* Home directory was not created
@ 2021-03-01 15:33 KAVALAGIOS Panagiotis (EEAS-EXT)
From: KAVALAGIOS Panagiotis (EEAS-EXT) @ 2021-03-01 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Dear all,

Something went wrong to my Cygwin installation update (update is performed by removing everything and installing again the new version). The home directory of my user was not created, when you run Cygwin for the first time. When I start Cygwin it defaults to the evil C:\Windows\System32!?!?

-bash-4.4$ pwd
/cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/System32
-bash-4.4$ cd
-bash: cd: /home/kavalpa: No such file or directory
-bash-4.4$

How this can be fixed in proper way, without causing any permission issues.

Kind regards,

Panos Kavalagios

Application Architect
CONSULIAT (under contract with the EEAS)
BA.BS.3.IS
Office: EEAS B100 Floor 5 Area 048
Rue Belliard 100, 1000 Brussels
Phone: +32 2 584 6017

* Re: Home directory was not created
@ 2021-03-01 17:37 ` Brian Inglis
       [not found]   ` <24934718098a4d26a65b68ef62f3b46e@BELBRU-EXMP101.eeas.europa.eu>
From: Brian Inglis @ 2021-03-01 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2021-03-01 08:33, KAVALAGIOS Panagiotis (EEAS-EXT) wrote:
> Something went wrong to my Cygwin installation update (update is performed
> by removing everything and installing again the new version). The home
> directory of my user was not created, when you run Cygwin for the first time.
> When I start Cygwin it defaults to the evil C:\Windows\System32!?!?
> -bash-4.4$ pwd
> /cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/System32
> -bash-4.4$ cd
> -bash: cd: /home/kavalpa: No such file or directory
> -bash-4.4$
> How this can be fixed in proper way, without causing any permission issues.

By figuring out what went wrong during setup.
Please respond attaching /var/log/setup.log.full and terminal or console log if
possible.

Otherwise just run setup-x86/_64 [-g] to upgrade without wiping everything to
avoid such problems.

* Re: Home directory was not created
@ 2021-03-02 17:27 ` Adam Dinwoodie
From: Adam Dinwoodie @ 2021-03-02 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, 1 Mar 2021 at 15:33, KAVALAGIOS Panagiotis (EEAS-EXT) wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Something went wrong to my Cygwin installation update (update is performed by removing everything and installing again the new version). The home directory of my user was not created, when you run Cygwin for the first time. When I start Cygwin it defaults to the evil C:\Windows\System32!?!?
>
> -bash-4.4$ pwd
> /cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/System32
> -bash-4.4$ cd
> -bash: cd: /home/kavalpa: No such file or directory
> -bash-4.4$
>
> How this can be fixed in proper way, without causing any permission issues.

These directories aren't normally created by the install scripts, but
by the /etc/profile script the first time you create a login shell.
You should see a message saying "Copying skeleton files. // These
files are for the users to personalise their cygwin experience." when
that happens.

Therefore the key question here: how are you starting Cygwin?

Adam

@ 2021-03-02 18:56     ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2021-03-02 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2021-03-02 01:08, KAVALAGIOS Panagiotis (EEAS-EXT) wrote:
> [...]

All postinstall steps failed because of BLODA or installation path:

2021/02/09 17:48:06 running: C:\Program Files\Cygwin\bin\dash.exe
"/etc/postinstall/0p_000_autorebase.dash"
       0 [main] dash (2296) shared_info::initialize: size of shared memory
region changed from 49080 to 40888
2021/02/09 17:48:20 abnormal exit: exit code=-1073741819

Installing under Program\ Files causes issues because of space in path names and
BLODA-like AV protections on those paths.

