* Fwd: failure notice
       [not found] <56619fc2.83c1420a.10961.ffffb37fSMTPIN_ADDED_MISSING@mx.google.com>
@ 2015-12-04 14:20 ` Tom Kacvinsky
From: Tom Kacvinsky @ 2015-12-04 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

We have an interesting problem whereby an Linux X client application
crashes when running the X server on cygwin.  We have a reproducer
for the problem, but it is a Qt example application stored in a tarball.

We have gathered the other information that would typically be requested.
I just need to know the best way of getting this information to the list.

Thanks,

Tom.

* Re: failure notice
@ 2015-12-07 14:01   ` Tom Kacvinsky
From: Tom Kacvinsky @ 2015-12-07 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi.

On Fri, Dec 4, 2015 at 9:20 AM, Tom Kacvinsky
<tom.kacvinsky@vectorcast.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have an interesting problem whereby an Linux X client application
> crashes when running the X server on cygwin.  We have a reproducer
> for the problem, but it is a Qt example application stored in a tarball.
>
> We have gathered the other information that would typically be requested.
> I just need to know the best way of getting this information to the list.

Bump.  We like to know about this because if we are running into
problems, our customers will, too.  I have an additional piece of
information.  What we've test is:

Multiple windows (Doesn't Work)
One window (Works)
Full screen (Works)
One window without title bar (Works)

* Re: Fwd: failure notice
@ 2015-12-07 15:19   ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2015-12-07 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Kacvinsky, cygwin

On 04/12/2015 14:20, Tom Kacvinsky wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have an interesting problem whereby an Linux X client application
> crashes when running the X server on cygwin.  We have a reproducer
> for the problem, but it is a Qt example application stored in a tarball.
>
> We have gathered the other information that would typically be requested.
> I just need to know the best way of getting this information to the list.

If the tarball is being rejected by the mailing list, I'd suggest you
upload it to some file hosting site and send a link to the mailing list.

If that is really not possible for you (why?), you may, on this specific
occasion only, mail it directly to me.

--
Jon TURNEY
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer

* Re: Fwd: failure notice
@ 2015-12-07 15:24     ` Tom Kacvinsky
From: Tom Kacvinsky @ 2015-12-07 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, Dec 7, 2015 at 10:19 AM, Jon Turney <jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk> wrote:
> On 04/12/2015 14:20, Tom Kacvinsky wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> We have an interesting problem whereby an Linux X client application
>> crashes when running the X server on cygwin.  We have a reproducer
>> for the problem, but it is a Qt example application stored in a tarball.
>>
>> We have gathered the other information that would typically be requested.
>> I just need to know the best way of getting this information to the list.
>

> If the tarball is being rejected by the mailing list, I'd suggest you upload
> it to some file hosting site and send a link to the mailing list.
>
> If that is really not possible for you (why?), you may, on this specific
> occasion only, mail it directly to me.

Hi Jon,

That is totally do-able.  I will get it on a hosting site and send the link.

Thanks,

Tom

* Re: Fwd: failure notice
@ 2015-12-07 16:17       ` Tom Kacvinsky
From: Tom Kacvinsky @ 2015-12-07 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, Dec 7, 2015 at 10:24 AM, Tom Kacvinsky
<tom.kacvinsky@vectorcast.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 7, 2015 at 10:19 AM, Jon Turney <jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk> wrote:
>> On 04/12/2015 14:20, Tom Kacvinsky wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> We have an interesting problem whereby an Linux X client application
>>> crashes when running the X server on cygwin.  We have a reproducer
>>> for the problem, but it is a Qt example application stored in a tarball.
>>>
>>> We have gathered the other information that would typically be requested.
>>> I just need to know the best way of getting this information to the list.
>>

>> If the tarball is being rejected by the mailing list, I'd suggest you upload
>> it to some file hosting site and send a link to the mailing list.
>>
>> If that is really not possible for you (why?), you may, on this specific
>> occasion only, mail it directly to me.
>
> Hi Jon,
>
> That is totally do-able.  I will get it on a hosting site and send the link.

Here is the DropBox link.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b6exaxm30j8q318/cygwin-x-repro.zip?dl=0

Please note it is a Qt reproducer.  We have some hard coded paths in
the Makefile that you will need to modify.  We are using Qt 4.8.6
built on Ubuntu 12.04, 32 bit.

