* Cygwin-3 and the Bleeding Edge
@ 2019-03-04 12:06 KARL BOTTS
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: KARL BOTTS @ 2019-03-04 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Are cygwin packages being pushed to mirrors still compatible with
cygwin-2.11.2, now that cygwin-3 has entered the release pipeline?

I have several machines set up with cygwin.   (It is a pretty minimal subset:
no X, no apache, no big database servers, etc: just basic command line tools.)
 I try to keep the machines exactly in sync.  I generally update cygwin once
or twice a year, and sync all the machines to the same version of cygwin at
about the same time.  I have been doing this for many years, and have a
procedure that works well for me.  (Roughly, I use cygwin-setup to update one
machine, test and burn it in for a few days, and then clone it to the other
machines by other means.)

I try to avoid the "bleeding edge".  I follow the cygwin mailing list, and try
_not_ to take a new major version of base cygwin until it settles down, in
terms of mailing list traffic.  Right now, it feels to me like I should wait
awhile before moving to cygwin-3.

But now and then I need to upgrade a specific package outside of my full
cygwin update cycle.  E.g., right now I would like to upgrade just git.

So:  Assume for the moment that the latest git package release on the mirrors,
has been built against cygwin-3 base.  Am I reasonably safe to assume it will
still work with cygwin-2.11.2?  Does this generalize to all, or at least most,
other packages?

Thank you all for your advice.

---
Karl Botts, kdbotts@usa.net

* Re: Cygwin-3 and the Bleeding Edge
@ 2019-03-04 13:11 ` Steven Penny
From: Steven Penny @ 2019-03-04 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, 04 Mar 2019 06:05:52, "KARL BOTTS" wrote:
> But now and then I need to upgrade a specific package outside of my full
> cygwin update cycle.  E.g., right now I would like to upgrade just git.
>
> So:  Assume for the moment that the latest git package release on the mirrors,
> has been built against cygwin-3 base.  Am I reasonably safe to assume it will
> still work with cygwin-2.11.2?  Does this generalize to all, or at least most,
> other packages?

that is not the best example as the current Cygwin Git is version
2.17.0 (Apr 2018) and 4 minor versions have dropped since then:

- 2.18.0
- 2.19.0
- 2.20.0
- 2.21.0

* Re: Cygwin-3 and the Bleeding Edge
@ 2019-03-05 16:29 ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2019-03-05 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8", Size: 731 bytes --]

On 3/4/2019 7:05 AM, KARL BOTTS wrote:
> So:  Assume for the moment that the latest git package release on the mirrors,
> has been built against cygwin-3 base.  Am I reasonably safe to assume it will
> still work with cygwin-2.11.2?  Does this generalize to all, or at least most,
> other packages?

There's no general rule.  cygwin-3.0.0 introduced some new APIs.  Newly
built packages may or may not make use of these.  If they do, they won't
work with an earlier version of cygwin.

Ken
\x03B‹KCB”\x1c›Ø›\x19[H\x1c™\^[ܝ\x1cΈ\b\b\b\b\b\b\x1a\x1d\x1d\x1c\x0e‹ËØÞYÝÚ[‹˜ÛÛKÜ\x1c›Ø›\x19[\Ëš\x1d^[[\x03B‘TNˆ\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\x1a\x1d\x1d\x1c\x0e‹ËØÞYÝÚ[‹˜ÛÛKÙ˜\KÃB‘^[ØÝ[Y[\x18]\x1a[ÛŽˆ\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\x1a\x1d\x1d\x1c\x0e‹ËØÞYÝÚ[‹˜ÛÛKÙ^[ØÜËš\x1d^[[\x03B•[œÝXœØÜšX™H\x1a[™›Îˆ\b\b\b\b\b\x1a\x1d\x1d\x1c\x0e‹ËØÞYÝÚ[‹˜ÛÛKÛ[\vÈÝ[œÝXœØÜšX™K\Ú[\^[\x19CBƒB

* Re: Cygwin-3 and the Bleeding Edge
@ 2019-03-05 19:09 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2019-03-05 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

KARL BOTTS writes:
> Are cygwin packages being pushed to mirrors still compatible with
> cygwin-2.11.2, now that cygwin-3 has entered the release pipeline?

Cygwin, for better or worse, is a rolling distribution.  If that doesn't
suit your needs, you'll have to come up with your own mechanism to lock
things the way you want it to.

In this particular case, Cygwin 3.0 does add new API and if any new
package uses it, then it will become incompatible with the older Cygwin.
While I can't speak for other package maintainers, I usually fully
update Cygwin before building new packages.

> But now and then I need to upgrade a specific package outside of my full
> cygwin update cycle.  E.g., right now I would like to upgrade just git.

…which was built long before the API change in question.

> So:  Assume for the moment that the latest git package release on the mirrors,
> has been built against cygwin-3 base.  Am I reasonably safe to assume it will
> still work with cygwin-2.11.2?  Does this generalize to all, or at least most,
> other packages?

No.  You need to keep the dependency chain ordered so that all
dependencies of the package to be installed are older than the package
itself.  While setup now supports versioned dependencies in principle,
this is not currently used, so you'll have to do this via other means.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: Cygwin-3 and the Bleeding Edge
@ 2019-03-06  0:11 KARL BOTTS
From: KARL BOTTS @ 2019-03-06  0:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Achim wrote:

> Cygwin, for better or worse, is a rolling distribution.
> If that doesn't suit your needs...

Please, I was no way complaining or attacking.  To the contrary: cygwin is a
superb platform, excellently supported.  To which I can atest: i have been
utterly dependent on it for 20 years.  I wish Microsoft could support complex
software systems as well as the cygwin team does.  Corinna, in particular, is
a hero to me: she runs a taught ship.

I was just asking for info.  Which Achim supplied well:

> You need to keep the dependency chain ordered so that all
> dependencies of the package to be installed are older than the package
> itself. While setup now supports versioned dependencies in principle,
> this is not currently used, so you'll have to do this via other means.

Fine.  Makes sense.  I can do that.

And again, thank you all for decades of great work.

---
Karl Botts, kdbotts@usa.net