* RE: Home directory was not created
@ 2021-03-03 11:22       ` KAVALAGIOS Panagiotis (EEAS-EXT)
                           ` (3 more replies)
From: KAVALAGIOS Panagiotis (EEAS-EXT) @ 2021-03-03 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
> On 2021-03-02 01:08, KAVALAGIOS Panagiotis (EEAS-EXT) wrote:

OK, the mystery has been resolved. There should be at least an e-mail notification to indicate that limitation. It is not polite for the list to simply ignore the submissions without saying anything :)

> All postinstall steps failed because of BLODA or installation path:
>
> 2021/02/09 17:48:06 running: C:\Program Files\Cygwin\bin\dash.exe
> "/etc/postinstall/0p_000_autorebase.dash"
>        0 [main] dash (2296) shared_info::initialize: size of shared memory region
> changed from 49080 to 40888
> 2021/02/09 17:48:20 abnormal exit: exit code=-1073741819 ...
>
> Installing under Program\ Files causes issues because of space in path names
> and BLODA-like AV protections on those paths.

The installation is performed by powershell script that runs with the super admin (system user/nt authority) from local repository that normally bypasses all those kind of AV restrictions. I start it from the Cygwin icon that runs mintty under the hood. I don't know who took those 8KB from the script's shared memory, but indeed it looks like a BLODA interference. I will ask the package to be re-installed.

I have checked the installation logs and there was no error returned from the setup program. Shouldn't return non-zero value so that the package manager is notified about that issue? Or maybe it Is returned and I failed to propagate that in my .bat file:

---------
@echo off
@echo Starting Cygwin installation

"%cd%\setup-x86_64.exe" -q -A -L -l "%cd%\cygwin-repo" -R "C:\Program Files\Cygwin" -P autoconf,automake,bash-completion,binutils,curl,dos2unix,emacs,git,git-svn,gnupg2,inetutils,jq,konsole,mc,openssh,patchutils,perl,psmisc,python2,python3,rsync,ruby,subversion,tcsh,tmux,unzip,vim,vim-common,wget,xinit,xlaunch,xorg-server,xorg-server-common,xorg-server-xorg,xorg-x11-fonts-dpi100,xorg-x11-fonts-dpi75,xorg-x11-fonts-Type1,xorg-x11-fonts-misc,xterm,zip
---------

Does it need "exit /b %errorlevel%"?

We are running Cygwin from "C:\Program Files" for years without issue. A space in the directory name is a very supported character for Unix and Unix-like systems as well. A quoted path that includes a space character is enough to resolve any possible issues. Unfortunately on an enterprise environment, program execution is only allowed under "C:\Program Files", so we haven't left many options. We do have prepared another directory without spaces for programs that even refuse to be installed on a path containing spaces (call me Weblogic and ColdFusion servers), but Cygwin accepts happily to be installed on a directory with spaces with a small warning. I would need to justify the non-compliance of Cygwin to be moved off "C:\Program Files" and so far I don't have any evidence.

Panos

Application Architect
CONSULIAT (under contract with the EEAS)
BA.BS.3.IS
Office: EEAS B100 Floor 5 Area 048
Rue Belliard 100, 1000 Brussels
Phone: +32 2 584 6017

* Re: Home directory was not created
@ 2021-03-03 11:55         ` Andrey Repin
                           ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Andrey Repin @ 2021-03-03 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: KAVALAGIOS Panagiotis (EEAS-EXT), cygwin

Greetings, KAVALAGIOS Panagiotis (EEAS-EXT)!

>> All postinstall steps failed because of BLODA or installation path:
>>
>> 2021/02/09 17:48:06 running: C:\Program Files\Cygwin\bin\dash.exe
>> "/etc/postinstall/0p_000_autorebase.dash"
>>        0 [main] dash (2296) shared_info::initialize: size of shared memory region
>> changed from 49080 to 40888
>> 2021/02/09 17:48:20 abnormal exit: exit code=-1073741819 ...
>>
>> Installing under Program\ Files causes issues because of space in path names
>> and BLODA-like AV protections on those paths.

> The installation is performed by powershell script that runs with the super
> admin (system user/nt authority) from local repository that normally
> bypasses all those kind of AV restrictions. I start it from the Cygwin icon
> that runs mintty under the hood. I don't know who took those 8KB from the
> script's shared memory, but indeed it looks like a BLODA interference. I
> will ask the package to be re-installed.

In such (administrative install) case, the Cygwin user directories should be
redirected, f.e. to the user's profile, IMO.
See nsswitch.conf for examples and possible options of such redirection.

