* Re: NOACL leads to a massive speed slowdown in file system processes
@ 2015-09-14  6:39 tiwasey
From: tiwasey @ 2015-09-14  6:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> This is not the default exactly because of its nature.
> It is unusable. You will not be able to run scripts from such mount point.

No problem for me, I have my scripts in my cygwin home/bin. Why put them outside? That's their environment.

> However, I don't quite understand the nature of the issue here. Why not assume
> all files "executable", and only check the magic word, when we actually trying
> to execute them?

True.
Or all normal files like exe, com, bat, sh as executable, and the other ones manually with chmod. That information could be saved in a sqlite DB. Just an idea ;)

* Re: NOACL leads to a massive speed slowdown in file system processes
@ 2015-09-14 18:50 ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2015-09-14 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tiwasey, cygwin

Greetings, tiwasey@arcor.de!

I would really appreciate, if you teach your mail agent to insert proper
threading headers.
Thank you in advance.

>> This is not the default exactly because of its nature.
>> It is unusable. You will not be able to run scripts from such mount point.

> No problem for me, I have my scripts in my cygwin home/bin. Why put them
> outside? That's their environment.

Because my $HOME on noacl mount. In fact it is matching my %USERPROFILE%.

>> However, I don't quite understand the nature of the issue here. Why not assume
>> all files "executable", and only check the magic word, when we actually trying
>> to execute them?

> True.
> Or all normal files like exe, com, bat, sh as executable, and the other
> ones manually with chmod. That information could be saved in a sqlite DB. Just an idea ;)

I would say, "just trust ACLs".
The cases of filesystem not supporting any ACL whatsoever being used with
Cygwin are very rare nowadays.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...

* Re: NOACL leads to a massive speed slowdown in file system processes
@ 2015-09-13 18:35     ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2015-09-13 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mikkel Filla, cygwin

Greetings, Mikkel Filla!

> Wow, that seems a very fast solution. Are there any side effects which
> could be a problem? Else I wonder, why this is not the default setting.

This is not the default exactly because of its nature.
It is unusable. You will not be able to run scripts from such mount point.
However, I don't quite understand the nature of the issue here. Why not assume
all files "executable", and only check the magic word, when we actually trying
to execute them?

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin
Sunday, September 13, 2015 21:21:28

@ 2015-09-13 17:36   ` Mikkel Filla
From: Mikkel Filla @ 2015-09-13 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2015-09-13 15:59   ` Bengt Larsson
From: Bengt Larsson @ 2015-09-13 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Bengt Larsson wrote:

>Try adding the "notexec" option. If it's mounted "noacl" Cygwin checks
>for executable by opening the file and checking the two first bytes.

If you add "notexec" scripts that start with "#!" won't be recognized as
executable. But files with .exe and .com extensions will be recognized.

* Re: NOACL leads to a massive speed slowdown in file system processes
@ 2015-09-13 15:44 ` Bengt Larsson
From: Bengt Larsson @ 2015-09-13 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2015-09-13  9:19 tiwasey