* bug in cygwin tar reading unexpected input(s)...
@ 2021-06-15  4:20 L A Walsh
From: L A Walsh @ 2021-06-15  4:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Tar'ing up a windows dir (ProgData) had some unexected failures:

Several of the sort:

tar: Dbgview: Warning: Cannot llistxattrat: No such file or directory
tar: Desktops: Warning: Cannot llistxattrat: No such file or directory
tar: DiskView: Warning: Cannot llistxattrat: No such file or directory
tar: LoadOrd: Warning: Cannot llistxattrat: No such file or directory
tar: portmon: Warning: Cannot llistxattrat: No such file or directory

Where the item listed (Dbgview, DiskView, etc) is a
windows symlink like:

2019/02/07  22:53    <SYMLINK>      Dbgview [SI\Dbgview.exe]
2019/02/07  22:53    <SYMLINK>      Desktops [SI\Desktops.exe]
2019/02/07  22:53    <SYMLINK>      DiskView [SI\DiskView.exe]

and stems from the use of the --xattrs switch.

Win7SP1x64
cygcheck (cygwin) 3.2.0

The tar continued and finished much as it would after an unreadable file.

Another error, maybe similar,

tar: C\:Prog64FastPictureViewer: Warning: Cannot file_has_acl_at: No
such file or directory

 From a file in "C:\Program Files\FastPictureViewer" [likely mis-]named
"C:Prog64FastPictureViewer"

It seems to be a .dll, that somehow got its name mangled.

Not sure what it was trying to do, but the file seems to be 'in-use'.

* Re: bug in cygwin tar reading unexpected input(s)...
@ 2021-06-15  7:16 ` Russell VT
From: Russell VT @ 2021-06-15  7:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: L A Walsh; +Cc: cygwin

I think we need more context, here... as what does Windows versus Cygwin
think those permissions are...???

Are you running your terminal, as you... or did you run it as Administrator?

Have you run an update, and not rebooted?

There should be some "basic shell debugging" done here, first... since
there's a disconnect from when tar gets its file list, and when it
physically goes to retrieve a (possibly temporary) file. It will also
complain about directories it can read, but not access. So, it would be
better to figure out what the "difference" is between what you expect, and
what actually happened with the tar.

Unfortunately, permission issues between Windows and Cygwin can be
*extremely* complex (ie. there are a ton of details missing here, which
might make it easier to help troubleshoot).

Hope that helps point you in a good direction.

Cheers!
Russell VT

On Mon, Jun 14, 2021 at 9:22 PM L A Walsh <cygwin@tlinx.org> wrote:

> Tar'ing up a windows dir (ProgData) had some unexected failures:
>
> Several of the sort:
>
> tar: Dbgview: Warning: Cannot llistxattrat: No such file or directory
> tar: Desktops: Warning: Cannot llistxattrat: No such file or directory
> tar: DiskView: Warning: Cannot llistxattrat: No such file or directory
> tar: LoadOrd: Warning: Cannot llistxattrat: No such file or directory
> tar: portmon: Warning: Cannot llistxattrat: No such file or directory
>
> Where the item listed (Dbgview, DiskView, etc) is a
> windows symlink like:
>
> 2019/02/07  22:53    <SYMLINK>      Dbgview [SI\Dbgview.exe]
> 2019/02/07  22:53    <SYMLINK>      Desktops [SI\Desktops.exe]
> 2019/02/07  22:53    <SYMLINK>      DiskView [SI\DiskView.exe]
>
> and stems from the use of the --xattrs switch.
>
> Win7SP1x64
> cygcheck (cygwin) 3.2.0
>
> The tar continued and finished much as it would after an unreadable file.
>
> Another error, maybe similar,
>

> tar: C\:Prog64FastPictureViewer: Warning: Cannot file_has_acl_at: No
> such file or directory
>
>  From a file in "C:\Program Files\FastPictureViewer" [likely mis-]named
> "C:Prog64FastPictureViewer"
>
> It seems to be a .dll, that somehow got its name mangled.
>
> Not sure what it was trying to do, but the file seems to be 'in-use'.
>

> --
> Problem reports:      https://cygwin.com/problems.html
> FAQ:                  https://cygwin.com/faq/
> Documentation:        https://cygwin.com/docs.html

Russell M. Van Tassell <russellvt@gmail.com>

* Re: bug in cygwin tar reading unexpected input(s)...
@ 2021-06-15 21:13   ` L A Walsh
From: L A Walsh @ 2021-06-15 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Russell VT; +Cc: cygwin

On 2021/06/15 00:16, Russell VT wrote:
> I think we need more context, here... as what does Windows versus Cygwin
> think those permissions are...???
---
	Which permissions?  The error is 'no such object', not
'access denied'.  I believe it is similar to trying to read (or
modify) xattr's or acl's on linux symlinks.

