* CancelSynchronousIo could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll
@ 2016-10-24 15:47 Keith Williams
From: Keith Williams @ 2016-10-24 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I've read the FAQ. I feel the matter isn't resolved and I haven't been
able to use Cywin/XP for a while/

Has anyone tried installing Cygwin on Windows XP? The installation
doesn't work because the applications seem to be linked with newer
Windows run-time libs. Bash and dash do not work for example, they're
looking for the missing kernel call, CancelSynchronousIo.

I don't seem able to go back to a working system from the upgrade, and a
new installation doesn't work.

Given that 32bit Windows 7 and Vista have been around for years, why was
it decided to drop support for Windows XP?  Presumably, there's nothing
much to be gained by doing this.

Thanks,
Keith

* Re: CancelSynchronousIo could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll
@ 2016-10-24 21:07 ` Vince Rice
From: Vince Rice @ 2016-10-24 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On Oct 24, 2016, at 10:28 AM, Keith Williams <keith.dev.uk@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I've read the FAQ. I feel the matter isn't resolved and I haven't been able to use Cywin/XP for a while/
>
> Has anyone tried installing Cygwin on Windows XP? The installation doesn't work because the applications seem to be linked with newer Windows run-time libs. Bash and dash do not work for example, they're looking for the missing kernel call, CancelSynchronousIo.
>
> I don't seem able to go back to a working system from the upgrade, and a new installation doesn't work.
>
> Given that 32bit Windows 7 and Vista have been around for years, why was it decided to drop support for Windows XP?  Presumably, there's nothing much to be gained by doing this.

XP support was dropped in 2.6. If you upgraded to 2.6.x on XP, you didn’t read the release notes very well.

> I uploaded a new Cygwin release 2.6.0-1.
>
> Please note that this release won't work on Windows XP and Windows
> Server 2003 or 2003 R2.  At least Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008
> are required.

Google “cygwin time machine”; it may get you what you need.