Steps to reproduce:

Build menus project
Execute menus excutable
Click on Edit to expand its menu
Move the cursor down the menu and expand Format
Move the cursor down the expanded menu and exit at the Center item
move cursor to hover over File node.
Menus app terminates

* Re: Fwd: failure notice
@ 2015-12-08 16:49         ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2015-12-08 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Kacvinsky; +Cc: cygwin

On 07/12/2015 16:17, Tom Kacvinsky wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 7, 2015 at 10:24 AM, Tom Kacvinsky wrote:

>>> If the tarball is being rejected by the mailing list, I'd suggest you upload
>>> it to some file hosting site and send a link to the mailing list.
>>>
>>> If that is really not possible for you (why?), you may, on this specific
>>> occasion only, mail it directly to me.
>>
>> Hi Jon,
>>
>> That is totally do-able.  I will get it on a hosting site and send the link.
>
> Here is the DropBox link.
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/b6exaxm30j8q318/cygwin-x-repro.zip?dl=0

Sorry, I hadn't noticed that you are describing a crash in the Qt
client, not the Cygwin X server.

So, firstly, this is a Qt issue.

It may well be that the multiwindow mode window manager for the Cygwin X
server doesn't satisfy some expectation that Qt has (and I would be
interested to know what that is), but Qt crashing is never the right
thing to do.

A backtrace of the Qt client when it crashes might be informative.

> Please note it is a Qt reproducer.  We have some hard coded paths in
> the Makefile that you will need to modify.  We are using Qt 4.8.6
> built on Ubuntu 12.04, 32 bit.
>
> Steps to reproduce:
>
> Build menus project
> Execute menus excutable
> Click on Edit to expand its menu
> Move the cursor down the menu and expand Format
> Move the cursor down the expanded menu and exit at the Center item
> move cursor to hover over File node.
> Menus app terminates

Nevertheless, I tried your reproducer in a Ubuntu 12.04 32-bit VM, but
wasn't able to observe any crash.

I note that an Ubuntu 12.04 only seems to have Qt 4.8.1.  Are you using
a self-built Qt?

--

@ 2015-12-08 16:55           ` Tom Kacvinsky
From: Tom Kacvinsky @ 2015-12-08 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Dec 8, 2015 at 11:49 AM, Jon Turney <jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk> wrote:
> On 07/12/2015 16:17, Tom Kacvinsky wrote:

>>> Hi Jon,
>>>
>>> That is totally do-able.  I will get it on a hosting site and send the
>>> link.
>>

>> Here is the DropBox link.
>>
>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/b6exaxm30j8q318/cygwin-x-repro.zip?dl=0
>

> Sorry, I hadn't noticed that you are describing a crash in the Qt client,
> not the Cygwin X server.
>
> So, firstly, this is a Qt issue.
>
> It may well be that the multiwindow mode window manager for the Cygwin X
> server doesn't satisfy some expectation that Qt has (and I would be
> interested to know what that is), but Qt crashing is never the right
> thing to do.
>
> A backtrace of the Qt client when it crashes might be informative.

Will attempt to get one.  I recall seeing in our internal bug tracking system
the exact X server error message.  Would that be of use?

>> Please note it is a Qt reproducer.  We have some hard coded paths in
>> the Makefile that you will need to modify.  We are using Qt 4.8.6
>> built on Ubuntu 12.04, 32 bit.
>

> Nevertheless, I tried your reproducer in a Ubuntu 12.04 32-bit VM, but
> wasn't able to observe any crash.
>
> I note that an Ubuntu 12.04 only seems to have Qt 4.8.1.  Are you using a
> self-built Qt?

Yes, we are using a self built Qt, pretty much a stock build, only thing we are
not doing is building the examples and demos.

Thanks for your time.

Tom

* Re: Fwd: failure notice
@ 2015-12-08 18:57             ` Tom Kacvinsky
From: Tom Kacvinsky @ 2015-12-08 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Dec 8, 2015 at 11:55 AM, Tom Kacvinsky
<tom.kacvinsky@vectorcast.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 8, 2015 at 11:49 AM, Jon Turney <jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk> wrote:

>>> Here is the DropBox link.
>>>
>>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/b6exaxm30j8q318/cygwin-x-repro.zip?dl=0
>>

>> Sorry, I hadn't noticed that you are describing a crash in the Qt client,
>> not the Cygwin X server.
>>
>> So, firstly, this is a Qt issue.

It could be, since you aren't able to reproduce with Qt 4.8.1, but we can
with 4.8.5 that we built.  See below.

>> It may well be that the multiwindow mode window manager for the Cygwin X
>> server doesn't satisfy some expectation that Qt has (and I would be
>> interested to know what that is), but Qt crashing is never the right
>> thing to do.
>>
>> A backtrace of the Qt client when it crashes might be informative.
>>

> Will attempt to get one.  I recall seeing in our internal bug tracking system
> the exact X server error message.  Would that be of use?

There is no hard crash with a core dump so I can't get a backtrace.  The client
dies with no diagnostics - the GUI goes away and we return to the command
prompt.

