* lulatex problems after update of zlib
@ 2023-08-21  7:31 Per Larsson
From: Per Larsson @ 2023-08-21  7:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

After the latest update of zlib (1.2.13 -> 1.3),  I’ve got a problem using lualatex:

“lualatex failed: PANIC: unprotected error in call to Lua API (zlib library version does not match - header: 1.2.13, library: 1.3)”

It can be avoided by resetting zlib to the previous version, but reporting here to notice the problem.

* Re: lulatex problems after update of zlib
@ 2023-08-21 14:23 ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2023-08-21 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 8/21/2023 3:31 AM, Per Larsson via Cygwin wrote:
> After the latest update of zlib (1.2.13 -> 1.3),  I’ve got a problem using lualatex:
>
> “lualatex failed: PANIC: unprotected error in call to Lua API (zlib library version does not match - header: 1.2.13, library: 1.3)”
>
> It can be avoided by resetting zlib to the previous version, but reporting here to notice the problem.

Thanks for the report.  I think I can fix this by rebuilding the TeX
Live binaries with the new zlib.  I'll do that ASAP.

Ken

* Re: lulatex problems after update of zlib
@ 2023-08-21 15:02   ` ASSI
From: ASSI @ 2023-08-21 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Ken Brown via Cygwin writes:
> Thanks for the report.  I think I can fix this by rebuilding the TeX
> Live binaries with the new zlib.  I'll do that ASAP.

The ABI hasn't changed, so it would be good if you relaxed or removed
this check.  I've done that in a few other packages over the years.  For
Cygwin it just doesn't make sense to insist on one particular version of
any library (although in this case maybe i got spooked by the change
from 1.2.x to 1.3).

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: lulatex problems after update of zlib
@ 2023-08-21 19:21     ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2023-08-21 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 8/21/2023 11:02 AM, ASSI via Cygwin wrote:
> (although in this case maybe i got spooked by the change
> from 1.2.x to 1.3)

It looks like that's exactly what happened.  The version check compares
the first 4 characters of the version string.

Ken

* Re: lulatex problems after update of zlib
@ 2023-08-22 16:55       ` ASSI
From: ASSI @ 2023-08-22 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Ken Brown via Cygwin writes:
> On 8/21/2023 11:02 AM, ASSI via Cygwin wrote:
>> (although in this case maybe i got spooked by the change
>> from 1.2.x to 1.3)
>
> It looks like that's exactly what happened.  The version check
> compares the first 4 characters of the version string.

Almost exactly the same problem happened 13 years ago or so.  Instead of
heeding the comment right in the file that only the first character of
the version string should be examined (or else compare ZLIB_VERNUM),
they chose to shorten the comparison from 5 to 4 characters…

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: lulatex problems after update of zlib
@ 2023-08-22 21:14         ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2023-08-22 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 22/08/2023 17:55, ASSI via Cygwin wrote:
> Ken Brown via Cygwin writes:
>> On 8/21/2023 11:02 AM, ASSI via Cygwin wrote:
>>> (although in this case maybe i got spooked by the change
>>> from 1.2.x to 1.3)
>>
>> It looks like that's exactly what happened.  The version check
>> compares the first 4 characters of the version string.
>
> Almost exactly the same problem happened 13 years ago or so.  Instead of
> heeding the comment right in the file that only the first character of
> the version string should be examined (or else compare ZLIB_VERNUM),
> they chose to shorten the comparison from 5 to 4 characters…

I've been made aware of what seems to be a similar problem in cmake's
"find_package(ZLIB)", see:

https://gitlab.kitware.com/cmake/cmake/-/issues/25200

I think that means we need a cmake update with a fix for that...