* Cygwin-3 and the Bleeding Edge
@ 2019-03-04 12:06 KARL BOTTS
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: KARL BOTTS @ 2019-03-04 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Are cygwin packages being pushed to mirrors still compatible with
cygwin-2.11.2, now that cygwin-3 has entered the release pipeline?

I have several machines set up with cygwin.   (It is a pretty minimal subset:
no X, no apache, no big database servers, etc: just basic command line tools.)
 I try to keep the machines exactly in sync.  I generally update cygwin once
or twice a year, and sync all the machines to the same version of cygwin at
about the same time.  I have been doing this for many years, and have a
procedure that works well for me.  (Roughly, I use cygwin-setup to update one
machine, test and burn it in for a few days, and then clone it to the other
machines by other means.)

I try to avoid the "bleeding edge".  I follow the cygwin mailing list, and try
_not_ to take a new major version of base cygwin until it settles down, in
terms of mailing list traffic.  Right now, it feels to me like I should wait
awhile before moving to cygwin-3.

But now and then I need to upgrade a specific package outside of my full
cygwin update cycle.  E.g., right now I would like to upgrade just git.

So:  Assume for the moment that the latest git package release on the mirrors,
has been built against cygwin-3 base.  Am I reasonably safe to assume it will
still work with cygwin-2.11.2?  Does this generalize to all, or at least most,
other packages?

Thank you all for your advice.

---
Karl Botts, kdbotts@usa.net

* Re: Cygwin-3 and the Bleeding Edge
@ 2019-03-06  0:11 KARL BOTTS
From: KARL BOTTS @ 2019-03-06  0:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Achim wrote:

> Cygwin, for better or worse, is a rolling distribution.
> If that doesn't suit your needs...

Please, I was no way complaining or attacking.  To the contrary: cygwin is a
superb platform, excellently supported.  To which I can atest: i have been
utterly dependent on it for 20 years.  I wish Microsoft could support complex
software systems as well as the cygwin team does.  Corinna, in particular, is
a hero to me: she runs a taught ship.

I was just asking for info.  Which Achim supplied well:

> You need to keep the dependency chain ordered so that all
> dependencies of the package to be installed are older than the package
> itself. While setup now supports versioned dependencies in principle,
> this is not currently used, so you'll have to do this via other means.

Fine.  Makes sense.  I can do that.

And again, thank you all for decades of great work.

---
Karl Botts, kdbotts@usa.net