* virtualenv 20.2.2-1 dependencies: filelock and distlib
@ 2021-08-09 16:37 Friedrich Romstedt
From: Friedrich Romstedt @ 2021-08-09 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi there,

This is about a small issue I ran into with using virtualenv-20.2.2-1
(package name python38-virtualenv) with Python 3.8.10 (package
python38) in Cygwin (64-bit).

After having installed python38-virtualenv (and its automatically
picked dependencies), using virtualenv by:

    $ python -m virtualenv <folder>

presented me the output attached as file [a02.txt]. "filelock" is a
Python package, part of the cygwin package database. Having installed
it, the same command as above yielded [a03.txt] (attached); there was
no more output. Having treated the package "distlib" mentioned there
the same way as "filelock", creating a virtual environment now
succeeds.

I did some googling:

    site:sourceware.org/pipermail/cygwin virtualenv filelock

    virtualenv filelock cygwin

without substantial results; thus posting here.

Judging from [a02.txt], "filelock" is a *direct* dependency of
"virtualenv".  I do not know if the same holds for "distlib".

Since I feel that this is a pretty obvious result I am skipping the
"cygcheck -svr" output here.

Best,
Friedrich

[-- Attachment #2: a02 filelock missing.txt --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 1122 bytes --]

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/runpy.py", line 185, in _run_module_as_main
    mod_name, mod_spec, code = _get_module_details(mod_name, _Error)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/runpy.py", line 144, in _get_module_details
    return _get_module_details(pkg_main_name, error)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/runpy.py", line 111, in _get_module_details
    __import__(pkg_name)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/virtualenv/__init__.py", line 3, in <module>
    from .run import cli_run, session_via_cli
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/virtualenv/run/__init__.py", line 6, in <module>
    from ..app_data import make_app_data
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/virtualenv/app_data/__init__.py", line 12, in <module>
    from .read_only import ReadOnlyAppData
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/virtualenv/app_data/read_only.py", line 3, in <module>
    from virtualenv.util.lock import NoOpFileLock
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/virtualenv/util/lock.py", line 10, in <module>
    from filelock import FileLock, Timeout
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'filelock'

[-- Attachment #3: a03 distlib missing.txt --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 47 bytes --]

ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'distlib'

* Re: virtualenv 20.2.2-1 dependencies: filelock and distlib
@ 2021-08-10  9:30 ` Russell VT
From: Russell VT @ 2021-08-10  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Friedrich Romstedt; +Cc: cygwin

Well, it's been a hot minute since I've used virtualenv, by itself... but,
generally you're going to want to use "mkvirtualenv" and related tools to
create and then access your Python libraries (often under the
projects 'venv' directory).Your mileage may vary, trying to invoke it
directly from the command line with a module argument.

Myself, I tend to like to distance my Python environments from the
Operating System version(s)... and I use pyenv
<https://github.com/pyenv/pyenv> with pyenv-virtualenv
<https://github.com/pyenv/pyenv-virtualenv>, and then provided I have a
decent compiler environment, you can install Python from distribution
(though, full disclosure and in all fairness, I've had a few issues with
non-standard directory locations for things like ffi/cffi (IIRC), when
compiling newer Python versions (though I've not checked, recently).

Hope that helps in some way.

On Mon, Aug 9, 2021 at 9:38 AM Friedrich Romstedt via Cygwin <
cygwin@cygwin.com> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> This is about a small issue I ran into with using virtualenv-20.2.2-1
> (package name python38-virtualenv) with Python 3.8.10 (package
> python38) in Cygwin (64-bit).
>
> After having installed python38-virtualenv (and its automatically
> picked dependencies), using virtualenv by:
>
>     $ python -m virtualenv <folder>
>
> presented me the output attached as file [a02.txt]. "filelock" is a
> Python package, part of the cygwin package database. Having installed
> it, the same command as above yielded [a03.txt] (attached); there was
> no more output. Having treated the package "distlib" mentioned there
> the same way as "filelock", creating a virtual environment now
> succeeds.
>
> I did some googling:
>
>     site:sourceware.org/pipermail/cygwin virtualenv filelock
>
>     virtualenv filelock cygwin
>
> without substantial results; thus posting here.
>
> Judging from [a02.txt], "filelock" is a *direct* dependency of
> "virtualenv".  I do not know if the same holds for "distlib".
>
> Since I feel that this is a pretty obvious result I am skipping the
> "cygcheck -svr" output here.
>
> Best,
> Friedrich
>
> --
> Problem reports:      https://cygwin.com/problems.html
> FAQ:                  https://cygwin.com/faq/
> Documentation:        https://cygwin.com/docs.html

Russell M. Van Tassell <russellvt@gmail.com>

* Re: virtualenv 20.2.2-1 dependencies: filelock and distlib
@ 2021-08-13 11:38   ` Friedrich Romstedt
From: Friedrich Romstedt @ 2021-08-13 11:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Russell VT; +Cc: cygwin

Hi,

Am Di., 10. Aug. 2021 um 11:30 Uhr schrieb Russell VT <russellvt@gmail.com>:

> Well, it's been a hot minute since I've used virtualenv, by itself... but, generally you're going to want to use "mkvirtualenv" and related tools to create and then access your Python libraries (often under the projects 'venv' directory).Your mileage may vary, trying to invoke it directly from the command line with a module argument.

'mkvirtualenv' is part of the 'virtualenvwrapper' package.
https://virtualenvwrapper.readthedocs.io/en/latest/ says
"virtualenvwrapper is a set of extensions to Ian Bicking’s virtualenv
tool."

> Myself, I tend to like to distance my Python environments from the Operating System version(s)... and I use pyenv with pyenv-virtualenv, and then provided I have a decent compiler environment, you can install Python from distribution (though, full disclosure and in all fairness, I've had a few issues with non-standard directory locations for things like ffi/cffi (IIRC), when compiling newer Python versions (though I've not checked, recently).

'pyenv-virtualenv' (https://github.com/pyenv/pyenv-virtualenv) says
"pyenv-virtualenv is a pyenv plugin that provides features to manage
virtualenvs and conda environments for Python on UNIX-like systems.",
so it looks like if 'pyenv-virtualenv' is *another wrapper more* for
'virtualenv'.

I appreciate this two approaches to making 'virtualenv' more easily
accessible; I did not know about these before.  However, my issue
reported on 9 August 2021 about the basic 'virtualenv' package
('python38-virtualenv' and related in the Cygwin package database)
would not be remedied by using 'virtualenenvwrapper' or
'pyenv-virtualenv'; even more, these pieces of software would suffer
from the same regressions as my direct use of 'virtualenv'.

Notice that as far as I know running '$ python -m virtualenv <....>'
should be, in effect, identical to running '$ virtualenv <...>' with
the same arguments.  The former is useful when, as in my case, the
'virtualenv' script is not as easily accessible as the Python
interpreter 'python'.

I am proposing to just include the dependency of the 'virtualenv'
Cygwin package resp. packages on the Cygwin packages for 'filelock'
and 'distlib'.  I believe this issue hasn't been reported yet because
the Cygwin packages for 'filelock' and 'distlib' easily can be pulled
in by other pieces of software.

So far,
Friedrich