* Fork errors
@ 2023-09-06 18:51 Dale Lobb
From: Dale Lobb @ 2023-09-06 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tryandbuy via Cygwin

  Since upgrading to the latest version of Cygwin a few weeks ago on a server I manage, I've been experiencing an issue with fork errors.  The Cygwin installation had not been updated for almost a year before that.

  The issue happens every time a script is invoked that purges files from some temporary directories, but never in the same place in the script.  The script uses multiple calls to find -exec to remove files over 10 days old from the directories.  Here is a typical error.  Sometime the issue will assert after just a  few tens of files deleted, sometimes after hundreds or thousands of files have been deleted:

    removed '/cygdrive/d/.../obfuscated.datedata.txt'
          1 [main] find 20066 dofork: child -1 - forked process 4068 died unexpectedly, retry 0, exit code 0xC0000142, errno 11
          find: cannot fork: Resource temporarily unavailable

  It also happens randomly at other times.  I've seen the bash shell itself fail on the invocation of a mintty.  I've seen it happen on all sorts of interactive commands entered from bash.

  Today, as a test, I updated all the installed Cygwin components.  One of the post installation scripts failed, so I re-exec'd it:

    $ ./postinstall/0p_update-info-dir.dash
    Rebuilding info directory
        2 [main] dash 2059 dofork: child -1 - forked process 7676 died unexpectedly, retry 0, exit code 0xC0000142, errno 11
        ./postinstall/0p_update-info-dir.dash: 22: Cannot fork

  A second re-exec then worked fine.

  I've tried reinstalling all the components, and I've tried rebaseall.

  Is there anything else I can try, or troubleshooting steps to take?

Best Regards,

Dale

________________________________

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipients and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

* RE: Fork errors
@ 2023-09-06 21:00 ` Jose Isaias Cabrera
From: Jose Isaias Cabrera @ 2023-09-06 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dale Lobb, tryandbuy via Cygwin

On September 6, 2023 2:52 PM, Dale Lobb expressed:

> Since upgrading to the latest version of Cygwin a few weeks ago on a
> server I manage, I've been experiencing an issue with fork errors.
> The Cygwin installation had not been updated for almost a year
> before that.
>
> The issue happens every time a script is invoked that purges files
> from some temporary directories, but never in the same place in the
> script.  The script uses multiple calls to find -exec to remove
> files over 10 days old from the directories.  Here is a typical
> error.  Sometime the issue will assert after just a  few tens of
> files deleted, sometimes after hundreds or thousands of files have
> been deleted:
>
> removed '/cygdrive/d/.../obfuscated.datedata.txt'
> 1 [main] find 20066 dofork: child -1 - forked process 4068 died
> unexpectedly, retry 0, exit code 0xC0000142, errno 11
> find: cannot fork: Resource temporarily unavailable
>
> It also happens randomly at other times.  I've seen the bash shell
> itself fail on the invocation of a mintty.  I've seen it happen on
> all sorts of interactive commands entered from bash.
>
> Today, as a test, I updated all the installed Cygwin components.
> One of the post installation scripts failed, so I re-exec'd it:
>
> $ ./postinstall/0p_update-info-dir.dash
> Rebuilding info directory
> 2 [main] dash 2059 dofork: child -1 - forked process 7676 died
> unexpectedly, retry 0, exit code 0xC0000142, errno 11
> ./postinstall/0p_update-info-dir.dash: 22: Cannot fork
>
> A second re-exec then worked fine.
>
> I've tried reinstalling all the components, and I've tried
> rebaseall.
>
> Is there anything else I can try, or troubleshooting steps to
> take?
>
> Best Regards,

Take a look at this:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/36399041/cygwin-update-cause-error-could-not-fork-child-process-resource-temporarily-u

it may not help, but it's something to look into.

