* Missing announcements for screen?
@ 2017-05-03  3:23 Shaddy Baddah
From: Shaddy Baddah @ 2017-05-03  3:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

So I noticed my recent fresh install of Cygwin has screen 4.5.1-1
installed. And the most recent release is 4.5.2-1.

I've been afflicted by a screen bug that popped up some releases ago
say about 1.5 year ago. Basically, after detach, the restored screen
buffer is mildly corrupted. And the cursor ends up a line or two above
where it was (so it is in the middle of previous screen buffer output,
thus the corruption).

Previously, I tracked a problem with screen
(https://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2014-05/msg00331.html)
and sadly I know how involved it is to track down issues, so I've been
just checking each new update to see if it resolves the issue described.

In any case, I didn't recall the updates for screen hitting my Inbox.
Looking at the mailing list, it appears to me that announcements have
not been forthcoming for screen, and perhaps other packages, for a
while:

https://sourceware.org/cgi-bin/search.cgi?cmd=Search!&fmt=long&form=extended&GroupBySite=no&m=all&ps=10&q=screen&sp=1&sy=1&type=&ul=/ml/cygwin-announce/%25&wf=0020&wm=wrd&s=DRP

Can someone confirm that? Is there a list of what's been fixed in each
release that I can look at ahead of installation?

--
Thanks in advance,
Shaddy

* Re: Missing announcements for screen?
@ 2017-05-03  5:43 ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2017-05-03  5:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 03/05/2017 05:23, Shaddy Baddah wrote:
> Hi,
>
> So I noticed my recent fresh install of Cygwin has screen 4.5.1-1
> installed. And the most recent release is 4.5.2-1.
>

> In any case, I didn't recall the updates for screen hitting my Inbox.
> Looking at the mailing list, it appears to me that announcements have
> not been forthcoming for screen, and perhaps other packages, for a
> while:
>
> https://sourceware.org/cgi-bin/search.cgi?cmd=Search!&fmt=long&form=extended&GroupBySite=no&m=all&ps=10&q=screen&sp=1&sy=1&type=&ul=/ml/cygwin-announce/%25&wf=0020&wm=wrd&s=DRP
>

> Can someone confirm that? Is there a list of what's been fixed in each
> release that I can look at ahead of installation?

4.5.1-1 was uploaded in March, there is no announcement on the
mailing list archive . I assume it solved the
https://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin-announce/2017-01/msg00043.html

4.5.1-2 was just uploaded the 2nd of May
https://cygwin.com/packages/x86_64/screen/

Regards
Marco

* Re: Missing announcements for screen?
@ 2017-05-03 10:35 ` Andrew Schulman
From: Andrew Schulman @ 2017-05-03 10:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi Shaddy.

> So I noticed my recent fresh install of Cygwin has screen 4.5.1-1
> installed. And the most recent release is 4.5.2-1.

4.5.1-2

> Previously, I tracked a problem with screen
> (https://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2014-05/msg00331.html)
> and sadly I know how involved it is to track down issues, so I've been
> just checking each new update to see if it resolves the issue described.

I remember when you helped us to fix that, or I thought you had. I'm still using
the patch you provided.

No new patches have been added since then. Just minor upstream releases.

FWIW I use screen in Cygwin x86_64 every day, and I don't see any screen
corruption there, although I do see it in other OSes. Strange. Environment
variables? tty settings?

> In any case, I didn't recall the updates for screen hitting my Inbox.
> Looking at the mailing list, it appears to me that announcements have
> not been forthcoming for screen, and perhaps other packages, for a
> while:
>
> https://sourceware.org/cgi-bin/search.cgi?cmd=Search!&fmt=long&form=extended&GroupBySite=no&m=all&ps=10&q=screen&sp=1&sy=1&type=&ul=/ml/cygwin-announce/%25&wf=0020&wm=wrd&s=DRP
>
> Can someone confirm that? Is there a list of what's been fixed in each
> release that I can look at ahead of installation?

I confess to forgetting or just skipping announcements sometimes. It's hard for
me to tell that anyone cares about them, although I see that you do. I will try
to do better, though I guess if you don't see one from me you can assume nothing
important changed.

4.5.1-2 was just uploaded yesterday, as Marco said. I usually wait a day or so
(when I do remember) after I upload to send the announcement. Will send shortly.

Andrew

* RE: Missing announcements for screen?
@ 2017-05-03 15:45   ` Nellis, Kenneth (Conduent)
From: Nellis, Kenneth (Conduent) @ 2017-05-03 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Schulman, cygwin

From: Andrew Schulman
> I confess to forgetting or just skipping announcements sometimes. It's hard for
> me to tell that anyone cares about them, although I see that you do. I will try
> to do better, though I guess if you don't see one from me you can assume nothing
> important changed.

FWIW, I also care about announcements. It's how I monitor whether or not I
should update. I hope they continue.

--Ken Nellis

* Re: Missing announcements for screen?
@ 2017-05-03 21:41     ` Erik Soderquist
From: Erik Soderquist @ 2017-05-03 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, May 3, 2017 at 11:45 AM, Nellis, Kenneth (Conduent) wrote:
> FWIW, I also care about announcements. It's how I monitor whether or not I
> should update. I hope they continue.

Same here

-- Erik

* Re: Missing announcements for screen?
@ 2017-05-04 16:47       ` Andrew Schulman
From: Andrew Schulman @ 2017-05-04 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> On Wed, May 3, 2017 at 11:45 AM, Nellis, Kenneth (Conduent) wrote:
> > FWIW, I also care about announcements. It's how I monitor whether or not I
> > should update. I hope they continue.
>
> Same here

OK, I hear you.