> We are running Cygwin from "C:\Program Files" for years without issue.

Coincidence, I'm sure.

> A space in the directory name is a very supported character for Unix and
> Unix-like systems as well.

Except script writers rarely account for that. Unfortunately.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...

* Re: Home directory was not created
@ 2021-03-03 11:57         ` Thomas Wolff
From: Thomas Wolff @ 2021-03-03 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: KAVALAGIOS Panagiotis (EEAS-EXT); +Cc: cygwin

Am 03.03.2021 um 12:22 schrieb KAVALAGIOS Panagiotis (EEAS-EXT):
> [...]
There have been 3 responses on the list so what are you complaining about?

* RE: Home directory was not created
@ 2021-03-03 12:43           ` KAVALAGIOS Panagiotis (EEAS-EXT)
From: KAVALAGIOS Panagiotis (EEAS-EXT) @ 2021-03-03 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
> Am 03.03.2021 um 12:22 schrieb KAVALAGIOS Panagiotis (EEAS-EXT):

I couldn't send the log file "setup.log.full" as attachment to the list. I tried both plain and zip version to no avail.

I have manage to sent it only as a private e-mail to Brian. There was no e-mail returned to indicate any error. It was silently ignored whereas there should be an error notification, or if there was it never reached my mailbox.

Panos

* Re: Home directory was not created
@ 2021-03-03 12:58             ` Thomas Wolff
From: Thomas Wolff @ 2021-03-03 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: KAVALAGIOS Panagiotis (EEAS-EXT); +Cc: cygwin

Am 03.03.2021 um 13:43 schrieb KAVALAGIOS Panagiotis (EEAS-EXT):
> [...]
You seem to have a novice understanding of how many open source projects
and mailing lists work.
You cannot *expect* anybody to respond to you within a certain time, or
even less than a day, unless you had a paid service contract. So reduce
your expectations. This is a volunteer project, free for all users after
all.

* RE: Home directory was not created
@ 2021-03-03 12:59           ` KAVALAGIOS Panagiotis (EEAS-EXT)
From: KAVALAGIOS Panagiotis (EEAS-EXT) @ 2021-03-03 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
> Greetings, KAVALAGIOS Panagiotis (EEAS-EXT)!
>
> >> All postinstall steps failed because of BLODA or installation path:
> >>
> >> 2021/02/09 17:48:06 running: C:\Program Files\Cygwin\bin\dash.exe
> >> "/etc/postinstall/0p_000_autorebase.dash"
> >>        0 [main] dash (2296) shared_info::initialize: size of shared
> >> memory region changed from 49080 to 40888
> >> 2021/02/09 17:48:20 abnormal exit: exit code=-1073741819 ...
> >>
> >> Installing under Program\ Files causes issues because of space in
> >> path names and BLODA-like AV protections on those paths.
>
> > The installation is performed by powershell script that runs with the
> > super admin (system user/nt authority) from local repository that
> > normally bypasses all those kind of AV restrictions. I start it from
> > the Cygwin icon that runs mintty under the hood. I don't know who took
> > those 8KB from the script's shared memory, but indeed it looks like a
> > BLODA interference. I will ask the package to be re-installed.
>
> In such (administrative install) case, the Cygwin user directories should be
> redirected, f.e. to the user's profile, IMO.
> See nsswitch.conf for examples and possible options of such redirection.

Yes, I am aware of this, but I prefer separate home directories to avoid confusion with the Windows programs. For example, we have Git for Windows and Git of Cygwin. The former consults %USERPROFILE%\.gitconfig and the latter $HOME/.gitconfig. You might need to set different options according to the environment you are running git and if they are the same, this is not possible.

> > We are running Cygwin from "C:\Program Files" for years without issue.
>
> Coincidence, I'm sure.
>
> > A space in the directory name is a very supported character for Unix
> > and Unix-like systems as well.
>
> Except script writers rarely account for that. Unfortunately.