* RE: Fork errors
@ 2023-09-06 21:03   ` Jose Isaias Cabrera
From: Jose Isaias Cabrera @ 2023-09-06 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jose Isaias Cabrera, Dale Lobb, tryandbuy via Cygwin

On September 6, 2023 5:01 PM, Jose Isaias Cabrera expressed:

> On September 6, 2023 2:52 PM, Dale Lobb expressed:
> >
> > Since upgrading to the latest version of Cygwin a few weeks ago on a
> > server I manage, I've been experiencing an issue with fork errors.
> > The Cygwin installation had not been updated for almost a year before
> > that.
> >
> > The issue happens every time a script is invoked that purges files
> > from some temporary directories, but never in the same place in the
> > script.  The script uses multiple calls to find -exec to remove files
> > over 10 days old from the directories.  Here is a typical error.
> > Sometime the issue will assert after just a  few tens of files
> > deleted, sometimes after hundreds or thousands of files have been
> > deleted:
> >
> > removed '/cygdrive/d/.../obfuscated.datedata.txt'
> > 1 [main] find 20066 dofork: child -1 - forked process 4068 died
> > unexpectedly, retry 0, exit code 0xC0000142, errno 11
> > find: cannot fork: Resource temporarily unavailable
> >
> > It also happens randomly at other times.  I've seen the bash shell
> > itself fail on the invocation of a mintty.  I've seen it happen on all
> > sorts of interactive commands entered from bash.
> >
> > Today, as a test, I updated all the installed Cygwin components.
> > One of the post installation scripts failed, so I re-exec'd it:
> >
> > $ ./postinstall/0p_update-info-dir.dash
> > Rebuilding info directory
> > 2 [main] dash 2059 dofork: child -1 - forked process 7676 died
> > unexpectedly, retry 0, exit code 0xC0000142, errno 11
> > ./postinstall/0p_update-info-dir.dash: 22: Cannot fork
> >
> > A second re-exec then worked fine.
> >
> > I've tried reinstalling all the components, and I've tried rebaseall.
> >
> > Is there anything else I can try, or troubleshooting steps to take?
> >
> > Best Regards,
>
> Take a look at this:

Also, there are a bunch of hits on duckduckgo:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=++++++++++find%3A+cannot+fork%3A+Resource+temporarily+unavailable+cygwin

* Re: Fork errors
@ 2023-09-06 23:32 ` Mark Geisert
From: Mark Geisert @ 2023-09-06 23:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dale Lobb via Cygwin wrote:
>    Since upgrading to the latest version of Cygwin a few weeks ago on a server I manage, I've been experiencing an issue with fork errors.  The Cygwin installation had not been updated for almost a year before that.
>
>    The issue happens every time a script is invoked that purges files from some temporary directories, but never in the same place in the script.  The script uses multiple calls to find -exec to remove files over 10 days old from the directories.  Here is a typical error.  Sometime the issue will assert after just a  few tens of files deleted, sometimes after hundreds or thousands of files have been deleted:
>
>      removed '/cygdrive/d/.../obfuscated.datedata.txt'
>            1 [main] find 20066 dofork: child -1 - forked process 4068 died unexpectedly, retry 0, exit code 0xC0000142, errno 11
>            find: cannot fork: Resource temporarily unavailable
>
>    It also happens randomly at other times.  I've seen the bash shell itself fail on the invocation of a mintty.  I've seen it happen on all sorts of interactive commands entered from bash.
>
>    Today, as a test, I updated all the installed Cygwin components.  One of the post installation scripts failed, so I re-exec'd it:
>
>      $ ./postinstall/0p_update-info-dir.dash
>      Rebuilding info directory
>          2 [main] dash 2059 dofork: child -1 - forked process 7676 died unexpectedly, retry 0, exit code 0xC0000142, errno 11
>          ./postinstall/0p_update-info-dir.dash: 22: Cannot fork
>
>    A second re-exec then worked fine.
>
>    I've tried reinstalling all the components, and I've tried rebaseall.
>
>    Is there anything else I can try, or troubleshooting steps to take?

Try the FAQ, specifically
https://cygwin.com/faq.html#faq.using.fixing-fork-failures

Pay attention to the subtleties of running rebaseall, e.g. make sure no Cygwin
processes (background server processes or whatnot) are running.  When the FAQ gets
to talking about running setup.exe for this situation, it means close any open
Cygwin shell windows and manually run the Cygwin Setup program, just taking its
defaults all the way through; you needn't install anything it suggests at this
time.  The object is to get to Setup's end where it runs a full rebase.

Speculation: The specific exit code 0xC0000142 may or may not have something to do
with Windows error 142, which is ERROR_BUSY_DRIVE.  I cannot help further on this.

..mark

> ________________________________
>
> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipients and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

P.S. You've sent your post to a public mailing list so the above notice does not
apply.  Obfuscate your system particulars if that's a problem.

* Re: Fork errors
@ 2023-09-07 15:20   ` Bill Stewart
From: Bill Stewart @ 2023-09-07 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, Sep 6, 2023 at 5:32 PM Mark Geisert wrote:

Speculation: The specific exit code 0xC0000142 may or may not have
> something to do
> with Windows error 142, which is ERROR_BUSY_DRIVE.  I cannot help further
> on this.

