* Cygwin now on Python 3? What about Mercurial?
@ 2021-03-04  8:45 Russell VT
From: Russell VT @ 2021-03-04  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Cygwin Enthusiasts!

Well, I was going to hold back on this one, but having now watched the list
for a bit, I think this is a fair question (feel free to smack me if I'm
feeling too entitled, albeit maybe a bit on the rambling side).

TLDR; Cygwin 64 Mercurial (5.5.1) blows chunks with default Python install.
I'm still not sure if this is a package dependency error, given the recent
Python 2.7 Deprecation "worldwide," or the way that Mercurial is packaged,
or even if the package installation order on-down the line screwed me up at
some point in the past.

TLDR2; Am I really the "only" one on Cygwin still using Mercurial in a
Complex Python Environment?

Here;s my primary operating environment, devoid of whatever tricks I may
try to play with Python Development environments (read: Path to /usr/bin
with no funny stuff getting in the way)
.

Cygwin: CYGWIN_NT-10.0 3.17(0.340/5/3) 2020-08-22 17:48 x86_64
Python: 3.8.7
Python2: 2.7.18
Python3: 3.8.7

$ ls -1 /usr/bin/python[0-9\.]*

/usr/bin/python2@

/usr/bin/python2.7.exe*

/usr/bin/python3@

/usr/bin/python3-config@

/usr/bin/python3.5@

/usr/bin/python3.5m.exe*

/usr/bin/python3.6@

/usr/bin/python3.6-config@

/usr/bin/python3.6m-config*

/usr/bin/python3.6m.exe*

/usr/bin/python3.7@

/usr/bin/python3.7m.exe*

/usr/bin/python3.8-config*

/usr/bin/python3.8.exe*

Now, running mercurial (hg) with no real options, trying to let python just
use the meta version (3.8.7), and it starts to break with JSONDecoder
issues.

ImportError: cannot import name 'JSONDecodeError'

Of course, Mercurial is also *evil*, and embeds annoying pieces of code,
like the following...
 (pretty much making my "fix" necessary - potentially intentional, to make
people fix their mercurial package prior to the end of the year, as well)

    >> libdir = '../lib/python2.7/site-packages'

...and REALLY hates pylint/pyflakes (in case your vim editor hates-on your
non PEP-8 code as much as mine is set to do.

So, with all that in-mind, here is whatt I summarize:

*Fixes and Workarounds:*
Update /etc/alternatives to point at Python2 (Bad Idea! No no no!)
Update Mercurial to specify /usr/bin/python2 to "stay behind" (Well, "it
works")
 . But, I think "the default" is that it should work... which either means
updating Python

So, digging deeper, and correct me if I'm wrong... but iott looks like the
meta version of Python on Cygwin is now at Python3, which is a good thing.
But with Mercurial depending on the meta Python, rather than sticking
themselves on Python2 (since the JSON import blows). So, the current
Mercurial seems to be 5.5.1 on Cygwin x86_64... which is only a short time
behind. But that's pretty easy, right?

Or to channel my BOFH persona (only because it's already the third month
following a long anticipated date), the Python 2 deprecation wasn't loud
enough for everyone? And now we're only two revisions behind (one major and
one bug fix)... though did Mercurial ever "force" Python 3, or at least get
"sensitive" to it?

So, I understand... that's a LONG way to go to ask all of y'all, how do we
fix this thing? Can someone point me at a good reference to being a Cygwin
contributor, to the point that I can actually help move some things along,
like this, rather than bitching to all y'all about getting it fixed? (Read:
Can I compile this myself, and submit it back to chief stakeholders so that
they may publish a new package? I'm "git" and "devops" fluent, though my C
and its close relatives are on the weak-side, these days - one of
the reasons I want good Python environments!)

Cheers!
Russell VT

--
Russell M. Van Tassell <russellvt@gmail.com>

* Re: Cygwin now on Python 3? What about Mercurial?
@ 2021-03-04 11:05 ` marco atzeri
From: marco atzeri @ 2021-03-04 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Mar 4, 2021 at 10:27 AM Russell VT via Cygwin  wrote:

> Cygwin Enthusiasts!
>
> Well, I was going to hold back on this one, but having now watched the list
> for a bit, I think this is a fair question (feel free to smack me if I'm
> feeling too entitled, albeit maybe a bit on the rambling side).
>
> TLDR; Cygwin 64 Mercurial (5.5.1) blows chunks with default Python install.
> I'm still not sure if this is a package dependency error, given the recent
> Python 2.7 Deprecation "worldwide," or the way that Mercurial is packaged,
> or even if the package installation order on-down the line screwed me up at
> some point in the past.
>
> TLDR2; Am I really the "only" one on Cygwin still using Mercurial in a
> Complex Python Environment?
>
> Here;s my primary operating environment, devoid of whatever tricks I may
> try to play with Python Development environments (read: Path to /usr/bin
> with no funny stuff getting in the way)
> .

