* Issues with OpenSSH Server
@ 2023-08-09 14:00 Sabarigirisan S
From: Sabarigirisan S @ 2023-08-09 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi

We have been using OpenSSH server for our windows environment for quite
some time close to 4 years and starting Saturday, we noticed that there is
some sort of weirdness where the console is not getting returned after
completion of connection from the client.

With heavily automated infrastructure, the automation scripts are breaking
currently.

Even from the localhost, when we open the cygwin terminal type exit, it is
not closing the console

Tried reinstalling Cygwin but the install process hangs forever on
ca-certificate post installation.

Can someone tell what is wrong here,

Regards
Sabari

* Re: Issues with OpenSSH Server
@ 2023-08-09 21:34 ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2023-08-09 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: Sabarigirisan S

On 2023-08-09 08:00, Sabarigirisan S via Cygwin wrote:
> We have been using OpenSSH server for our windows environment for quite
> some time close to 4 years and starting Saturday, we noticed that there is
> some sort of weirdness where the console is not getting returned after
> completion of connection from the client.

Are your Cygwin and ssh servers allowed or supported by your sysadmins?

Could they have changed some protection settings or policies to block the
programs or connections on Saturday?

Are your hosts running antivirus and could they have been changed or upgraded
Saturday? See BLODA:

	https://cygwin.com/faq/faq.html#faq.using.bloda

Are your hosts running Cygwin or Windows SSH servers?
Check that they are not trying to run both, or running only Windows SSH, that
your system and servicea startup ensures that, and did not change Saturday!

Check your firewall rules did not change Saturday to drop allowing incoming ssh
connections or make other changes to them.

> With heavily automated infrastructure, the automation scripts are breaking
> currently.
>
> Even from the localhost, when we open the cygwin terminal type exit, it is
> not closing the console
>
> Tried reinstalling Cygwin but the install process hangs forever on
> ca-certificate post installation.

Try running sh -vx /etc/postinstall/ca-certificates.sh to see if and where it is
getting stuck.
Also sh -vx /etc/postinstall/ca-certificates-letsencrypt.sh if you are allowing
letsencrypt certs.
If you are using any additional external or internal CAs or certs, check that
they are still installed and working.

This all assumes you are running current Cygwin and ssh packages.
In any case it is useful to follow the Cygwin problem reporting guidelines
appended to each post below, by replying to the list with a copy of the output
from running `cygcheck -hrsv > cygcheck-hrsv.log` on a failing system attached
as text, with any other relevant details of your Windows systems.

                                 -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry