* (no subject)
@ 1998-11-19 22:52 Sch5750
From: Sch5750 @ 1998-11-19 22:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

>Dear sirs:
>		I recently dowloaded a copy of cygwin B20. When I execute it gives me a
>warning of "cannot find /tmp,please create" I went into the read me file and
>it says to type in 'makdir -p/tmp'  (from command.com) I get an error of
>cannot create file. Am I supposed to be doing this from a dos prompt or from
>the actual bash window. I've tried both and get the same message. Any help
>would be greatly appreciated. I am in the process of trying to learn th "c"
>language and need to figure out how to get the compiler to work.

														Sincerly,
													Fred Schramm
-

* (No Subject)
@ 2023-02-24  2:51 chrstfer
From: chrstfer @ 2023-02-24  2:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi all,

First mail, so while I'm fairly sure it's on topic please forgive me if it isn't.

Has anyone tried to get a docker container with an X app in it to connect to the cygwin x server?

When I run startxwin after starting the wslg container the cygwin Xserver comes in at address (word?) :1 rather than :0, so the two servers can recognize each other (at least to some degree). I can run a cygwin X app in a cygwin console and get an X window, and I can run a wslg app in a wsl bash instance and get an X window, each on their respective servers. But when I set the env DISPLAY in one to the X of the other, it breaks.

This isn't just a stupid ask for a redundant use-case, either. The cygwin X server is vastly superior to the wslg one, at least insofar as integration with the windows 10 chrome; cygwin X windows no matter the library will snap like a regular windows window will. Anything coming out of wslg, at least when it comes to gtk3 (emacs-git) and QT4 (qutebrowser), have no native window decorations and don't snap. I've also been unable to find a way to run a docker container as a single X root window (ie to run a DE inside of a container) but I bet if I could connect to the cygwin X server that'd be fairly straightforward.

I'll be the first to admit I don't know too much about X so is what I'm asking even possible? (I do mainly use linux, but normally X is one of those things that i dont fiddle with much)

UItimately/mostly I'm just fed up of being stuck in Windows windowland at work and not having emacs-git*. At least thats how i landed on this topic, but it seems to me being able to run a docker container and have it hook into a cygwin X server that's already running would be a good feature generally. Especially if it would enable me to disable WSL again.

(*As an aside: while I have gotten it to compile, and it runs in the console, so many tests break that I'm afraid to even try compiling it for gtk3; so a docker container of debian stable seemed a logical next step and i half-expected it to just work, to be honest, given how seamless the rest of my cygwin experience has been recently, and I would put money on these two issues being on docker/docker-desktop/wsl, given how poor wslg's integration is despite being a microsoft project)

Chris B

[parent not found: <3E3A630C.9080803@yahoo.com>]
* <no subject>
@ 2002-06-10  2:21 Thomas Mellman
From: Thomas Mellman @ 2002-06-10  2:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I can't find any reference to syslogd for CYGWIN, although there is a syslog(1).
Isn't this daemon necessary to write a /var/log/messages file?

I ask because I'm still trying to get inetd to work, and I've gotten so far:

   $ telnet $(uname -n)
   Trying xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx ...
   Connected to myhost.domain
   Escape character is '^]'.
   Connection closed by foreign host.

and I wanted to try to enable debugging for telnetd in /etc/inet.conf, but I can't
make out where it might be going to.

--

----------------
Thomas Mellman

* (no subject)
@ 1999-02-24  2:15 Celso Labinaz
From: Celso Labinaz @ 1999-02-24  2:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

subscribe gnu-win32 labinaz@tin.it

* (no subject)
@ 1997-05-22 19:25 Neal Feller
From: Neal Feller @ 1997-05-22 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

I downloaded cdk.exe from the cygnus site and got freecell. Not what I
expected. What happened?

nfeller@ccc.isd.csc.com
-

* (no subject)