* www.cygwin.com DNS setup
@ 2020-05-14 15:54 Chad Kimes
From: Chad Kimes @ 2020-05-14 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi all,

I'm investigating an issue with GitHub Actions runners having issues
connecting to www.cygwin.com:
https://github.com/actions/virtual-environments/issues/698

I worked with the Azure DNS team and in this comment
<https://github.com/actions/virtual-environments/issues/698#issuecomment-628284472>
detail what we believe to be the likely issue. Summarized:

www.cygwin.com is CNAME'd to server2.sourceware.org
server2.sourceware.org is an NS server for sourceware.org

We believe that the above configuration is triggering a bug in WinDNS that
is causing intermittent DNS resolution failures. I don't have an ETA for
resolution from the Azure DNS team, and internally I'm translating that to
be on the order of months before we see a fix. In order to resolve this
faster for customers, I'm reaching out to see what options we have for
updating the DNS records that are triggering this bug.

Is there a change you can make to either www.cygwin.com or
server2.sourceware.org DNS such that it doesn't have this recursive
reference issue? Some options are to replace the CNAME with an A record, or
to use something like ns2.sourceware.org for the NS record instead of
server2.sourceware.org which is being used for cygwin's A record reference.

Thanks,
-Chad

* Re: www.cygwin.com DNS setup
@ 2020-05-14 16:31 ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2020-05-14 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 14/05/2020 16:54, Chad Kimes via Cygwin wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm investigating an issue with GitHub Actions runners having issues
> connecting to www.cygwin.com:
> https://github.com/actions/virtual-environments/issues/698
>
> I worked with the Azure DNS team and in this comment
> <https://github.com/actions/virtual-environments/issues/698#issuecomment-628284472>
> detail what we believe to be the likely issue. Summarized:
>
> www.cygwin.com is CNAME'd to server2.sourceware.org
> server2.sourceware.org is an NS server for sourceware.org
>
> We believe that the above configuration is triggering a bug in WinDNS that
> is causing intermittent DNS resolution failures. I don't have an ETA for
> resolution from the Azure DNS team, and internally I'm translating that to
> be on the order of months before we see a fix. In order to resolve this
> faster for customers, I'm reaching out to see what options we have for
> updating the DNS records that are triggering this bug.
>
> Is there a change you can make to either www.cygwin.com or
> server2.sourceware.org DNS such that it doesn't have this recursive
> reference issue? Some options are to replace the CNAME with an A record, or
> to use something like ns2.sourceware.org for the NS record instead of
> server2.sourceware.org which is being used for cygwin's A record reference.

I have drawn the attention of sourceware overseers to this.

They have requested the DNS change you suggest.

* Re: www.cygwin.com DNS setup
@ 2020-05-15 15:47   ` Chad Kimes
From: Chad Kimes @ 2020-05-15 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks Jon!

I see the change went through and I re-ran my validation script a few times
and I don't see the error anymore, which is awesome.

However, I believe my suggestions have inadvertently broken IPv6
connectivity for www.cygwin.com! The CNAME accounts for both A and AAAA
records, but only an A record was added after the CNAME was removed.

To fix this, can you please suggest that the team add an AAAA record
pointing to 2620:52:3:1:0:246e:9693:128c (the address for
server2.sourceware.org)?

Thanks,
-Chad

@ 2020-05-20 13:38     ` Chad Kimes
From: Chad Kimes @ 2020-05-20 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all - gentle ping here. I want to make sure Cygwin doesn't have any
issues with IPv6 connectivity after this change. Could you look into
suggesting the above AAAA record to the responsible team?

Thanks!
-Chad