Correction: The low word of 0xC0000142 = hex 142 = decimal 322 =
ERROR_DEVICE_NO_RESOURCES ("The target device has insufficient resources to
complete the operation").

Bill

* Re: Fork errors
@ 2023-09-08  5:02     ` Mark Geisert
From: Mark Geisert @ 2023-09-08  5:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Bill Stewart via Cygwin wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 6, 2023 at 5:32 PM Mark Geisert wrote:
> Speculation: The specific exit code 0xC0000142 may or may not have
>> something to do
>> with Windows error 142, which is ERROR_BUSY_DRIVE.  I cannot help further
>> on this.
>
> Correction: The low word of 0xC0000142 = hex 142 = decimal 322 =
> ERROR_DEVICE_NO_RESOURCES ("The target device has insufficient resources to
> complete the operation").

D'oh! Tnx for correction.

..mark

* RE: EXTERNAL SENDER: RE: Fork errors
@ 2023-09-08 21:30   ` Dale Lobb
From: Dale Lobb @ 2023-09-08 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
> On September 6, 2023 2:52 PM, Dale Lobb expressed:
> >
> > Since upgrading to the latest version of Cygwin a few weeks ago on a
> > server I manage, I've been experiencing an issue with fork errors.
> > The Cygwin installation had not been updated for almost a year
> > before that.
> >
> > The issue happens every time a script is invoked that purges files
> > from some temporary directories, but never in the same place in the
> > script.  The script uses multiple calls to find -exec to remove
> > files over 10 days old from the directories.  Here is a typical
> > error.  Sometime the issue will assert after just a  few tens of
> > files deleted, sometimes after hundreds or thousands of files have
> > been deleted:
> >
> > removed '/cygdrive/d/.../obfuscated.datedata.txt'
> > 1 [main] find 20066 dofork: child -1 - forked process 4068 died
> > unexpectedly, retry 0, exit code 0xC0000142, errno 11
> > find: cannot fork: Resource temporarily unavailable
> >
> > It also happens randomly at other times.  I've seen the bash shell
> > itself fail on the invocation of a mintty.  I've seen it happen on
> > all sorts of interactive commands entered from bash.
> >
> > Today, as a test, I updated all the installed Cygwin components.
> > One of the post installation scripts failed, so I re-exec'd it:
> >
> > $ ./postinstall/0p_update-info-dir.dash
> > Rebuilding info directory
> > 2 [main] dash 2059 dofork: child -1 - forked process 7676 died
> > unexpectedly, retry 0, exit code 0xC0000142, errno 11
> > ./postinstall/0p_update-info-dir.dash: 22: Cannot fork
> >
> > A second re-exec then worked fine.
> >
> > I've tried reinstalling all the components, and I've tried
> > rebaseall.
> >
> > Is there anything else I can try, or troubleshooting steps to
> > take?
> >
> > Best Regards,
>
> Take a look at this:
>
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/36399041/cygwin-update-cause-error-could-not-fork-child-process-resource-temporarily-u
>
> it may not help, but it's something to look into.

> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message, including any attachments,
> is for the sole use of the intended recipients and may contain confidential
> and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or
> message.

Hello Jose,

  Thank you for the reply.

  I read through the Stack Overflow post.  Unfortunately, Windows Server
2016 is based on an early version of Windows 10, which does not have the
"Windows Defender Security Center" app.  Only 2019 and later versions have
that feature.

  I did find this article and used the group policy editor to disable ASLR for
several Cygwin executables (ash, bash, find, rm), but that didn't make any
difference.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/threat-protection/override-mitigation-options-for-app-related-security-policies

Best Regards,

Dale Lobb

________________________________

@ 2023-09-08 21:35     ` Dale Lobb
From: Dale Lobb @ 2023-09-08 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
> On September 6, 2023 5:01 PM, Jose Isaias Cabrera expressed:
> >

