* xterm / Windows 10 question
@ 2018-06-05  0:47 Matt Nicholas
From: Matt Nicholas @ 2018-06-05  0:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello,

I have a question that I hope someone may be able to help me with.

I recently obtained a Dell Precision laptop running Windows 10.
I installed 64-bit Cygwin, including various packages that are not part of
the minimal install.

I start Cygwin/X as follows:

(1) open a Cygwin64 Terminal window
(2) cd /usr/bin
(3) ./xinit -- -multiwindow &

That works as expected, and creates an initial xterm window.  I can then
start multiple independent xterm windows.

The problem I'm having is that when I type single quote or double quote
characters in the xterm window, no character appears with the first
keystroke.
Typing the character twice, causes the character to appear, but things
don't work as expected.
For example, a command like:
     find . -name "*.exe"
fails to find any files even though there are ".exe" files to be found.

I've seen various suggestions online stating that I need to change the
setting under 'Control Panel, Languages' so that the selected language is
"English (United States)", rather than "English (International)".
I did that and it did solve the problem (nor make any discernible
difference).

A few other clues:
     (1) The problem does not occur in a Cygwin64 Terminal window.
     (2) I set things up the same way on a Windows 7 PC that I also use,
and do not experience this problem in xterm windows.

So... now I'm confused.  If this were entirely a Windows 10 issue I would
not expect a Cygwin64 Terminal window to behave differently from an xterm
window.
On the other hand, it this were entirely an issue with Cygwin/X and xterm
windows, I would not expect Windows 10 and Windows 7 to be different.

(I verified that this is not an issue with the xterm version.  I have
version 327 on the Win7 PC, and 330 on the Win10 PC, but I tried 327 on the
Win10 PC and it made no difference.)

Anyone have any ideas about how to resolve this?

Thanks
--- Matt

MattDN@gmail.com

* Re: xterm / Windows 10 question
@ 2018-06-05  0:51 ` Matt Nicholas
From: Matt Nicholas @ 2018-06-05  0:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Sorry, I left out the word "not" in my last message.
I meant to say:

I've seen various suggestions online stating that I need to change the
setting under 'Control Panel, Languages' so that the selected language is
"English (United States)", rather than "English (International)".
I did that and it did *not *solve the problem (nor make any discernible
difference).

Apologies for the omission.
--- Matt

@ 2018-06-05  2:21 ` David Billinghurst
From: David Billinghurst @ 2018-06-05  2:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin, Matt Nicholas

On 2018-06-05 10:47, Matt Nicholas wrote:

> I recently obtained a Dell Precision laptop running Windows 10.
> I installed 64-bit Cygwin, including various packages that are not part of
> the minimal install.

> The problem I'm having is that when I type single quote or double quote
> characters in the xterm window, no character appears with the first
> keystroke.
This may be an issue with the input method configured for the keyboard.
You can toggle this with  <Windows Key>+<space>.  Many Dell machines are
configured to use the US-international keyboard that encodes "<char> to
an umlaut, so "e to ë and so on.  As a monlingual Aussie I find the
plain "US Keyboard" has fewer surprises.

* Re: xterm / Windows 10 question
@ 2018-06-05  4:04   ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2018-06-05  4:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 6/5/2018 2:51 AM, Matt Nicholas wrote:
> Sorry, I left out the word "not" in my last message.
> I meant to say:
>
> I've seen various suggestions online stating that I need to change the
> setting under 'Control Panel, Languages' so that the selected language is
> "English (United States)", rather than "English (International)".
> I did that and it did *not *solve the problem (nor make any discernible
> difference).
>
> Apologies for the omission.
> --- Matt

