* Re: ntsec and sshd question
@ 2001-04-25  7:52 Karl M
From: Karl M @ 2001-04-25  7:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi Corinna...

I changed the CYGWIN setting and rebooted a couple of times to see...

With 'CYGWIN=ntsec tty' there is an extra process visible (ps -aef).

With 'CYGWIN=ntsec' there is no extra process visible.

I understand the spawning to authenticate eash login, but why does sshd
spawn an extra time?

If it did not spawn an extra time, stopping the srvany service would do the
right thing, ie stopping the sshd daemon.

In the *nix world, you want to run detached, but as a winnt/win2k service,
you do not.

Thanks,

...Karl

>From: Corinna Vinschen <cygwin@cygwin.com>
>To: cygwin@cygwin.com
>Subject: Re: ntsec and sshd question
>Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 09:19:20 +0200
>
>On Tue, Apr 24, 2001 at 11:47:00PM -0700, Karl M wrote:
> > Hi Corinna...
> >
> > But I did not see it before I set 'CYGWIN=ntsec tty'. When I had no
>value
> > set for the CYGWIN variable, I did not see the extra sshd process. Why
>is it
> > different now?
>
>Dunno. Could you try "CYGWIN=nontsec tty" and "CYGWIN=ntsec notty"
>to check which setting raises that behaviour?
>
>Corinna
>
>--
>Corinna Vinschen                  Please, send mails regarding Cygwin to
>Cygwin Developer                                mailto:cygwin@cygwin.com
>Red Hat, Inc.
>
>--

* Re: ntsec and sshd question
@ 2001-04-25  0:19 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2001-04-25  0:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2001-04-24 23:47 Karl M
From: Karl M @ 2001-04-24 23:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi Corinna...

But I did not see it before I set 'CYGWIN=ntsec tty'. When I had no value
set for the CYGWIN variable, I did not see the extra sshd process. Why is it
different now?

Thanks,

...Karl

>From: Corinna Vinschen <cygwin@cygwin.com>
>To: cygwin@cygwin.com
>Subject: Re: ntsec and sshd question
>Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 08:37:48 +0200
>
>On Tue, Apr 24, 2001 at 04:22:03PM -0700, Karl M wrote:
> > Hi All...
> >
> > I just turned on 'CYGWIN=ntsec tty' and set up my file protections to
>make
> > sshd happy (running as a srvany service on win2k sp1).
> >
> > myname@MACHINENAME ~
> > $ ps -aef
> >      UID     PID    PPID TTY     STIME COMMAND
> >   system     652       1   0  15:39:34 /usr/sbin/sshd
> >   system     800       1  -1  15:39:39 /usr/sbin/sshd
> >   myname    1272       1   1  15:41:23 /usr/bin/bash
> >   myname    1104    1272   1  15:41:30 /usr/bin/ps
> >
> > When I rebooted my machine and did a ps, I saw an extra sshd process
>that I
> > did not see before. ssh/sshd appear to work fine. Why is there an extra
>sshd
> > process...is it normal...does anyone else have the same thing happen?
>
>It's normal. It's the parent sshd which has been started by
>SRVANY and which has forked the daemon. It's not needed
>anymore but for some reason SRVANY blocks that the process
>can exit. if you stop the service (`net stop sshd') you
>will see that SRVANY and the first sshd process have exited
>but the daemon itself remains and is fully funtional.
>
>Corinna
>
>--
>Corinna Vinschen                  Please, send mails regarding Cygwin to
>Cygwin Developer                                mailto:cygwin@cygwin.com
>Red Hat, Inc.
>
>--

* Re: ntsec and sshd question
@ 2001-04-24 23:37 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2001-04-24 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Apr 24, 2001 at 04:22:03PM -0700, Karl M wrote:
> Hi All...
>
> I just turned on 'CYGWIN=ntsec tty' and set up my file protections to make
> sshd happy (running as a srvany service on win2k sp1).
>
> myname@MACHINENAME ~
> $ ps -aef
>      UID     PID    PPID TTY     STIME COMMAND
>   system     652       1   0  15:39:34 /usr/sbin/sshd
>   system     800       1  -1  15:39:39 /usr/sbin/sshd
>   myname    1272       1   1  15:41:23 /usr/bin/bash
>   myname    1104    1272   1  15:41:30 /usr/bin/ps
>
> When I rebooted my machine and did a ps, I saw an extra sshd process that I
> did not see before. ssh/sshd appear to work fine. Why is there an extra sshd
> process...is it normal...does anyone else have the same thing happen?

It's normal. It's the parent sshd which has been started by
SRVANY and which has forked the daemon. It's not needed
anymore but for some reason SRVANY blocks that the process
can exit. if you stop the service (`net stop sshd') you
will see that SRVANY and the first sshd process have exited
but the daemon itself remains and is fully funtional.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* ntsec and sshd question
@ 2001-04-24 16:22 Karl M