From: L A Walsh <cygwin@tlinx.org>
To: Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de>
Cc: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: X11 blinking cursor in text window like 'gvim' - only halts if moved-over another X11-win
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2021 01:52:08 -0700	[thread overview]

On 2021/04/07 11:46, Achim Gratz wrote:
> L A Walsh writes:
>
>> If I move the windows cursor to another editor window in X11,
>> the blinking cursor moves to the new window, but if I move
>> it to a native window, the blinking doesn't stop.
>>
>> Has this always been this way?
>>

> Windows never had "focus follows mouse" in any version I can remember.

It's been in every version since at least Win98, but required
either some special utility to set it or editing the registry.

They do have a focus follows mouse setting, but one that always raises
the the window in question, which can still duplicate the problem
of switching to a win-window where it gets focus and X11 may not
know it.

First thing I have on my desktop is 1-click to activate -- same as
web settings.  I have RSI issues and trying to double click on things
really causes the irritation level to go up quickly.  That means
I can select by hovering -- that setting is in the folder options
under Tools when you look at a folder.  Single-click to open items, and
underline icon titles consistent w/my browser.

In the Mouse or Ease-of-access settings, one can choose to activate a window
by hovering over it with the mouse.

The one that still takes a registry setting since Win98 days. is
true focus follows mouse w/o the window being raised.  There's still a
configurable delay before the focus changes -- usually 175-250ms, or the
moving your cursor across the screen would cause a bunch of windows to
raise in the default configuration.  The 175 works for me.

But it has to do with HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control
Panel\Desktop\UserPreferencesMask.
It's a 8-byte binary value.  I always see the low-order nibble of the first
byte set to '1'(like 0xb1).

So that hasn't changed for me since win98 but whether or not xprograms
have blinking cursors that stop blinking or hide when you type are things
that have been added in that time, but I've never seen the cursor keep
going like I do most recently, when the focus goes off the X-window to
a Win-window.

I notice you zoomed in on windows being able to change focus by moving
the cursor to a different window w/no click involved.  Did something change
in that area in X11 where it was changed to need to see a click before
changing?

Thanks!