Bottom post on this mailing list

> On Mon, Jun 4, 2018 at 5:47 PM, Matt Nicholas <mattdn@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have a question that I hope someone may be able to help me with.
>>
>> I recently obtained a Dell Precision laptop running Windows 10.
>> I installed 64-bit Cygwin, including various packages that are not part of
>> the minimal install.
>>
>> I start Cygwin/X as follows:
>>
>> (1) open a Cygwin64 Terminal window
>> (2) cd /usr/bin
>> (3) ./xinit -- -multiwindow &
>>
>> That works as expected, and creates an initial xterm window.  I can then
>> start multiple independent xterm windows.
>>
>> The problem I'm having is that when I type single quote or double quote
>> characters in the xterm window, no character appears with the first
>> keystroke.
>> Typing the character twice, causes the character to appear, but things
>> don't work as expected.
>> For example, a command like:
>>       find . -name "*.exe"
>> fails to find any files even though there are ".exe" files to be found.
>>
>> I've seen various suggestions online stating that I need to change the
>> setting under 'Control Panel, Languages' so that the selected language is
>> "English (United States)", rather than "English (International)".
>> I did that and it did solve the problem (nor make any discernible
>> difference).
>>
>> A few other clues:
>>       (1) The problem does not occur in a Cygwin64 Terminal window.
>>       (2) I set things up the same way on a Windows 7 PC that I also use,
>> and do not experience this problem in xterm windows.

It seems that Xterm, and I assume the all X server,
is using a different Keyboard layout than Mintty.
One with dead-keys.

The best explanation I found on keyboard with dead-keys is
https://zauner.nllk.net/post/0014-windows-no-dead-keys/

For changing setting for the X system, some guidance is available on:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Keyboard_configuration_in_Xorg

>> Thanks
>> --- Matt

Regards
Marco

* Re: xterm / Windows 10 question
@ 2018-06-05  6:21     ` Thomas Wolff
From: Thomas Wolff @ 2018-06-05  6:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Am 05.06.2018 um 06:03 schrieb Marco Atzeri:

>> On Mon, Jun 4, 2018 at 5:47 PM, Matt Nicholas <mattdn@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I start Cygwin/X as follows:
>>>
>>> (1) open a Cygwin64 Terminal window
>>> (2) cd /usr/bin
>>> (3) ./xinit -- -multiwindow &
>>>
>>> That works as expected, and creates an initial xterm window. I can then
>>> start multiple independent xterm windows.
>>>
>>> The problem I'm having is that when I type single quote or double quote
>>> characters in the xterm window, no character appears with the first
>>> keystroke.
>>> Typing the character twice, causes the character to appear, but things
>>> don't work as expected.
>>> For example, a command like:
>>>       find . -name "*.exe"
>>> fails to find any files even though there are ".exe" files to be found.
>>>
>>> I've seen various suggestions online stating that I need to change the
>>> setting under 'Control Panel, Languages' so that the selected
>>> language is
>>> "English (United States)", rather than "English (International)".
>>> I did that and it did not solve the problem (nor make any discernible
>>> difference).
>>>
>>> A few other clues:
>>>       (1) The problem does not occur in a Cygwin64 Terminal window.
>>>       (2) I set things up the same way on a Windows 7 PC that I also
>>> use,
>>> and do not experience this problem in xterm windows.
>
> It seems that Xterm, and I assume the all X server,
> is using a different Keyboard layout than Mintty.
> One with dead-keys.
Mintty supports dead keys too, per Windows keyboard layout, and also a
compose key.
Double-quote, however, should not be a dead key, in typical keyboard
layouts. What X keyboard layout do you have?
Is it really a double-quote you finally have on the command line? Did
you check that with `od`?

> The best explanation I found on keyboard with dead-keys is
> https://zauner.nllk.net/post/0014-windows-no-dead-keys/
>
> For changing setting for the X system, some guidance is available on:
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Keyboard_configuration_in_Xorg

---

* Re: xterm / Windows 10 question
@ 2018-06-05 15:35     ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2018-06-05 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marco Atzeri, cygwin

Greetings, Marco Atzeri!

> It seems that Xterm, and I assume the all X server,
> is using a different Keyboard layout than Mintty.
> One with dead-keys.

Thanks for the hint, this is not limited to X server only, but plagues other
remote control systems under win10 as well (RManSys, TeamViewer) and even USA
keyboard is affected.
I had to phone back my customers and ask them to enter things by themselves
since I was completely unable to type anything meaningful due to wild
differences between keyboard layouts. And I know for a fact that their
keyboards are no different than mine. (In fact, I've held each device in my
own hands at least once, and haven't had a problem typing anything locally.)