> > On September 6, 2023 2:52 PM, Dale Lobb expressed:
> > >
> > > Since upgrading to the latest version of Cygwin a few weeks ago on a
> > > server I manage, I've been experiencing an issue with fork errors.
> > > The Cygwin installation had not been updated for almost a year before
> > > that.
> > >
> > > The issue happens every time a script is invoked that purges files
> > > from some temporary directories, but never in the same place in the
> > > script.  The script uses multiple calls to find -exec to remove files
> > > over 10 days old from the directories.  Here is a typical error.
> > > Sometime the issue will assert after just a  few tens of files
> > > deleted, sometimes after hundreds or thousands of files have been
> > > deleted:
> > >
> > > removed '/cygdrive/d/.../obfuscated.datedata.txt'
> > > 1 [main] find 20066 dofork: child -1 - forked process 4068 died
> > > unexpectedly, retry 0, exit code 0xC0000142, errno 11
> > > find: cannot fork: Resource temporarily unavailable
> > >
> > > It also happens randomly at other times.  I've seen the bash shell
> > > itself fail on the invocation of a mintty.  I've seen it happen on all
> > > sorts of interactive commands entered from bash.
> > >
> > > Today, as a test, I updated all the installed Cygwin components.
> > > One of the post installation scripts failed, so I re-exec'd it:
> > >
> > > $ ./postinstall/0p_update-info-dir.dash
> > > Rebuilding info directory
> > > 2 [main] dash 2059 dofork: child -1 - forked process 7676 died
> > > unexpectedly, retry 0, exit code 0xC0000142, errno 11
> > > ./postinstall/0p_update-info-dir.dash: 22: Cannot fork
> > >
> > > A second re-exec then worked fine.
> > >
> > > I've tried reinstalling all the components, and I've tried rebaseall.
> > >
> > > Is there anything else I can try, or troubleshooting steps to take?
> > >
> > > Best Regards,
> >
> > Take a look at this:
>
> Also, there are a bunch of hits on duckduckgo:
>
> https://duckduckgo.com/?q=++++++++++find%3A+cannot+fork%3A+Resource+temporarily+unavailable+cygwin&ia=web

> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message, including any attachments,
> is for the sole use of the intended recipients and may contain confidential
> and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or
> message.

  Yep, read through most of those already.  Many are from a very long time
ago, when Cygwin was still 32 bit and seem to have little utility in the 64 bit
world where ASLR is on in Windows by default for 64 bit images.

  Thanks, though!

Best Regards,

Dale Lobb

________________________________

@ 2023-09-08 22:02   ` Dale Lobb
From: Dale Lobb @ 2023-09-08 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Mark, thanks for the reply!

  I ran though the rebase-trigger process as outlined in the FAQ.
Unfortunately,  there was no difference afterwards.

  One good thing about reading the FAQ, it lead me to
"/usr/share/doc/rebase/README" which has the parameters for the
rebaseall command.  I'm thinking about running rebaseall manually with a
different base address than the default (0x70000000).

Best Regards,

Dale Lobb

________________________________

@ 2023-09-09  7:26     ` Mark Geisert
From: Mark Geisert @ 2023-09-09  7:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Dale,
Something appears to be adding cruft to your outgoing emails.. links to
urldefense.com that don't work (from outside your workplace maybe) and clutter up
the Cygwin email archives.  Can you turn that off somehow?  More below...

Dale Lobb via Cygwin wrote:
> [...]

Example #1 of added cruft above.  Something appears to be rewriting URLs for "safety".

>> Pay attention to the subtleties of running rebaseall, e.g. make sure no Cygwin
>> processes (background server processes or whatnot) are running.  When the
>> FAQ gets
>> to talking about running setup.exe for this situation, it means close any open
>> Cygwin shell windows and manually run the Cygwin Setup program, just
>> taking its
>> defaults all the way through; you needn't install anything it suggests at this
>> time.  The object is to get to Setup's end where it runs a full rebase.
>>
>> Speculation: The specific exit code 0xC0000142 may or may not have
>> something to do
>> with Windows error 142, which is ERROR_BUSY_DRIVE.  I cannot help further
>> on this.

As corrected by another poster, it's hex 142 == decimal 322 ==
ERROR_DEVICE_NO_RESOURCES.

>> ..mark
>>
>>> ________________________________
>>>
>>> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message, including any attachments,
>> is for the sole use of the intended recipients and may contain confidential
>> and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or
>> distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please
>> contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original
>> message.
>>
>> P.S. You've sent your post to a public mailing list so the above notice does not
>> apply.  Obfuscate your system particulars if that's a problem.

Can you eliminate this confidentiality notice from your emails to the Cygwin
mailing list?

