* wget or curl as base package
@ 2015-04-26  6:50 Steven Penny
From: Steven Penny @ 2015-04-26  6:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I feel that wget or curl should be a Cygwin base package. I looked at these
distros and they all come with one or both pre-installed.

    Debian    wget
    Arch      wget  curl
    Fedora          curl
    openSUSE  wget  curl
    Puppy     wget  curl
    MSYS2           curl

Including wget for example would require these packages

    wget          683,044
    libgnutls28   397,328
    libhogweed2   116,360
    libidn11       38,004
    libnettle4     83,768
                1,318,504

Current base requires 22,862,970 of packages.

* Re: wget or curl as base package
@ 2015-04-27 14:32 ` Warren Young
From: Warren Young @ 2015-04-27 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Apr 26, 2015, at 12:50 AM, Steven Penny <svnpenn@gmail.com> wrote:

> I feel that wget or curl should be a Cygwin base package. I looked at these
> distros and they all come with one or both pre-installed.

Cygwin’s “base” doesn’t use the same philosophy as the Linux distros you list.  It’s closer to the base install of the major BSDs, or an old-line Unix.  That is, you get just enough stuff to help you bootstrap whatever you actually need to get work done.