> The best explanation I found on keyboard with dead-keys is
> https://zauner.nllk.net/post/0014-windows-no-dead-keys/

Explanation, yes, but it does not help even a little, since Windows silently
activate keyboard layouts by application request.
I've been fighting this issue since XP and only solution I've found was to
change registry keys to force Windows to think that your custom layout is the
standard one.
You don't need to change keyboard signatures, or replace DLL's, which should
theoretically make it possible to exercise in Win10 as well.
The relevant registry key is
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layouts\<language ID>

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...

* Re: xterm / Windows 10 question
@ 2018-06-05 17:19   ` Matt Nicholas
From: Matt Nicholas @ 2018-06-05 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Billinghurst; +Cc: cygwin

Hi David,
Thanks for the suggestion.  Unfortunately, toggling the input method does
not make a difference in an xterm window.  (It does, by the way, have the
effect you mention in a Cygwin64 terminal window.)
--- Matt

@ 2018-06-06 20:18     ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2018-06-06 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 05/06/2018 18:19, Matt Nicholas wrote:
> Hi David,
> Thanks for the suggestion.  Unfortunately, toggling the input method does
> not make a difference in an xterm window.  (It does, by the way, have the
> effect you mention in a Cygwin64 terminal window.)

The X server does not use the Windows input method, but tries to setup
an appropriate X keyboard configuration based on the Windows keyboard
layout selected when it starts up.

I suspect that an unexpected keyboard configuration is being used, if it
has dead keys when you don't want them.

Can you show /var/log/XWin.0.log, or at least the portion of that
describing what keyboard configuration is being selected, e.g.:

@ 2018-06-06 22:33       ` Matt Nicholas
From: Matt Nicholas @ 2018-06-06 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Jon,

That was the clue I needed.  Thanks!

Here are the relevant lines from my */var/log/xwin/XWin.0.log*:

[494293.296] (--) Windows keyboard layout: "00020409" (00020409) "United
States-International", type 7
[494293.296] (--) Found matching XKB configuration "English
(USA,International)"
[494293.296] (--) Model = "pc105" Layout = "us_intl" Variant = "none"
Options = "none"
[494293.296] Rules = "base" Model = "pc105" Layout = "us_intl" Variant =
"none" Options = "none"

I'm not sure why the X server starts with *Layout = "us_intl"*, because if
I look in *Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Language* it says the
language is *English (United States)*.

However, I found that if I enter the command "*setxkbmap us*" in an xterm
window it solves the problem (i.e., single quote and double quote
characters are no longer dead keys).

I'm still not sure how best to configure it so that the X server starts
with "us" instead of "us_intl" automatically, but that's a minor issue in
any case -- entering the "setxkbmap us" command is easy enough.
(I can probably put the "setxkbmap us" command in ".bash_profile", if I
don't find a more appropriate place.)

Best Regards,
--- Matt

@ 2018-06-06 22:46         ` Stefan Baur
From: Stefan Baur @ 2018-06-06 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Am 07.06.2018 um 00:33 schrieb Matt Nicholas:
> (I can probably put the "setxkbmap us" command in ".bash_profile", if I
> don't find a more appropriate place.)

If you end up doing this, be sure to check for $DISPLAY being set, only
executing the command if that is the case.
e.g.

if [ -n "$DISPLAY" ]; then
	setxkbmap us
fi

Else you might see strange errors when logging in via SSH (if you don't
have $DISPLAY set by using ssh -X, for example) or with scripted SSH
sessions/commands.

(NB: A command like "mesg n", which is found in some distributions'
default .bash_profile files - especially for the root user - should be
wrapped in

if test -t 0; then
	mesg n
fi

for similar reasons).

Kind Regards,
Stefan Baur

--
BAUR-ITCS UG (haftungsbeschränkt)
Geschäftsführer: Stefan Baur

* Re: xterm / Windows 10 question
@ 2018-06-10 20:52         ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2018-06-10 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 06/06/2018 23:33, Matt Nicholas wrote:
> That was the clue I needed.  Thanks!
>
> Here are the relevant lines from my */var/log/xwin/XWin.0.log*:
>
> [494293.296] (--) Windows keyboard layout: "00020409" (00020409) "United
> States-International", type 7
> [494293.296] (--) Found matching XKB configuration "English
> (USA,International)"
> [494293.296] (--) Model = "pc105" Layout = "us_intl" Variant = "none"
> Options = "none"
> [494293.296] Rules = "base" Model = "pc105" Layout = "us_intl" Variant =
> "none" Options = "none"
>
> I'm not sure why the X server starts with *Layout = "us_intl"*, because if
> I look in *Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Language* it says the
> language is *English (United States)*.