>>> Please note it is a Qt reproducer.  We have some hard coded paths in
>>> the Makefile that you will need to modify.  We are using Qt 4.8.6
>>> built on Ubuntu 12.04, 32 bit.
>>
>> Nevertheless, I tried your reproducer in a Ubuntu 12.04 32-bit VM, but
>> wasn't able to observe any crash.
>>
>> I note that an Ubuntu 12.04 only seems to have Qt 4.8.1.  Are you using a
>> self-built Qt?
>
> Yes, we are using a self built Qt, pretty much a stock build, only thing we are
> not doing is building the examples and demos.

We can provide the libraries we built and you can set LD_LIBRARY_PATH
accordingly.

Tom

* Re: Fwd: failure notice
@ 2015-12-21 18:58               ` Tom Kacvinsky
From: Tom Kacvinsky @ 2015-12-21 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Dec 8, 2015 at 1:57 PM, Tom Kacvinsky
<tom.kacvinsky@vectorcast.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 8, 2015 at 11:55 AM, Tom Kacvinsky
> <tom.kacvinsky@vectorcast.com> wrote:

>>> Sorry, I hadn't noticed that you are describing a crash in the Qt client,
>>> not the Cygwin X server.
>>>
>>> So, firstly, this is a Qt issue.
>
> It could be, since you aren't able to reproduce with Qt 4.8.1, but we can
> with 4.8.5 that we built.  See below.
>

>>> It may well be that the multiwindow mode window manager for the Cygwin X
>>> server doesn't satisfy some expectation that Qt has (and I would be
>>> interested to know what that is), but Qt crashing is never the right
>>> thing to do.
>>>
>>> A backtrace of the Qt client when it crashes might be informative.
>>>

>> Will attempt to get one.  I recall seeing in our internal bug tracking system
>> the exact X server error message.  Would that be of use?
>>

> There is no hard crash with a core dump so I can't get a backtrace.  The client
> dies with no diagnostics - the GUI goes away and we return to the command
> prompt.

While the application doesn't crash with a core dump even thought
assertion is triggered
(probably due to signal handlers installed by the Ada run time we
use), we do see this when
the application exits:

../../src/xcb_io.c:528: _XAllocID: Assertion `ret != inval_id' failed.

I don't know if this additional information is of use.

>>> Nevertheless, I tried your reproducer in a Ubuntu 12.04 32-bit VM, but
>>> wasn't able to observe any crash.
>>>
>>> I note that an Ubuntu 12.04 only seems to have Qt 4.8.1.  Are you using a
>>> self-built Qt?
>>
>> Yes, we are using a self built Qt, pretty much a stock build, only thing we are
>> not doing is building the examples and demos.
>>

> We can provide the libraries we built and you can set LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> accordingly.

Do you want the libraries we have?  We have pinged Digia and they say
they won't look into this, especially considering Qt 4.8.x is EOL in
terms of support.

So, what are the next steps?

Thanks,

Tom

* Re: Fwd: failure notice
@ 2015-12-22 15:34                 ` Tom Kacvinsky
From: Tom Kacvinsky @ 2015-12-22 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

It turns out we are using the 32 bit version of cygwin, so I am going
to try with 64 bit cygwin and the latest possible version and see how
I fare.

* Re: Fwd: failure notice
@ 2016-01-04 18:43                   ` Tom Kacvinsky
From: Tom Kacvinsky @ 2016-01-04 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Dec 22, 2015 at 10:34 AM, Tom Kacvinsky
<tom.kacvinsky@vectorcast.com> wrote:
> It turns out we are using the 32 bit version of cygwin, so I am going
> to try with 64 bit cygwin and the latest possible version and see how
> I fare.

Happens with both 32 and 64 bit cygwin.  I'm out of ideas.  The
developer here that I have been working with seems to think this ia
cygwin bug as this didn't happen in the 1.7 releases, and the version
of Qt we are using hasn't changed in between the cygwin versions we
are using.

Any other ideas?  Is there an environment variable or debug option we
can set to help track this down?

* Re: Fwd: failure notice
@ 2016-01-12 14:14                     ` Tom Kacvinsky
From: Tom Kacvinsky @ 2016-01-12 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Bump.  Any word on this?  We would like to solve this before our
customers run into the problem and having any diagnostics tips would
be greatly appreciated.  We are also in a bind because we have run
this by the Qt maintainers and they say they won't fix it.

Thanks,

Tom

On Mon, Jan 4, 2016 at 1:43 PM, Tom Kacvinsky

@ 1997-10-23  7:13 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1997-10-23  7:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

Maybe this is a reason to also post to the list!!

---o0O0--Earnie--0O0o----
-earnie_boyd@hotmail.com-
------ooo0O--O0ooo-------