> Are you running your terminal, as you... or did you run it as Administrator?
---
	I am in group Administrators as well as Domain Admins
(Samba Domain).  Domain Admins and System are both in the
local Administrators group.

> Have you run an update, and not rebooted?
---
	I don't believe so at that time, but I have rebooted since then.
The problem only occurred on files that were symlinks as seen by Windows
and Cygwin.

> There should be some "basic shell debugging" done here, first...
---
	I'm not sure what you mean.  Oops, I forgot to list the
command line, but thought that "--xattrs" might be implied from the
fact that the error was about retrieving xattrs.

	Cmdline was using shell script calling a function, "backup_dir"
with "ProgramData" from the root directory, where the function was:

backup_dir() {
  my DIR=${1:?}
  tar c --acls --xattrs --sparse -b 2048 --one-file-system "$DIR" |
    dd bs=1M iflag=fullblock of="/b/June_backups/$DIR" oflag=nonblock
}

> since
> there's a disconnect from when tar gets its file list, and when it
> physically goes to retrieve a (possibly temporary) file. It will also
> complain about directories it can read, but not access.
---
	Those were symlinks, not directories.
> So, it would be
> better to figure out what the "difference" is between what you expect,
> and what actually happened with the tar.
---
	I would expect it might not complain about not being
able to read xattr's on symlinks?  I don't think it complains about
not being able to read them on linux -- or at least I've never seen
such.

> Unfortunately, permission issues between Windows and Cygwin can be
> */extremely/* complex (ie. there are a ton of details missing here,
> which might make it easier to help troubleshoot).
---
	What necessary details are missing?

> Hope that helps point you in a good direction.
---
	Not sure. I thought I was reporting a bug in cygwin tar
giving an error about trying to read xattrs on symlinks, as I don't
believe it gives an error on linux doing the same thing.  Does it?
Thanks for your questions, but I'm still not very clear on what
I left out.

	I'd tend to ignore the error on what appeared to be
a misspelled filename, as I'm not even sure how to recreate
that file, but attempting to dump xattrs on a symlink seems like
a pretty straight forward symptom/testcase.  What more details
do you think would be pertinent?

Thanks!
-Linda

> Cheers!
> Russell VT
>
> On Mon, Jun 14, 2021 at 9:22 PM L A Walsh <cygwin@tlinx.org
> <mailto:cygwin@tlinx.org>> wrote:
>
>     Tar'ing up a windows dir (ProgData) had some unexected failures:
>
>     Several of the sort:
>
>     tar: Dbgview: Warning: Cannot llistxattrat: No such file or directory
>     tar: Desktops: Warning: Cannot llistxattrat: No such file or directory
>     tar: DiskView: Warning: Cannot llistxattrat: No such file or directory
>     tar: LoadOrd: Warning: Cannot llistxattrat: No such file or directory
>     tar: portmon: Warning: Cannot llistxattrat: No such file or directory
>
>     Where the item listed (Dbgview, DiskView, etc) is a
>     windows symlink like:
>
>     2019/02/07  22:53    <SYMLINK>      Dbgview [SI\Dbgview.exe]
>     2019/02/07  22:53    <SYMLINK>      Desktops [SI\Desktops.exe]
>     2019/02/07  22:53    <SYMLINK>      DiskView [SI\DiskView.exe]
>
>     and stems from the use of the --xattrs switch.
>
>     Win7SP1x64
>     cygcheck (cygwin) 3.2.0
>
>     The tar continued and finished much as it would after an unreadable
>     file.
>
>     Another error, maybe similar,
>

>     tar: C\:Prog64FastPictureViewer: Warning: Cannot file_has_acl_at: No
>     such file or directory
>
>      From a file in "C:\Program Files\FastPictureViewer" [likely mis-]named
>     "C:Prog64FastPictureViewer"
>
>     It seems to be a .dll, that somehow got its name mangled.
>
>     Not sure what it was trying to do, but the file seems to be 'in-use'.
>