"Display language" and "Keyboard Layout/Input method" are different
concepts, although they seem to be somewhat combined in the settings app
now.

> However, I found that if I enter the command "*setxkbmap us*" in an xterm
> window it solves the problem (i.e., single quote and double quote
> characters are no longer dead keys).
>
> I'm still not sure how best to configure it so that the X server starts
> with "us" instead of "us_intl" automatically, but that's a minor issue in
> any case -- entering the "setxkbmap us" command is easy enough.
> (I can probably put the "setxkbmap us" command in ".bash_profile", if I
> don't find a more appropriate place.)

I don't think this is working as intended.  If you don't have the US
international keyboard layout active when the X server is started (which
I'm assuming isn't the case, or you wouldn't be surprised by the
deadkeys that layout uses), it shouldn't be selected.

Perhaps you can clarify what keyboard layouts you have installed?

--
Jon Turney
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer

* Re: xterm / Windows 10 question
@ 2018-06-12  8:53           ` Matt Nicholas
From: Matt Nicholas @ 2018-06-12  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Jon,

Thanks for the additional comments.

The two keyboard layouts that are installed are "ENG US" and "ENG INTL".
(These are the two I see when I toggle through them using <Windows
Key>+space.)

I just rebooted the laptop and did not observe the problem with xterm
windows that prompted my initial post.  I suppose this all makes sense
based on the fact that xterm windows use the layout that was in effect when
the X Server was started.  I.e., you can't subsequently change the behavior
of xterm by selecting a different layout using <Windows Key>+space.  (At
that point can use "setxkbmap us".)

My understanding at this point is that the only thing necessary is to make
sure the desired layout (in my case "ENG US") is selected before starting
the X Server.

--- Matt

@ 2018-06-13  8:10             ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2018-06-13  8:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Nicholas, cygwin

Greetings, Matt Nicholas!

> Hi Jon,

> Thanks for the additional comments.

> The two keyboard layouts that are installed are "ENG US" and "ENG INTL".
> (These are the two I see when I toggle through them using <Windows
> Key>+space.)

Why? Do you need the INTL one? If not, just remove it.

> I just rebooted the laptop and did not observe the problem with xterm
> windows that prompted my initial post.  I suppose this all makes sense
> based on the fact that xterm windows use the layout that was in effect when
> the X Server was started.  I.e., you can't subsequently change the behavior
> of xterm by selecting a different layout using <Windows Key>+space.  (At
> that point can use "setxkbmap us".)

> My understanding at this point is that the only thing necessary is to make
> sure the desired layout (in my case "ENG US") is selected before starting
> the X Server.

That makes little sense to me.
What if I have more than one input language? What if I actually NEED both
layouts?

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

@ 2018-06-13 21:22               ` Matt Nicholas
From: Matt Nicholas @ 2018-06-13 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Andrey,

I'm starting to feel a bit guilty about wasting bandwidth on the Cygwin
mailing list because
my initial question was answered by other posters and the problem has, as a
practical matter,
been solved.

That's not to say I understand all aspects of the interaction between
Windows 10 keyboard layouts,
the X Server, and xterm windows.

To answer your questions:

     > Why? Do you need the INTL one? If not, just remove it.

Yes, I agree.  I did remove ENG INTL following Microsoft's documented
procedure.
(Settings > Time & Language > Region & Language, select ENG INTL, click
Remove.)
This appeared to work -- ENG INTL no longer shows up in the Region &
Language dialog.
However, it remains one of the choices I can toggle through using <Windows
Key>+space.
So... presumably I don''t yet know how to actually remove it.

     > That makes little sense to me.
     > What if I have more than one input language? What if I actually NEED
both
     > layouts?

Yes, of course, if you need more than one input language you should keep
them installed.
What I was trying to say in my previous post was simply that the X Server
uses the layout that's in effect
when you start the X Server.  So if, for example, you want xterm windows to
start up with "ENG US"
rather than "ENG INTL", then you should select "ENG US" before starting the
X Server.
If you fail to do that, it seems you can switch after the fact using
"setxkbmap".

Best Regards,
--- Matt