* Installer request: Remember state of final checkboxes between runs
@ 2017-01-13 15:14 Brian Mathis
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Brian Mathis @ 2017-01-13 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Every time the installer is run, it asks to create an icon on the
desktop.  I do not want an icon on my desktop, and I have to uncheck
this box every time.  I have probably done this 100 times since I've
been using Cygwin over the years.

The installer should remember that this option was declined and
default the checkbox to that state on the next run.

* Re: Installer request: Remember state of final checkboxes between runs
@ 2017-01-13 15:41 ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2017-01-13 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 13/01/2017 16:14, Brian Mathis wrote:
> Every time the installer is run, it asks to create an icon on the
> desktop.  I do not want an icon on my desktop, and I have to uncheck
> this box every time.  I have probably done this 100 times since I've
> been using Cygwin over the years.
>
> The installer should remember that this option was declined and
> default the checkbox to that state on the next run.

there are some options available for this

  -N --no-startmenu                 Disable creation of start menu shortcut
  -d --no-desktop                   Disable creation of desktop shortcut

* Re: Installer request: Remember state of final checkboxes between runs
@ 2017-01-13 15:46   ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2017-01-13 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Marco Atzeri writes:
> On 13/01/2017 16:14, Brian Mathis wrote:
>> The installer should remember that this option was declined and
>> default the checkbox to that state on the next run.
>>

> there are some options available for this
>
>  -N --no-startmenu                 Disable creation of start menu shortcut
>  -d --no-desktop                   Disable creation of desktop shortcut

I would imagine that the OP just double clicks the installer icon, so no
options are in effect.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: Installer request: Remember state of final checkboxes between runs
@ 2017-01-13 15:51     ` Markus Hoenicka
From: Markus Hoenicka @ 2017-01-13 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

At 2017-01-13 16:46, Achim Gratz was heard to say:
> Marco Atzeri writes:
>> On 13/01/2017 16:14, Brian Mathis wrote:
>>> The installer should remember that this option was declined and
>>> default the checkbox to that state on the next run.
>>>

>> there are some options available for this
>>
>>  -N --no-startmenu                 Disable creation of start menu
>> shortcut
>>  -d --no-desktop                   Disable creation of desktop
>> shortcut
>
> I would imagine that the OP just double clicks the installer icon, so
> no
> options are in effect.

I would imagine that a little Windows knowledge suffices to add those
options to the command represented by the icon.

regards,
Markus

--
Markus Hoenicka
http://www.mhoenicka.de

* Re: Installer request: Remember state of final checkboxes between runs
@ 2017-01-13 17:02       ` Brian Mathis
From: Brian Mathis @ 2017-01-13 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Thanks for the information, which I did not know about.

However, Achim is correct, and this should be implemented on
principle, even if there's a bad workaround.  When one is working with
and providing programs for a GUI-based environment, the program should
act as expected as a *GUI*, and not require someone to change contexts
to a command-line just to get an obvious feature.  The cygwin
environment is command-line-based, but the installer is GUI-based, and
should function as such.

@ 2017-01-13 22:06 ` Henry S. Thompson
From: Henry S. Thompson @ 2017-01-13 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I have a shortcut named setup64 whose target is as follows:

  C:\Users\[me]\Downloads\setup-x86_64.exe -n

which does the trick.

ht
                Fax: (44) 131 650-4587, e-mail: ht@inf.ed.ac.uk

* Re: Installer request: Remember state of final checkboxes between runs
@ 2017-01-13 22:20   ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2017-01-13 22:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2017-01-13 15:06, Henry S. Thompson wrote:
> I have a shortcut named setup64 whose target is as follows:
>
>   C:\Users\[me]\Downloads\setup-x86_64.exe -n
>
> which does the trick.

Add -g to auto-upgrade, -o to prune orphan packages, and -O to
use your usual mirror and run semi-unattended chooser-only mode.
Latest setup seems to want more confirmations and Next button
presses than previous releases in this mode, instead of just
skipping to Pending view, confirming additional packages, then
running thru to completion.