That's true, but instead of advising for non-space installation paths, let's all install Cygwin under a space-containing path and identify all those individual cases. The space character in the path deserves more respect :)

Panos

* RE: Home directory was not created
@ 2021-03-03 13:07               ` KAVALAGIOS Panagiotis (EEAS-EXT)
From: KAVALAGIOS Panagiotis (EEAS-EXT) @ 2021-03-03 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
> Am 03.03.2021 um 13:43 schrieb KAVALAGIOS Panagiotis (EEAS-EXT):

I am sorry Thomas for not being clear. I didn't get any automated error response for my rejected e-mail with the attachment to the list. That was my complain about. In no case, there was no complain about the responses on the issue from the list members. I apologise for the misunderstanding.

Panos

* Re: Home directory was not created
@ 2021-03-03 17:07                 ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2021-03-03 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2021-03-03 06:07, KAVALAGIOS Panagiotis (EEAS-EXT) wrote:
> [...]
Don't expect mailing lists that don't post emails for policy reasons to reply
because of HTML, size, etc. That mail bombs a third party if the return address
is spoofed. At one point corporate boilerplate with certain keywords caused drops.

If a post does not appear on the list, you check the list, notice, and mention
that, with stats, in a post and you will be enlightened. ;^>

It would be nice to document the size limit on the Cygwin ML web page.
I can provide a patch, if someone provides an attachment size limit?
If not, I can provide a patch, and have someone fill in the actual size limit.

* RE: Home directory was not created
@ 2021-03-05 10:17         ` KAVALAGIOS Panagiotis (EEAS-EXT)
From: KAVALAGIOS Panagiotis (EEAS-EXT) @ 2021-03-05 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I have requested the Cygwin package to be re-installed on my laptop and now it works fine and in the first execution:

--------------
Copying skeleton files.
These files are for the users to personalise their cygwin experience.

They will never be overwritten nor automatically updated.

'./.bashrc' -> '/home/kavalpa//.bashrc'
'./.bash_profile' -> '/home/kavalpa//.bash_profile'
'./.inputrc' -> '/home/kavalpa//.inputrc'
'./.profile' -> '/home/kavalpa//.profile'

kavalpa@BELBRU-L1922205 ~
$
--------------

My /var/log/setup.log.full is also clean and the postinstall scripts were successfully completely:

--------------
2021/03/05 09:18:07 running: C:\Program Files\Cygwin\bin\bash.exe --norc --noprofile "/etc/postinstall/emacs.sh"
2021/03/05 09:18:09 running: C:\Program Files\Cygwin\bin\bash.exe --norc --noprofile "/etc/postinstall/librsvg2.sh"
2021/03/05 09:18:55 running: C:\Program Files\Cygwin\bin\bash.exe --norc --noprofile "/etc/postinstall/openssh.sh"
--------------

All good now thanks!

Panos

* Re: Home directory was not created
                           ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2021-03-05 18:50         ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2021-03-05 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2021-03-03 04:22, KAVALAGIOS Panagiotis (EEAS-EXT) wrote:
> [...]

You have just stated that there are at least two exceptions that you are aware
of installation under Program Files, so installation and execution is not "only
allowed" there.
Cygwin includes a lot of data files and your home directories under there and
Windows now, and moreso in the future, disables and disallows modifications and
changes there without elevation, or bypass of the policies requiring elevation.

The "small" warning is your interpretation, but feel free to downplay that
evidence and ignore it at your peril, as you may not soon notice the security
and/or integrity problems that occur because of programs and all the scripts
that don't handle spaces safely, especially in crafted path names and argument
values, or the problems that occur because Windows security may silently prevent
user changes or file creation, or require security policy bypasses to allow them
to do whatever they like under those paths.

Read up on OS/command/shell injection vulnerabilities and why patching bash for
shellshock was just the start of a massive effort required to change every
command in every script, and every program invoked by every script, to support
and use features that limit the opportunities for, and effects of, vulnerability
injections into directory and file paths and names, program and script names,
options, and argument values.

* Re: Home directory was not created
@ 2021-03-05 21:22             ` Kraja, Aldi
From: Kraja, Aldi @ 2021-03-05 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: KAVALAGIOS Panagiotis (EEAS-EXT); +Cc: cygwin

Dear Thomas, Kavalgios, Brian and who is the maintainer of the CYGWIN team,
Please remove my email address aldi@wustl.edu from your posting lists (cygwin@cygwin.com).

