font even at the cost of not having a bolder variant available.
Actually, it does allow that, as can be seen with some other fonts. The
issue with Lucida Console is that it does not have a bold weight, so
there is only the Normal (400) weight which is then selected by the new
font weight tweaking algorithm.

>> I set it to 800, looks fine now.  No problem, just tinkering required.
This is obviously inconsistent with the behaviour of mapping 700 to Normal.

Thomas

* Re: Mintty font problem
@ 2016-04-26 19:40     ` Thomas Wolff
From: Thomas Wolff @ 2016-04-26 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Am 12.04.2016 um 22:27 schrieb Thomas Wolff:
> Am 11.04.2016 um 22:40 schrieb Thomas Wolff:
>> Am 11.04.2016 um 14:43 schrieb KARL BOTTS:
>>>
>>> Perhaps related to font issues in mintty: In .minttyrc is a new
>>> property
>>> FontWeight=700,
>> which means you had configured the bold version of the font.
>>> after I installed Cygwin 2.4.1-1 and mintty 2.3.5. (I noticed,
>>> only because I have home dir files in revision control.)  I too use
>>> Lucida Console.
>>>   With the 700, the font looked visibly "skinny" to me.
>> actually, rather the normal, non-bold font. The new font weight
>> adjustment apparently enforces that although you selected bold
>> (unless an even bolder weight would exist in the font family).
>> Maybe the font selection should be tweaked to allow selecting a bold
>> font even at the cost of not having a bolder variant available.
> Actually, it does allow that, as can be seen with some other fonts.
> The issue with Lucida Console is that it does not have a bold weight,
> so there is only the Normal (400) weight which is then selected by the
> new font weight tweaking algorithm.
>
>>> I set it to 800, looks fine now.  No problem, just tinkering required.
> This is obviously inconsistent with the behaviour of mapping 700 to
> Normal.
This has been tweaked in the repository.
Thomas

* Re: Mintty font problem
@ 2016-04-11 20:25   ` Thomas Wolff
From: Thomas Wolff @ 2016-04-11 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Am 10.04.2016 um 21:35 schrieb john refling:
> Paul Ausbeck <paula <at> soe.ucsc.edu> writes:
>
>> "There are no fonts installed.
>>    Open the Fonts folder from the Control Panel to install fonts."
>> ... on XP?
> I'm having the same problem with a new XP install and cygwin, where it
> worked before.  Tried v 2.3.3, v2.3.5, and older archived v2.2.4 which
> certainly worked fine on previous XP machine.  Nothing works now, so not
> sure if it is mintty or XP setup.  Exact same XP install disk as previous.
> Different hardware.
>
> One MS forum suggested to make sure that at least 1 printer was installed to
> make fonts visible in some applications.
>
> Another suggested checking permissions on the font directory.
>
> A cygwin forum suggested that there might be no monospace fonts installed
> and that mintty needs monospaced fonts only (make sense).
>
> I've tried all the above, and no luck.
>
> Something else suggested using tweakui to rebuild certain system folders.
>
> I'll try that next.
Don't try so much. As I had responded before, this has been fixed in the
repository.
Thomas

* Re: Mintty font problem
@ 2016-04-10 19:50 ` john refling
From: john refling @ 2016-04-10 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Paul Ausbeck <paula <at> soe.ucsc.edu> writes:

> Cygwin setup just updated some older packages while installing a
> requested new component and now mintty does not recognize fonts
> properly. I was previously using lucinda-console but now some default
> font is being used. When I try to change the mintty font through the
> Options... dialog, the following message appears when I press Select...:
>
> "There are no fonts installed.
>   Open the Fonts folder from the Control Panel to install fonts."
>
> I've looked through the cygwin announce history and mintty v2.3.3
> advertises some font support changes. I'm still running Windows XP on
> this machine and I'm wondering if it could be that this new version of
> mintty has not been tested on XP?

I'm having the same problem with a new XP install and cygwin, where it
worked before.  Tried v 2.3.3, v2.3.5, and older archived v2.2.4 which
certainly worked fine on previous XP machine.  Nothing works now, so not
sure if it is mintty or XP setup.  Exact same XP install disk as previous.
Different hardware.

One MS forum suggested to make sure that at least 1 printer was installed to
make fonts visible in some applications.

Another suggested checking permissions on the font directory.

A cygwin forum suggested that there might be no monospace fonts installed
and that mintty needs monospaced fonts only (make sense).

I've tried all the above, and no luck.

Something else suggested using tweakui to rebuild certain system folders.

I'll try that next.

John Refling

* Re: Mintty font problem
@ 2016-04-05  0:41 ` Thomas Wolff
From: Thomas Wolff @ 2016-04-05  0:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Am 05.04.2016 um 01:54 schrieb Paul Ausbeck:
> Cygwin setup just updated some older packages while installing a
> requested new component and now mintty does not recognize fonts
> properly. I was previously using lucinda-console but now some default
> font is being used. When I try to change the mintty font through the
> Options... dialog, the following message appears when I press Select...:
>
> "There are no fonts installed.
>  Open the Fonts folder from the Control Panel to install fonts."
>
> I've looked through the cygwin announce history and mintty v2.3.3
> advertises some font support changes. I'm still running Windows XP on
> this machine and I'm wondering if it could be that this new version of
> mintty has not been tested on XP?
It hasn't, in fact. I'll check that.

* Mintty font problem
@ 2016-04-04 23:54 Paul Ausbeck