* Re: Installer request: Remember state of final checkboxes between runs
@ 2017-01-13 22:27 ` cyg Simple
From: cyg Simple @ 2017-01-13 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 1/13/2017 10:14 AM, Brian Mathis wrote:
> Every time the installer is run, it asks to create an icon on the
> desktop.  I do not want an icon on my desktop, and I have to uncheck
> this box every time.  I have probably done this 100 times since I've
> been using Cygwin over the years.

You only need to check the boxes on initial install.

> The installer should remember that this option was declined and
> default the checkbox to that state on the next run.

They are not checked by default because you only need to create them
once.  You don't need to create them on update unless you've removed the
shortcuts created.

--
cyg Simple

* Re: Installer request: Remember state of final checkboxes between runs
@ 2017-01-13 22:39   ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2017-01-13 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2017-01-13 15:27, cyg Simple wrote:
> On 1/13/2017 10:14 AM, Brian Mathis wrote:
>> Every time the installer is run, it asks to create an icon on the
>> desktop. I do not want an icon on my desktop, and I have to
>> uncheck this box every time. I have probably done this 100 times
>> since I've been using Cygwin over the years.
> You only need to check the boxes on initial install.
>> The installer should remember that this option was declined and
>> default the checkbox to that state on the next run.
> They are not checked by default because you only need to create them
> once. You don't need to create them on update unless you've removed
> the shortcuts created.

Just tested latest Setup - by default Desktop is checked, Start Menu is
cleared, and the rest of the time run semi-unattended mode with -gnMO.

* Re: Installer request: Remember state of final checkboxes between runs
@ 2017-01-14  4:23   ` Brian Mathis
From: Brian Mathis @ 2017-01-14  4:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 5:27 PM, cyg Simple <cygsimple@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/13/2017 10:14 AM, Brian Mathis wrote:
>> Every time the installer is run, it asks to create an icon on the
>> desktop.  I do not want an icon on my desktop, and I have to uncheck
>> this box every time.  I have probably done this 100 times since I've
>> been using Cygwin over the years.
>>

> You only need to check the boxes on initial install.
>
>> The installer should remember that this option was declined and
>> default the checkbox to that state on the next run.
>>

> They are not checked by default because you only need to create them
> once.  You don't need to create them on update unless you've removed the
> shortcuts created.
>
> --
> cyg Simple

No, this is not correct.  If you run the install and DEselect to
create icons, it will ask you to create them again next time.  It's
only doing a simple check if files exist to determine if the box is
checked.  If the files don't exist, then is asks to create them, so
there is no way to say "never create icons".

The only way it doesn't ask to create them is if they're already
there, which is no help to people who never want them.

* Re: Installer request: Remember state of final checkboxes between runs
@ 2017-01-15 13:59     ` cyg Simple
From: cyg Simple @ 2017-01-15 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 1/13/2017 11:23 PM, Brian Mathis wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 5:27 PM, cyg Simple <cygsimple@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 1/13/2017 10:14 AM, Brian Mathis wrote:
>>> Every time the installer is run, it asks to create an icon on the
>>> desktop.  I do not want an icon on my desktop, and I have to uncheck
>>> this box every time.  I have probably done this 100 times since I've
>>> been using Cygwin over the years.
>>>

>> You only need to check the boxes on initial install.
>>
>>> The installer should remember that this option was declined and
>>> default the checkbox to that state on the next run.
>>>

>> They are not checked by default because you only need to create them
>> once.  You don't need to create them on update unless you've removed the
>> shortcuts created.
>>
>> --
>> cyg Simple
>

> No, this is not correct.  If you run the install and DEselect to
> create icons, it will ask you to create them again next time.  It's
> only doing a simple check if files exist to determine if the box is
> checked.  If the files don't exist, then is asks to create them, so
> there is no way to say "never create icons".

Acknowledged.  This sounds to be an issue to me.  Are you able to
provide a patch?

--
cyg Simple