Hi Russel,

short term solution is the same mentioned here
https://sourceware.org/pipermail/cygwin/2021-January/247657.html

It seems the current package maintainer for Mercurial is not available for
the upgrade from 2.7 to 3.8.
We need to decide how to proceed

Regards
Marco

* Re: Cygwin now on Python 3? What about Mercurial?
@ 2021-03-04 13:30 ` Stephen John Smoogen
From: Stephen John Smoogen @ 2021-03-04 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Russell VT; +Cc: cygwin

On Thu, 4 Mar 2021 at 04:27, Russell VT via Cygwin <cygwin@cygwin.com>
wrote:

> Cygwin Enthusiasts!
>

> So, I understand... that's a LONG way to go to ask all of y'all, how do we
> fix this thing? Can someone point me at a good reference to being a Cygwin
> contributor, to the point that I can actually help move some things along,
> like this, rather than bitching to all y'all about getting it fixed? (Read:
> Can I compile this myself, and submit it back to chief stakeholders so that
> they may publish a new package? I'm "git" and "devops" fluent, though my C
> and its close relatives are on the weak-side, these days - one of
> the reasons I want good Python environments!)

Thanks for the offers for help.

Packages in Cygwin are maintained by volunteers who are usually doing a lot
of other things versus working on Cygwin these days. It does not have much
if any infrastructure to do testing but relies on consumers of the packages
to do so for you.  Things like this happen more when the volunteers who are
doing the work get stretched thin and few people come in to help. Your
offers to help are thus well received

Does https://cygwin.com/packaging-contributors-guide.html help you?

> Cheers!
> Russell VT
>
> --
> Russell M. Van Tassell <russellvt@gmail.com>
> --
> Problem reports:      https://cygwin.com/problems.html
> FAQ:                  https://cygwin.com/faq/
> Documentation:        https://cygwin.com/docs.html

Stephen J Smoogen.

* Re: Cygwin now on Python 3? What about Mercurial?
@ 2021-03-04 15:19   ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2021-03-04 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: Jari Aalto

On 3/4/2021 6:05 AM, marco atzeri via Cygwin wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 4, 2021 at 10:27 AM Russell VT via Cygwin  wrote:
>>
>> Cygwin Enthusiasts!
>>
>> Well, I was going to hold back on this one, but having now watched the list
>> for a bit, I think this is a fair question (feel free to smack me if I'm
>> feeling too entitled, albeit maybe a bit on the rambling side).
>>
>> TLDR; Cygwin 64 Mercurial (5.5.1) blows chunks with default Python install.
>> I'm still not sure if this is a package dependency error, given the recent
>> Python 2.7 Deprecation "worldwide," or the way that Mercurial is packaged,
>> or even if the package installation order on-down the line screwed me up at
>> some point in the past.
>>
>> TLDR2; Am I really the "only" one on Cygwin still using Mercurial in a
>> Complex Python Environment?
>>
>> Here;s my primary operating environment, devoid of whatever tricks I may
>> try to play with Python Development environments (read: Path to /usr/bin
>> with no funny stuff getting in the way)
>> .
>
> Hi Russel,
>
> short term solution is the same mentioned here
> https://sourceware.org/pipermail/cygwin/2021-January/247657.html
>
> It seems the current package maintainer for Mercurial is not available for
> the upgrade from 2.7 to 3.8.
> We need to decide how to proceed

The Mercurial maintainer (Jari) doesn't always follow the mailing list.  I've
added him to the CC.

