* www.cygwin.com DNS setup
@ 2020-05-14 15:54 Chad Kimes
From: Chad Kimes @ 2020-05-14 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi all,

I'm investigating an issue with GitHub Actions runners having issues
connecting to www.cygwin.com:
https://github.com/actions/virtual-environments/issues/698

I worked with the Azure DNS team and in this comment
<https://github.com/actions/virtual-environments/issues/698#issuecomment-628284472>
detail what we believe to be the likely issue. Summarized:

www.cygwin.com is CNAME'd to server2.sourceware.org
server2.sourceware.org is an NS server for sourceware.org

We believe that the above configuration is triggering a bug in WinDNS that
is causing intermittent DNS resolution failures. I don't have an ETA for
resolution from the Azure DNS team, and internally I'm translating that to
be on the order of months before we see a fix. In order to resolve this
faster for customers, I'm reaching out to see what options we have for
updating the DNS records that are triggering this bug.

Is there a change you can make to either www.cygwin.com or
server2.sourceware.org DNS such that it doesn't have this recursive
reference issue? Some options are to replace the CNAME with an A record, or
to use something like ns2.sourceware.org for the NS record instead of
server2.sourceware.org which is being used for cygwin's A record reference.

Thanks,
-Chad