>> --
>> Problem reports:
>> https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://cygwin.com/problems.html__;!!PI4dZu
>> VR!iMEVdwUomDN3L1KOsOWkDMmUhiuXarkAyjI6itT-
>> BSJ5bcjg65VVWHdP7U5Ny2VaBilIz9R3o_fDJhhS$
>> FAQ:
>> https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://cygwin.com/faq/__;!!PI4dZuVR!iMEVd
>> wUomDN3L1KOsOWkDMmUhiuXarkAyjI6itT-
>> BSJ5bcjg65VVWHdP7U5Ny2VaBilIz9R3o5GKnVUD$
>> Documentation:
>> https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://cygwin.com/docs.html__;!!PI4dZuVR!i
>> MEVdwUomDN3L1KOsOWkDMmUhiuXarkAyjI6itT-
>> BSJ5bcjg65VVWHdP7U5Ny2VaBilIz9R3o2A6MIc4$
>> Unsubscribe info:
>> simple__;Iw!!PI4dZuVR!iMEVdwUomDN3L1KOsOWkDMmUhiuXarkAyjI6itT-
>> BSJ5bcjg65VVWHdP7U5Ny2VaBilIz9R3o4OJCuT7$

Examples #2-#5 of added cruft above.

> Hi Mark, thanks for the reply!
>
>    I ran though the rebase-trigger process as outlined in the FAQ.
> Unfortunately,  there was no difference afterwards.
>
>    One good thing about reading the FAQ, it lead me to
> "/usr/share/doc/rebase/README" which has the parameters for the
> rebaseall command.  I'm thinking about running rebaseall manually with a
> different base address than the default (0x70000000).

You could certainly try that but I don't expect an improvement.  The most frequent
fork error reports are about child DLLs not being loaded at the same address they
had in the parent.  In those cases, yes, a different rebase "base" might help.

 From your reports it appears to be a different failure mode: the child sometimes
raises an exception and dies.  The exception code (exit code) seems to be the same
every time 0xC0000142; is that true?

If you're up for it, you could try to find an STC (Simple Test Case) that more
often than not reproduces the fork error.  Then run that STC under strace.  'man
strace' for more info.  If you get the fork error, take a look at the strace
output file and try to locate that exception code 0xC0000142.  Look at the lines
leading up to that and see if anything interesting appears.

You might think about posting the strace output, IF IT IS NOT TOO BIG, to the
Cygwin mailing list as an attachment.  The reason for minimizing is that it keeps
searches of the mailing list archives more robust.
HTH,

..mark

* Re: fork errors
@ 2018-04-04  5:28       ` Simon Matthews
From: Simon Matthews @ 2018-04-04  5:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

To clarify, I don't see the fork errors in the Son-Of-Grid Engine
(SOGE) process. Separately, we have a script that connects to the box
via ssh under cygwin and runs a lot of Make,  bash and perl scripts
and calls Windows executables. It's these scripts that are giving the
fork errors. The intent is to replace the ssh, Make and scripts with a
simpler set of scripts and processes controlled via the Gridengine.

Simon

On Tue, Apr 3, 2018 at 8:06 PM, Simon Matthews
<simon.d.matthews@gmail.com> wrote:
> Jurgen,
>
> No anti-virus at all on this machine.
>
> The daemon is Son-of-Grid Engine execd.
>
> It waits for instructions to run scripts from the qmaster.
>
> Simon
>
> On Tue, Apr 3, 2018 at 2:12 PM, Jürgen Wagner <juergen@wagner.is> wrote:
>> Simon,
>>   chances are this has nothing to do with rebasing but rather with the
>> anti-virus product on your system.
>> Do you happen to use Comodo CIS? Without proper configuration, Cygwin
>> will show such fork fails in some situations.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> --J.

* Re: fork errors
@ 2018-04-04  3:06     ` Simon Matthews
From: Simon Matthews @ 2018-04-04  3:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Jurgen,

No anti-virus at all on this machine.

The daemon is Son-of-Grid Engine execd.

It waits for instructions to run scripts from the qmaster.

Simon

On Tue, Apr 3, 2018 at 2:12 PM, Jürgen Wagner <juergen@wagner.is> wrote:
> Simon,
>   chances are this has nothing to do with rebasing but rather with the
> anti-virus product on your system.
> Do you happen to use Comodo CIS? Without proper configuration, Cygwin
> will show such fork fails in some situations.
>
> Cheers,
> --J.
>
> On 03/04/2018 17:20, Simon Matthews wrote:
>>> I have been seeing a large number of error messages like this:
>>> 2 [main] bash 8652 fork: child -1 - forked process 7532 died
>>> unexpectedly, retry 0, exit code 0xC0000005, errno 11
>>> 2 [main] bash 8652 fork: child -1 - forked process 7532 died
>>> unexpectedly, retry 0, exit code 0xC0000005, errno 11
>>>
>>> [...]