> --
> Russell M. Van Tassell <russellvt@gmail.com <mailto:russellvt@gmail.com>>

* Re: bug in cygwin tar reading unexpected input(s)...
@ 2021-06-16 17:22 ` Achim Gratz
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Achim Gratz @ 2021-06-16 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

L A Walsh writes:
> Tar'ing up a windows dir (ProgData) had some unexected failures:
>
> Several of the sort:
>
> tar: Dbgview: Warning: Cannot llistxattrat: No such file or directory
> tar: Desktops: Warning: Cannot llistxattrat: No such file or directory
> tar: DiskView: Warning: Cannot llistxattrat: No such file or directory
> tar: LoadOrd: Warning: Cannot llistxattrat: No such file or directory
> tar: portmon: Warning: Cannot llistxattrat: No such file or directory
>
> Where the item listed (Dbgview, DiskView, etc) is a
> windows symlink like:
>
> 2019/02/07  22:53    <SYMLINK>      Dbgview [SI\Dbgview.exe]
> 2019/02/07  22:53    <SYMLINK>      Desktops [SI\Desktops.exe]
> 2019/02/07  22:53    <SYMLINK>      DiskView [SI\DiskView.exe]
>
> and stems from the use of the --xattrs switch.

Hmm.  Looks like some of the symlink / attrs content is taking a route
that doesn't deal correctly with '\' as a path separator.  Which isn't
too terribly surprising in a way, but it would still be useful to find
out where.  Can you run (a pared down) example in strace and show the
result?

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: bug in cygwin tar reading unexpected input(s)...
@ 2021-06-17  1:47     ` Russell VT
From: Russell VT @ 2021-06-17  1:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: L A Walsh; +Cc: cygwin

Replay by from my phone, so it's a bit brief...

Try opening a Cygwin terminal AS administrator, making sure it gives you
the "process may modify the system" warning dialog, etc... Then repeat

If it works, or complains less, then the problem is permissions at *some*
level.

Despite Windows having "administrator" type groups, they are STILL
protected parts of the filesystem, etc. There will be fewer protections by
using the "system" account, etc.

WARNING: Using this account MAY produce irreparable harm to the system. Do
this at your own risk.

--
Russell M. Van Tassell
russellvt@gmail.com

This message was sent from my wireless handheld device.

@ 2021-06-19 11:34   ` L A Walsh
From: L A Walsh @ 2021-06-19 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Achim Gratz; +Cc: cygwin

On 2021/06/16 10:22, Achim Gratz wrote:
> L A Walsh writes:
>
>> Tar'ing up a windows dir (ProgData) had some unexected failures
>> of the sort:
>>
>> tar: Dbgview: Warning: Cannot llistxattrat: No such file or director,
>>
>> Where the item listed (Dbgview, ...) is a windows symlink like:
>>
>> 2019/02/07  22:53    <SYMLINK>      Dbgview [SI\Dbgview.exe],
>> and stems from the use of the --xattrs switch.
>>

> Hmm.  Looks like some of the symlink / attrs content is taking a route
> that doesn't deal correctly with '\' as a path separator.  Which isn't
> too terribly surprising in a way, but it would still be useful to find
> out where.  Can you run (a pared down) example in strace and show the
> result?

----
Interesting diagnosis.  Won't know if I can do so until I've tried.
Should be _able_ to setup a test case, will have to try it and see.

Thanks for the exact diagnosis of what's needed, and next step!  :-)

Will try to get to it,  but am trying to deal with other problems at
the same time (one of which was the one that had me do full backups)...

Linda

@ 2021-06-19 13:28   ` L A Walsh
From: L A Walsh @ 2021-06-19 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Achim Gratz; +Cc: cygwin

----
Interesting diagnosis.  Won't know if I can do so until I've tried.
Should be _able_ to setup a test case, will have to try it and see.

Thanks for the exact diagnosis of what's needed, and next step!  :-)

Linda

So far, have been busy w/other things, like reinstalling my OS....but
will try
to get back to this..
tnx.

* Re: bug in cygwin tar reading unexpected input(s)...
@ 2021-07-03 23:36   ` L A Walsh
From: L A Walsh @ 2021-07-03 23:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Achim Gratz; +Cc: cygwin