* Finding cygport/cygwin source repositories not listed at https://cygwin.org/packages/package_list.html
@ 2020-12-16 20:31 Hamish McIntyre-Bhatty
From: Hamish McIntyre-Bhatty @ 2020-12-16 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 888 bytes --]

Hi all,

I have several packages I need the Cygwin source repositories for, but
there is no link from https://cygwin.org/packages/package_list.html to
the cygwin source.

In a few cases the repositories are also out of date (mostly Python
stuff, probably your packages adopted from Yaakov, Marco Atzeri?).

I was wondering if there's a good way to find these/if someone might
know of the top of their head if I list them?

It's quite a lot of packages, so it's likely better if I can be given
pointers.

Full disclaimer: I specifically need the source repos and not just the
source packages because I'm using them for an automated source bundling
tool for my DDRescue-GUI Windows bundle (which is open source but
commercial). I've spent ages writing the script and I'd rather not do it
over again / make lots of modifications and break it.

Any ideas?

Hamish

[-- Attachment #1.1.2: 0x87B761FE07F548D6.asc --]

* Re: Finding cygport/cygwin source repositories not listed at https://cygwin.org/packages/package_list.html
@ 2020-12-16 21:44 ` Adam Dinwoodie
From: Adam Dinwoodie @ 2020-12-16 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 16 Dec 2020 at 20:31, Hamish McIntyre-Bhatty wrote:
> I have several packages I need the Cygwin source repositories for, but
> there is no link from https://cygwin.org/packages/package_list.html to
> the cygwin source.
>
> In a few cases the repositories are also out of date (mostly Python
> stuff, probably your packages adopted from Yaakov, Marco Atzeri?).
>
> I was wondering if there's a good way to find these/if someone might
> know of the top of their head if I list them?
>
> It's quite a lot of packages, so it's likely better if I can be given
> pointers.
>
> Full disclaimer: I specifically need the source repos and not just the
> source packages because I'm using them for an automated source bundling
> tool for my DDRescue-GUI Windows bundle (which is open source but
> commercial). I've spent ages writing the script and I'd rather not do it
> over again / make lots of modifications and break it.
>
> Any ideas?

Yes, but I don't think you'll like it: use the source packages, not
the repositories. There's no obligation or expectation that package
maintainers make their source code available in any way other than
through providing a source package. Some do provide a public
repository and make it readily available, but I would not be at all
surprised if some maintainers – particularly for packages that don't
get many upstream updates – don't use version control at all.

Further, remember for GPL-like licenses you need to provide *all* the
source code that's used to create the binaries you're distributing,
including both the upstream source code and any Cygwin-specific
patches or modifications. Those will normally be in two separate
repositories, and there's no guarantee it'll be easy to find one from
the other. Taking Git as an easy example, since it's a package I
maintain and am familiar with: you'd need to find both
https://github.com/me-and/Cygwin-Git/ and
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/git/git.git if you wanted the
underlying repositories, and I can't think of any way to get from one
to the other that's not incredibly fragile. And, as I say, I suspect
there are a bunch of packages in Cygwin where it's much more
difficult, if not impossible.

I think a much better route here would be to parse the setup.ini files
(e.g. https://mirrorservice.org/sites/sourceware.org/pub/cygwin/x86_64/setup.ini)
to work out the paths of the source packages that correspond to each
of the release packages you're using, and to use those. That's going
to be less work and also less fragile than trying to hunt down
repositories that may not even exist.

Adam

* Re: Finding cygport/cygwin source repositories not listed at https://cygwin.org/packages/package_list.html
@ 2020-12-17 16:31   ` Hamish McIntyre-Bhatty
From: Hamish McIntyre-Bhatty @ 2020-12-17 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 2861 bytes --]

On 16/12/2020 21:44, Adam Dinwoodie wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Dec 2020 at 20:31, Hamish McIntyre-Bhatty wrote:
>> I have several packages I need the Cygwin source repositories for, but
>> there is no link from https://cygwin.org/packages/package_list.html to
>> the cygwin source.
>>
>> In a few cases the repositories are also out of date (mostly Python
>> stuff, probably your packages adopted from Yaakov, Marco Atzeri?).
>>
>> I was wondering if there's a good way to find these/if someone might
>> know of the top of their head if I list them?
>>
>> It's quite a lot of packages, so it's likely better if I can be given
>> pointers.
>>
>> Full disclaimer: I specifically need the source repos and not just the
>> source packages because I'm using them for an automated source bundling
>> tool for my DDRescue-GUI Windows bundle (which is open source but
>> commercial). I've spent ages writing the script and I'd rather not do it
>> over again / make lots of modifications and break it.
>>
>> Any ideas?
> Yes, but I don't think you'll like it: use the source packages, not
> the repositories. There's no obligation or expectation that package
> maintainers make their source code available in any way other than
> through providing a source package. Some do provide a public
> repository and make it readily available, but I would not be at all
> surprised if some maintainers – particularly for packages that don't
> get many upstream updates – don't use version control at all.
>
> Further, remember for GPL-like licenses you need to provide *all* the
> source code that's used to create the binaries you're distributing,
> including both the upstream source code and any Cygwin-specific
> patches or modifications. Those will normally be in two separate
> repositories, and there's no guarantee it'll be easy to find one from
> the other. Taking Git as an easy example, since it's a package I
> maintain and am familiar with: you'd need to find both
> https://github.com/me-and/Cygwin-Git/ and
> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/git/git.git if you wanted the
> underlying repositories, and I can't think of any way to get from one
> to the other that's not incredibly fragile. And, as I say, I suspect
> there are a bunch of packages in Cygwin where it's much more
> difficult, if not impossible.
>
> I think a much better route here would be to parse the setup.ini files
> (e.g. https://mirrorservice.org/sites/sourceware.org/pub/cygwin/x86_64/setup.ini)
> to work out the paths of the source packages that correspond to each
> of the release packages you're using, and to use those. That's going
> to be less work and also less fragile than trying to hunt down
> repositories that may not even exist.
>
> Adam

This really worked a treat, did the job much better.

Thanks so much! :)

@ 2020-12-17 18:29     ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2020-12-17 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hamish McIntyre-Bhatty via Cygwin writes:
> This really worked a treat, did the job much better.

Just be reminded that any of those packages can go away at any time, so
you really need to keep your own copies.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: Finding cygport/cygwin source repositories not listed at https://cygwin.org/packages/package_list.html
@ 2020-12-22 12:52       ` Hamish McIntyre-Bhatty