* Problem with output from gawk software in recent Cygwin installation
@ 2020-07-27 15:47 Bryan VanSchouwen
From: Bryan VanSchouwen @ 2020-07-27 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello.

I just tried executing an awk script using the most recent version of gawk,
but the output did not turn out the way that it was supposed to.

This script uses the following command to print the output data to the
output file:
print(cai[i], rpi[i], i) >
"Fit_Height_correln_plot_-_cPuMP_vs_2NH2-cPuMP.dat"

and previously, this command always printed the values of the three
variables on a single line, separated by spaces; however, now the gawk
software is automatically adding hard-returns between the values, resulting
in the three values being printed on separate lines within the data file.

What is going on here, and how do I permanently make it stop??

* Re: Problem with output from gawk software in recent Cygwin installation
@ 2020-07-27 16:38 ` Henry S. Thompson
From: Henry S. Thompson @ 2020-07-27 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bryan VanSchouwen; +Cc: cygwin

Bryan VanSchouwen via Cygwin writes:

> I just tried executing an awk script using the most recent version of gawk,
> but the output did not turn out the way that it was supposed to.

> and previously, this command always printed the values of the three
> variables on a single line, separated by spaces; however, now the gawk
> software is automatically adding hard-returns between the values

The script hasn't changed, but before we know it's gawk that's changed,
we need to check that the _input_ hasn't changed.  Can you show us a
sample?

ht
                Fax: (44) 131 650-4587, e-mail: ht@inf.ed.ac.uk

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.

* Re: Problem with output from gawk software in recent Cygwin installation
@ 2020-07-27 16:51 ` Eliot Moss
From: Eliot Moss @ 2020-07-27 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bryan VanSchouwen, cygwin

On 7/27/2020 11:47 AM, Bryan VanSchouwen via Cygwin wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I just tried executing an awk script using the most recent version of gawk,
> but the output did not turn out the way that it was supposed to.
>
> This script uses the following command to print the output data to the
> output file:
> print(cai[i], rpi[i], i) >
> "Fit_Height_correln_plot_-_cPuMP_vs_2NH2-cPuMP.dat"
>
> and previously, this command always printed the values of the three
> variables on a single line, separated by spaces; however, now the gawk
> software is automatically adding hard-returns between the values, resulting
> in the three values being printed on separate lines within the data file.
>
> What is going on here, and how do I permanently make it stop??

Here's a wondering: Could it have to do with line endings?  If Windows
CRLF is getting in there, then the variables might get a CR in them,
which might do weird things.  This assumes those are string variables,
not numeric.

Best - EM

* RE: Problem with output from gawk software in recent Cygwin installation
@ 2020-07-27 17:50   ` Michel LaBarre
From: Michel LaBarre @ 2020-07-27 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: moss, 'Bryan VanSchouwen', cygwin

[Michel LaBarre] Better yet, how about an example using manifest constants
in a one line sample to eliminate impact of arrays or changes in input data
as in:
   gawk 'BEGIN {print(1,2,3)}'
or
  gawk 'BEGIN {print(1,2,3) > "xxx.txt"}'

@ 2020-07-27 20:17     ` Brian Inglis
       [not found]       ` <CAC7Qdh3AEkbX849S+VyDgSm0_WYRaP5d0zT2QOvmWpd3t3PMkQ@mail.gmail.com>
From: Brian Inglis @ 2020-07-27 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2020-07-27 11:50, Michel LaBarre wrote:
>> On July 27, 2020 12:52 PM, Eliot Moss wrote:
>> On 7/27/2020 11:47 AM, Bryan VanSchouwen wrote:

>>> I just tried executing an awk script using the most recent version of
> gawk,
>>> but the output did not turn out the way that it was supposed to.
>>>
>>> This script uses the following command to print the output data to the
>>> output file:
>>> print(cai[i], rpi[i], i) >
>>> "Fit_Height_correln_plot_-_cPuMP_vs_2NH2-cPuMP.dat"
>>>
>>> and previously, this command always printed the values of the three
>>> variables on a single line, separated by spaces; however, now the gawk
>>> software is automatically adding hard-returns between the values,
> resulting
>>> in the three values being printed on separate lines within the data
> file.
>>>
>>> What is going on here, and how do I permanently make it stop??

>> Here's a wondering: Could it have to do with line endings?  If Windows
>> CRLF is getting in there, then the variables might get a CR in them,
>> which might do weird things.  This assumes those are string variables,
>> not numeric.

> Better yet, how about an example using manifest constants
> in a one line sample to eliminate impact of arrays or changes in input data
> as in:
>    gawk 'BEGIN {print(1,2,3)}'
> or
>   gawk 'BEGIN {print(1,2,3) > "xxx.txt"}'

No problem with awk or gawk:

$ for ((i = 0; i < 10; ++i))
  do
    printf "%d %d %d %d\n" $((i+1)) $((i+2)) $((i+3)) $((i+4))
  done > test.txt
$ awk '{print($1, $2, $3)}' test.txt
1 2 3
2 3 4
3 4 5
4 5 6
5 6 7
6 7 8
7 8 9
8 9 10
9 10 11
10 11 12

So the issue appears to be with your command line, script, or input data file:
please show the command line used to execute the script, attach the complete awk
script, and input data file for diagnosis, or selections of the latter piped
through or output using cat -A to show control characters.

[Data in IEC units and prefixes, physical quantities in SI.]

