* how to set mount posix=1 option for an existing bind mount?
@ 2023-08-08 14:52 Cedric Blancher
From: Cedric Blancher @ 2023-08-08 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Good afternoon!

How do I set mount posix=1 option for an existing bind mount? mount -o
remount does not work.

Ced
--
Cedric Blancher <cedric.blancher@gmail.com>
[https://plus.google.com/u/0/+CedricBlancher/]

* Re: how to set mount posix=1 option for an existing bind mount?
@ 2023-08-08 18:53 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2023-08-08 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cedric Blancher; +Cc: cygwin

On Aug  8 16:52, Cedric Blancher via Cygwin wrote:
> Good afternoon!
>
> How do I set mount posix=1 option for an existing bind mount? mount -o
> remount does not work.

Did you read https://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/mount.html?

Mount points created by mount(1) only exist in the current user session,
and they will disappear with the last process of that user.

Our mount(1) doesn't support remount, so you have to unmount and mount
again.  Again, this only affects the current user session, not other
users on the system.

Last but not least, posix=1 is default and is not shown in the output
of mount(1).  Only posix=0 will be printed.  So this:

  C:/foo on /home/bar type smbfs (binary,user,bind)

means the mount point is mounted with posix=1.

Corinna

* Re: how to set mount posix=1 option for an existing bind mount?
@ 2023-08-11 15:37   ` Cedric Blancher
From: Cedric Blancher @ 2023-08-11 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, 8 Aug 2023 at 20:53, Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin@cygwin.com> wrote:

> On Aug  8 16:52, Cedric Blancher via Cygwin wrote:
> > Good afternoon!
> >
> > How do I set mount posix=1 option for an existing bind mount? mount -o
> > remount does not work.
>
> Did you read https://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/mount.html?
>
> Mount points created by mount(1) only exist in the current user session,
> and they will disappear with the last process of that user.

Where are the sessions stored? How can I list, create and destroy sessions?

> Our mount(1) doesn't support remount, so you have to unmount and mount
> again.  Again, this only affects the current user session, not other
> users on the system.
>
> Last but not least, posix=1 is default and is not shown in the output
> of mount(1).  Only posix=0 will be printed.  So this:
>
>   C:/foo on /home/bar type smbfs (binary,user,bind)
>
> means the mount point is mounted with posix=1.

But on my Cygwin 4.7 installation C: defaults to posix=1

posix=0 is default for /cygwin/c:
$ mount
C:/cygwin64/bin on /usr/bin type ntfs (binary,auto)
C:/cygwin64/lib on /usr/lib type ntfs (binary,auto)
C:/cygwin64 on / type ntfs (binary,auto)
C: on /cygdrive/c type ntfs (binary,posix=0,user,noumount,auto)

Why? Where do I change the default?

Ced
--

@ 2023-08-14  9:46     ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2023-08-14  9:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cedric Blancher; +Cc: cygwin

On Aug 11 17:37, Cedric Blancher via Cygwin wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Aug 2023 at 20:53, Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin@cygwin.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Aug  8 16:52, Cedric Blancher via Cygwin wrote:
> > > Good afternoon!
> > >
> > > How do I set mount posix=1 option for an existing bind mount? mount -o
> > > remount does not work.
> >
> > Did you read https://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/mount.html?
> >
> > Mount points created by mount(1) only exist in the current user session,
> > and they will disappear with the last process of that user.
>
> Where are the sessions stored? How can I list, create and destroy sessions?

I'm talking about Windows sessions.  Cygwin just has a shared memory
shared between all processes of a user session.  That's where the mount
points are stored.  Shared memory is not persistent and destroyed (by
Windows) as soon as the last process having a HANDLE on that shared
memory exits.

> > Our mount(1) doesn't support remount, so you have to unmount and mount
> > again.  Again, this only affects the current user session, not other
> > users on the system.
> >
> > Last but not least, posix=1 is default and is not shown in the output
> > of mount(1).  Only posix=0 will be printed.  So this:
> >
> >   C:/foo on /home/bar type smbfs (binary,user,bind)
> >
> > means the mount point is mounted with posix=1.
>
> But on my Cygwin 4.7 installation C: defaults to posix=1
>
> posix=0 is default for /cygwin/c:
> $ mount
> C:/cygwin64/bin on /usr/bin type ntfs (binary,auto)
> C:/cygwin64/lib on /usr/lib type ntfs (binary,auto)
> C:/cygwin64 on / type ntfs (binary,auto)
> C: on /cygdrive/c type ntfs (binary,posix=0,user,noumount,auto)
>
> Why? Where do I change the default?

https://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using.html#mount-table
https://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using.html#cygdrive

Corinna