* Re: fork errors
@ 2018-04-03 23:09 ` Tatsuro MATSUOKA
From: Tatsuro MATSUOKA @ 2018-04-03 23:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon Matthews, cygwin

From: Jürgen Wagner @ 2018-04-03 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Simon,
  chances are this has nothing to do with rebasing but rather with the
anti-virus product on your system.
Do you happen to use Comodo CIS? Without proper configuration, Cygwin
will show such fork fails in some situations.

Cheers,
--J.

On 03/04/2018 17:20, Simon Matthews wrote:
>> I have been seeing a large number of error messages like this:
>> 2 [main] bash 8652 fork: child -1 - forked process 7532 died
>> unexpectedly, retry 0, exit code 0xC0000005, errno 11
>> 2 [main] bash 8652 fork: child -1 - forked process 7532 died
>> unexpectedly, retry 0, exit code 0xC0000005, errno 11
>>
>> [...]

* Re: fork errors
@ 2018-04-03 20:40 ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2018-04-03 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 03/04/2018 17:20, Simon Matthews wrote:
> I have been seeing a large number of error messages like this:
> 2 [main] bash 8652 fork: child -1 - forked process 7532 died
> unexpectedly, retry 0, exit code 0xC0000005, errno 11
> 2 [main] bash 8652 fork: child -1 - forked process 7532 died
> unexpectedly, retry 0, exit code 0xC0000005, errno 11
>
> I followed the instruction to run "rebaseall" and this appears to have
> worked properly.
>
> I suspect that the cause is that I am running a daemon that I compiled
> myself on a different instance of cygwin and then copied across. This
> daemon is not in the normal /usr tree.
>
> Should I rebase the binaries associated with this daemon and, if so,
> how do I do this?
>
> Simon

Simon,
copied across what ?
Rebase is only for shared libraries; how is your demon implemented ?

Regards
Marco

* fork errors
@ 2018-04-03 15:20 Simon Matthews
From: Simon Matthews @ 2018-04-03 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2000-04-07  5:28 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2000-04-07  5:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ron Huber, cygwin

This appears to be a setup problem to me.  Paste the output of `cygcheck -b -r
-s' in a mail.

Earnie.

--- Ron Huber <rhuber@sd.inri.com> wrote:
> Thanks Larry for the response,
>
> Reviewed the mailing list.  Did not see any answers.
>
> We are using Cygwin B20 12/1/98.  What is the later and greater?
> How do I get patches?  Costs?  Can I get a demo to verify that
> indead this will fix the problem?
>
> Have a snap shot of the log below:
> MagVar.cpp
> ________ cd dll';' make vlibs
> __________ cd Loader';' make vlibs
> 	sh F:\ICSF_nightly\ICSFBuild/VMKDEV/etc/mkdirhier
> F:\ICSF_nightly\ICSFBuild\Windows_NT.4.0/JMV\obj\libLoadMagVar
> F:\ICSF_nightly\ICSFBuild/VMKDEV/etc/mkdirhier: Cannot fork
> NMAKE : fatal
> error U1077: 'sh' : return code '0x2'
> Stop.
> NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'vmake' : return code '0x2'
> Stop.
> NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'vmake' : return code '0x2'
> Stop.
> NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'vmake' : return code '0x2'
> Stop.
> NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'vmake' : return code '0x2'
> Stop.
> NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'vmake' : return code '0x2'
> Stop.
> Watching the Task Manager there seems to be plenty of memory and CPU power.
>
> We also defrag prior to the checkout/build.
>
> The weird thing about this is not everyone building on NT
> gets these fork errors.  Could it be another process
> running at the same time?
>

> More ideas?  Thanks
>

> --

* Re: fork errors
@ 2000-04-06 14:28 Ron Huber
From: Ron Huber @ 2000-04-06 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2000-04-06 13:32 Ron Huber
From: Ron Huber @ 2000-04-06 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

I'm using sh to run scripts to compile and build C, C++, and
Java source code on a NT 4.0.  In the last month or so, I have been
getting these fork errors and the build process aborts.
Rebooting and individually running the series of scripts works.
Any idea on the cause?