@ 2020-07-28  4:05         ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2020-07-28  4:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2020-07-27 15:58, Bryan VanSchouwen wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 27, 2020 at 4:20 PM Brian Inglis wrote:

>>> Here's a wondering: Could it have to do with line endings?  If Windows
>>> CRLF is getting in there, then the variables might get a CR in them,
>>> which might do weird things.  This assumes those are string variables,
>>> not numeric.

>> Better yet, how about an example using manifest constants in a one line
>> sample to eliminate impact of arrays or changes in input data as in: gawk
>> 'BEGIN {print(1,2,3)}' or gawk 'BEGIN {print(1,2,3) > "xxx.txt"}'>
> No problem with awk or gawk:
> $ for ((i = 0; i < 10; ++i))
>   do
>     printf "%d %d %d %d\n" $((i+1)) $((i+2)) $((i+3)) $((i+4))
>   done > test.txt
> $ awk '{print($1, $2, $3)}' test.txt
>     1 2 3
>     2 3 4
>     3 4 5
>     4 5 6
>     5 6 7
>     6 7 8
>     7 8 9
>     8 9 10
>     9 10 11
>     10 11 12
> So the issue appears to be with your command line, script, or input data
> file: please show the command line used to execute the script, attach the
> complete awk script, and input data file for diagnosis, or selections of the
> latter piped through or output using cat -A to show control characters.
> Here they are (attached). The script was executed with the following
> command:> gawk -f peak_intensity_correln_plot_compile.awk
Input files have <CR><LF> \r\n <ctrl-M><ctrl-J> line terminators and those are
carried thru at the ends of the string fields:

$ gawk -f peak_intensity_correln_plot_compile.awk
$ file *cPuMP*.dat
2NH2-cPuMP_nh_-_pk_Fit_Height_data.dat:            ASCII text, with CRLF line
terminators
cPuMP_nh_-_pk_Fit_Height_data.dat:                 ASCII text, with CRLF line
terminators
Fit_Height_correln_plot_-_cPuMP_vs_2NH2-cPuMP.dat: ASCII text, with CR, LF line
terminators
$ cat -A Fit_Height_correln_plot_-_cPuMP_vs_2NH2-cPuMP.dat | head
1571697^M 1716833^M 224$
2672863^M 2894992^M 225$
2184902^M 9710015^M 226$
4393362^M 4095908^M 227$
3828609^M 4218978^M 229$
6285045^M 4008320^M 233$
3936959^M 4104667^M 234$
1698322^M 1942553^M 237$
4144791^M 4346435^M 238$
2546328^M 2804338^M 239$

You could change your input line terminators to "\r\n" e.g. option -vRS="\r\n",
insert '{ sub( /\r$/, ""); before each 'split(x, s, " ")', convert your input
fields from strings to numbers by adding zero i.e. cai[i] += 0; rpi[i] += 0; or
use belts, braces, and suspenders with all three, e.g.

$ gawk -vRS="\r\n" -f peak_intensity_correln_plot_compile.awk
$ file *cPuMP*.dat
2NH2-cPuMP_nh_-_pk_Fit_Height_data.dat:            ASCII text, with CRLF line
terminators
cPuMP_nh_-_pk_Fit_Height_data.dat:                 ASCII text, with CRLF line
terminators
Fit_Height_correln_plot_-_cPuMP_vs_2NH2-cPuMP.dat: ASCII text
$ cat -A Fit_Height_correln_plot_-_cPuMP_vs_2NH2-cPuMP.dat | head
1571697 1716833 224$
2672863 2894992 225$
2184902 9710015 226$
4393362 4095908 227$
3828609 4218978 229$
6285045 4008320 233$
3936959 4104667 234$
1698322 1942553 237$
4144791 4346435 238$
2546328 2804338 239$

@ 2020-07-28 15:32           ` Bryan VanSchouwen
From: Bryan VanSchouwen @ 2020-07-28 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Just out of curiosity: Could this "<CR><LF>" issue be something new for
Windows 10?  I ask because I don't recall having this issue with my old
Windows 7 computer.

Bryan

@ 2020-07-28 17:08             ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2020-07-28 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2020-07-28 09:32, Bryan VanSchouwen via Cygwin wrote:
> [...]
>> line
>> terminators
>> cPuMP_nh_-_pk_Fit_Height_data.dat:                 ASCII text, with CRLF
>> line
>> terminators
>> Fit_Height_correln_plot_-_cPuMP_vs_2NH2-cPuMP.dat: ASCII text
>> $ cat -A Fit_Height_correln_plot_-_cPuMP_vs_2NH2-cPuMP.dat | head
>> 1571697 1716833 224$
>> 2672863 2894992 225$
>> 2184902 9710015 226$
>> 4393362 4095908 227$
>> 3828609 4218978 229$
>> 6285045 4008320 233$
>> 3936959 4104667 234$
>> 1698322 1942553 237$
>> 4144791 4346435 238$
>> 2546328 2804338 239$

> Just out of curiosity: Could this "<CR><LF>" issue be something new for
> Windows 10? I ask because I don't recall having this issue with my old
If you had over 3 year old Cygwin packages on your Windows 7 system, as
changes for POSIX compatibility were made in the builds for test releases of
gawk, grep, sed coordinated and announced together in:

	https://cygwin.com/legacy-ml/cygwin/2017-02/threads.html#00152

Perhaps the issue is in whatever generated/s the files, or whatever you had
installed and in your path on Windows 7. Msys and Mingw versions of gawk may
ignore extra <CR>s on input, and may possibly also be included with Git for
Windows, or other Windows Unix-like packages.

[Data in IEC units and prefixes, physical quantities in SI.]