From: L A Walsh <cygwin@tlinx.org>
To: Jon Turney <jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk>
Subject: Re: X11 blinking cursor in text window like 'gvim' - only halts if moved-over another X11-win
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2021 14:37:31 -0700	[thread overview]

On 2021/04/10 12:14, L A Walsh wrote:
> On 2021/04/09 07:41, Jon Turney wrote:
>
>> I think so, yes.
>>
> ===
>

> 	That's unfortunate.  Well, I wasn't sure if it was new
> or old. At least its not some new problem.  Sigh.
>
> 	Thanks for the backstory.
>

>> [1] https://sourceware.org/legacy-ml/cygwin/2017-04/msg00168.html
>> [2] https://sourceware.org/legacy-ml/cygwin/2017-04/msg00278.html
>> [3] https://sourceware.org/pipermail/cygwin/2017-May/232564.html

---
    I don't know if this was tried, but the only way to really do
it would be along the lines of detecting when windows had grabbed
control via its time -- for cygwin to use a timer to detect when it
lost control.  Ex. in cygwin's blink routine, it would need to check
that it still had focus, and if it had lost it for longer than 50-75ms
(maybe configurable), assume cursor is over a Win-Window...  May not
be worth the bother, but it might catch the problem?