I have enjoyed your hard work as well as your outstanding contributions. But, now the time has arrived that your project is obsolete, because Microsoft has introduced ubuntu for windows system on windows 10, which covers everything I need. So, I have removed cygwin software from all my computers.

The installation of UBUNTU on windows 10 is very simple: a) On the search box of windows 10, search for "Turn Windows Features On or Off", b) In that list, check the box for "Windows Subsystem for Linux", c) Install the latest UBUNTU from Microsoft store for free, d) run terminal of Ubuntu from windows as an app: first time it will asks to set a username and password.
e) Follow with sudo ubuntu apt upgrade ; sudo ubuntu apt update. The rest is whatever the user wants to do, by installing additional packages, emacs etc. To simplify the use of x-win interface one can install VcXsrc for using XLaunch app for free.

Once more thank you for all your efforts in years. It has been a great help to use your software in years.

Best wishes,

Aldi Kraja, DSc, PhD
aldi.kraja@pystat.com

________________________________

* remove my email aldi@wustl.edu from the cygwin@cygwin.com email list
@ 2021-03-05 21:52               ` Kraja, Aldi
From: Kraja, Aldi @ 2021-03-05 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian Inglis, Thomas Wolff, cygwin, Cygwin,
	Marco Atzeri via Cygwin-announce, cygwinautoreply

Hi Brian and Thomas,
If any of you is the maintainer of cygwin@cygwin.com mailling list, see the reason why I am asking to remove my email aldi@wustl.edu from the cygwin@cygwin.com list. Thank you in advance, Aldi Kraja, DSc, PhD

________________________________
Dear Thomas, Kavalagios, Brian and who is the maintainer of the CYGWIN team,

@ 2021-03-06  1:38               ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2021-03-06  1:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: Kraja, Aldi

On 2021-03-05 14:22, Kraja, Aldi via Cygwin wrote:
> Please remove my email address aldi@wustl.edu from your posting lists (cygwin@cygwin.com).

If following the links to the instructions at the bottom of the page:

"Cygwin Subscribers
To unsubscribe from Cygwin, get a password reminder, or change your subscription
options enter your subscription email address:
		(				)(Unsubscribe or edit options)
If you leave the field blank, you will be prompted for your email address"

does not work, then please try sending a blank email from your subscribed
address to <mailto:cygwin-request@cygwin.com?subject=unsubscribe> as detailed in
the 4KB of headers in each email you get from cygwin@cygwin.com.

If that does not work you may get help by sending a blank email from your
subscribed address to: <mailto:cygwin-request@cygwin.com?subject=help>

You may also consult the information under:

 > I have enjoyed your hard work as well as your outstanding contributions. But,
now the time has arrived that your project is obsolete, because Microsoft has
introduced ubuntu for windows system on windows 10, which covers everything I
need. So, I have removed cygwin software from all my computers.
 > The installation of UBUNTU on windows 10 is very simple: a) On the search box
of windows 10, search for "Turn Windows Features On or Off", b) In that list,
check the box for "Windows Subsystem for Linux", c) Install the latest UBUNTU
from Microsoft store for free, d) run terminal of Ubuntu from windows as an app:
first time it will asks to set a username and password.
 > e) Follow with sudo ubuntu apt upgrade ; sudo ubuntu apt update. The rest is
whatever the user wants to do, by installing additional packages, emacs etc. To
simplify the use of x-win interface one can install VcXsrc for using XLaunch app
for free.
 > Once more thank you for all your efforts in years. It has been a great help
to use your software in years.

[WSL has been available for a few years now with a number of distros available
on the Windows app store and github.
There are still many different use cases for each of the alternatives of Cygwin,
WSL VMs, Unix VMs, Unix on hardware. Interoperability is still best under
Cygwin; iffy under WSL with limitations and security not integrated: not seeing
much value from using a common MS kernel under each WSL VM, rather than the
native distro Linux kernel under an actual VM; somewhat available under VMs via
mounts, still unsure how much I trust NTFS to manage "local" workstation VM
Samba shares, although I do a fair amount of read/write from both sides for
testing.]