Ken

* Re: Cygwin now on Python 3? What about Mercurial?
@ 2021-03-04 18:32     ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2021-03-04 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Brown, cygwin; +Cc: Jari Aalto

On 04.03.2021 16:19, Ken Brown via Cygwin wrote:
> On 3/4/2021 6:05 AM, marco atzeri via Cygwin wrote:
>> On Thu, Mar 4, 2021 at 10:27 AM Russell VT via Cygwin  wrote:
>>>
>>> Cygwin Enthusiasts!
>>>
>>> Well, I was going to hold back on this one, but having now watched
>>> the list
>>> for a bit, I think this is a fair question (feel free to smack me if I'm
>>> feeling too entitled, albeit maybe a bit on the rambling side).
>>>
>>> TLDR; Cygwin 64 Mercurial (5.5.1) blows chunks with default Python
>>> install.
>>> I'm still not sure if this is a package dependency error, given the
>>> recent
>>> Python 2.7 Deprecation "worldwide," or the way that Mercurial is
>>> packaged,
>>> or even if the package installation order on-down the line screwed me
>>> up at
>>> some point in the past.
>>>
>>> TLDR2; Am I really the "only" one on Cygwin still using Mercurial in a
>>> Complex Python Environment?
>>>
>>> Here;s my primary operating environment, devoid of whatever tricks I may
>>> try to play with Python Development environments (read: Path to /usr/bin
>>> with no funny stuff getting in the way)
>>> .
>>
>> Hi Russel,
>>
>> short term solution is the same mentioned here
>> https://sourceware.org/pipermail/cygwin/2021-January/247657.html
>>
>> It seems the current package maintainer for Mercurial is not available
>> for
>> the upgrade from 2.7 to 3.8.
>> We need to decide how to proceed
>
> The Mercurial maintainer (Jari) doesn't always follow the mailing list.
> I've added him to the CC.
>
> Ken

Thanks Ken,

I already tried that route on Cygwin-apps
I am afraid he is out of reach, hoping nothing serious happened.

https://sourceware.org/pipermail/cygwin-apps/2021-February/041088.html

REgards
Marco

* Re: Cygwin now on Python 3? What about Mercurial?
@ 2021-03-06 14:45       ` Jari Aalto
From: Jari Aalto @ 2021-03-06 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marco Atzeri; +Cc: Ken Brown, cygwin

On 2021-03-04 19:32, Marco Atzeri wrote:
> On 04.03.2021 16:19, Ken Brown via Cygwin wrote:

> > > Hi Russel,
> > >
> > > short term solution is the same mentioned here
> > > https://sourceware.org/pipermail/cygwin/2021-January/247657.html
> > >
> > > It seems the current package maintainer for Mercurial is not
> > > available for
> > > the upgrade from 2.7 to 3.8.
> > > We need to decide how to proceed
> >
> > The Mercurial maintainer (Jari) doesn't always follow the mailing list.
> > I've added him to the CC.
>
> I already tried that route on Cygwin-apps
> I am afraid he is out of reach, hoping nothing serious happened.
>
> https://sourceware.org/pipermail/cygwin-apps/2021-February/041088.html

I regret for the delay. Busy and some Python 3 problems.

Now uploaded,
Jari

* Re: Cygwin now on Python 3? What about Mercurial?
@ 2021-03-06 14:49         ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2021-03-06 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jari Aalto; +Cc: cygwin

On 06.03.2021 15:45, Jari Aalto wrote:
> On 2021-03-04 19:32, Marco Atzeri wrote:
>>>>>

>>> The Mercurial maintainer (Jari) doesn't always follow the mailing list.
>>> I've added him to the CC.
>>
>> I already tried that route on Cygwin-apps
>> I am afraid he is out of reach, hoping nothing serious happened.
>>
>> https://sourceware.org/pipermail/cygwin-apps/2021-February/041088.html
>
> I regret for the delay. Busy and some Python 3 problems.
>
> Now uploaded,
> Jari

Thanks Jari

Regards
Marco

* Re: Cygwin now on Python 3? What about Mercurial?
@ 2021-03-07  9:32     ` Russell VT
From: Russell VT @ 2021-03-07  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Brown; +Cc: cygwin, Jari Aalto

On Thu, Mar 4, 2021 at 8:39 AM Ken Brown via Cygwin <cygwin@cygwin.com>
wrote:

> On 3/4/2021 6:05 AM, marco atzeri via Cygwin wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 4, 2021 at 10:27 AM Russell VT via Cygwin  wrote:
> >> Cygwin Enthusiasts!
> >
> > It seems the current package maintainer for Mercurial is not available
> for
> > the upgrade from 2.7 to 3.8.
> > We need to decide how to proceed
>
> The Mercurial maintainer (Jari) doesn't always follow the mailing list.
> I've
> added him to the CC.

Thanks Ken!

In the meantime, I'll  take a look at the Package Contributors' Guide, as
was suggested by another... and maybe I can hell fill in some blocks with
some of my own resources.

Cheers!
Russell VT

--

@ 2021-03-07 11:58       ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2021-03-07 11:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 07.03.2021 10:32, Russell VT via Cygwin wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 4, 2021 at 8:39 AM Ken Brown via Cygwin <cygwin@cygwin.com>
> wrote:

>>> It seems the current package maintainer for Mercurial is not available
>> for
>>> the upgrade from 2.7 to 3.8.
>>> We need to decide how to proceed
>>
>> The Mercurial maintainer (Jari) doesn't always follow the mailing list.
>> I've
>> added him to the CC.
>>

> Thanks Ken!
>
> In the meantime, I'll  take a look at the Package Contributors' Guide, as
> was suggested by another... and maybe I can hell fill in some blocks with
> some of my own resources.
>
> Cheers!
> Russell VT

Mercurial has been just updated to version 5.7
https://cygwin.com/packages/summary/mercurial.html

and it now depends on python3.8

Regards
Marco

* Re: Cygwin now on Python 3? What about Mercurial?
@ 2021-03-11 11:57       ` Jari Aalto
From: Jari Aalto @ 2021-03-11 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Russell VT; +Cc: Ken Brown, cygwin

On 2021-03-07 01:32, Russell VT wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 4, 2021 at 8:39 AM Ken Brown via Cygwin <cygwin@cygwin.com>
> wrote:

> > > It seems the current package maintainer for Mercurial is not available
> > for
> > > the upgrade from 2.7 to 3.8.
> > > We need to decide how to proceed
> >
> > The Mercurial maintainer (Jari) doesn't always follow the mailing list.
> > I've
> > added him to the CC.
> >

> Thanks Ken!
>
> In the meantime, I'll  take a look at the Package Contributors' Guide, as
> was suggested by another... and maybe I can hell fill in some blocks with
> some of my own resources.

Mercurial was uploaded few days ago
Jari

* Re: Cygwin now on Python 3? What about Mercurial?
@ 2021-04-02 13:27         ` Oleksandr Gavenko
From: Oleksandr Gavenko @ 2021-04-02 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2021-03-07, Marco Atzeri via Cygwin wrote:

> Mercurial has been just updated to version 5.7
> https://cygwin.com/packages/summary/mercurial.html
>
> and it now depends on python3.8

Just updated:

  $ grep mercurial /var/log/setup.log.full

  Installing file cygfile:///usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/mercurial-5.7-py3.8.egg-info

and had a problem:

  $ hg status

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/hg", line 59, in <module>
    dispatch.run()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/hgdemandimport/demandimportpy2.py", line 157, in __getattr__
    self._load()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/hgdemandimport/demandimportpy2.py", line 97, in _load
    _origimport, head, globals, locals, None, level
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/hgdemandimport/demandimportpy2.py", line 44, in _hgextimport
    return importfunc(name, globals, *args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/mercurial/dispatch.py", line 21, in <module>
    from .i18n import _
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/hgdemandimport/demandimportpy2.py", line 257, in _demandimport
    _origimport, name, globals, locals, level=level
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/hgdemandimport/demandimportpy2.py", line 44, in _hgextimport
    return importfunc(name, globals, *args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/mercurial/i18n.py", line 15, in <module>
    from .pycompat import getattr
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/hgdemandimport/demandimportpy2.py", line 257, in _demandimport
    _origimport, name, globals, locals, level=level
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/hgdemandimport/demandimportpy2.py", line 44, in _hgextimport
    return importfunc(name, globals, *args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/mercurial/pycompat.py", line 38, in <module>
    from .thirdparty.concurrent import futures
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/hgdemandimport/demandimportpy2.py", line 257, in _demandimport
    _origimport, name, globals, locals, level=level
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/hgdemandimport/demandimportpy2.py", line 44, in _hgextimport
    return importfunc(name, globals, *args, **kwargs)
ImportError: No module named concurrent

Fixed with:

  bash# update-alternatives --config python

  There are 3 programs which provide 'python'.

    Selection    Command
   + 1           /usr/bin/python2.7
     2           /usr/bin/python3.6
  *  3           /usr/bin/python3.8

  Enter to keep the current selection[+], or type selection number: 3

That would be avoided (or problem delayed until impacted another utility) if
/usr/bin/hg had shebang /usr/bin/python3 instead of /usr/bin/python.

Thx for stabilizing Mercurial!

--
http://defun.work/