* terminfo packaging glitch?
@ 2021-11-18  7:53 Fergus Daly
From: Fergus Daly @ 2021-11-18  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'; +Cc: Fergus Daly

Does this:
$ ls  /usr/share/terminfo/terminfo
lrwxrwxrwx  /usr/share/terminfo/terminfo -> /usr/share/terminfo/
serve a purpose, or supply a workaround .. or .. is it a packaging glitch?
(Only in Cygwin64, not Cygwin32.)

* Re: terminfo packaging glitch?
@ 2021-11-18 13:33 ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2021-11-18 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2021-11-18 00:53, Fergus Daly via Cygwin wrote:
> Does this:
> $ ls  /usr/share/terminfo/terminfo
> lrwxrwxrwx  /usr/share/terminfo/terminfo -> /usr/share/terminfo/
> serve a purpose, or supply a workaround .. or .. is it a packaging glitch?
> (Only in Cygwin64, not Cygwin32.)

Do you have the current versions 6.1-1.20190727 of terminfo/-extra (and
other Cygwin packages) installed?

I can't find anything anywhere on my system or the web suggesting a
source for that. Something you or some script did on your system?

How did you find the links in your 2014 "Missing links" post: from
cygcheck -c|-s? What were the associated packages?

	https://cygwin.com/legacy-ml/cygwin/2014-07/msg00289.html

* Re: terminfo packaging glitch?
@ 2021-11-18 15:45 ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2021-11-18 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fergus Daly, cygwin

Greetings, Fergus Daly!

> Does this:
> $ ls  /usr/share/terminfo/terminfo
> lrwxrwxrwx  /usr/share/terminfo/terminfo -> /usr/share/terminfo/
> serve a purpose, or supply a workaround .. or .. is it a packaging glitch?
> (Only in Cygwin64, not Cygwin32.)

$ ls -ld /usr/share/terminfo/terminfo
ls: cannot access '/usr/share/terminfo/terminfo': No such file or directory

None of the terminfo (or ncurses) packages contain such link or any
post-install scripts that could make one.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...

* RE: terminfo packaging glitch?
@ 2021-11-18 15:59   ` Fergus Daly
From: Fergus Daly @ 2021-11-18 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: Fergus Daly

>> Does this:
>> $ ls  /usr/share/terminfo/terminfo
>> lrwxrwxrwx  /usr/share/terminfo/terminfo -> /usr/share/terminfo/
>> serve a purpose, or supply a workaround .. or .. is it a packaging glitch?
>> (Only in Cygwin64, not Cygwin32.)

> $ ls -ld /usr/share/terminfo/terminfo
> ls: cannot access '/usr/share/terminfo/terminfo': No such file or directory
> None of the terminfo (or ncurses) packages contain such link or any post-install scripts that could make one.

Whoops. Must be something daft that I somehow managed to create.
Thank you for this resolution; and sorry for the bother.
Fergus

* RE: terminfo packaging glitch?
@ 2021-11-18 16:47     ` Fergus Daly
From: Fergus Daly @ 2021-11-18 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: Fergus Daly, Brian.Inglis

Sorry Brian: missed yours when replying to Andrey.

Brian said:

> I can't find anything anywhere on my system or the web suggesting a
> source for that. Something you or some script did on your system?
> How did you find the links in your 2014 "Missing links" post: from
> cygcheck -c|-s? What were the associated packages?
>	https://cygwin.com/legacy-ml/cygwin/2014-07/msg00289.html

I found the weird / missing links through a much less cerebral approach than that suggested by you, I'm afraid.
As follows:
I usually have more than one Cygwin setup (e.g one on a drive on PC1, one on a drive on PC2, one on a stick, ..).
If I compare any two (that are intended to be identical) using
$ diff -rq /setup1 /setup2 > diffs.1 2> diffs.2
then apart from unimportant binary-file-by-binary-file byte differences occurring during installation (and some
important differences worth attention) identified in the file diffs.1, there are often discrepancies, mis-labelling,
and other glitches worth investigating and / or needing correction to be found in the file diffs.2.
(I had forgotten that the particular weirdness
/usr/share/terminfo/terminfo -> /usr/share/terminfo/
had a history - and such a long one.)
Fergus

* Re: terminfo packaging glitch?
@ 2021-11-18 19:28       ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2021-11-18 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2021-11-18 09:47, Fergus Daly wrote:
> Sorry Brian: missed yours when replying to Andrey.
> Brian said:
>> I can't find anything anywhere on my system or the web suggesting a
>> source for that. Something you or some script did on your system?
>> How did you find the links in your 2014 "Missing links" post: from
>> cygcheck -c|-s? What were the associated packages?
>> 	https://cygwin.com/legacy-ml/cygwin/2014-07/msg00289.html

> I found the weird / missing links through a much less cerebral approach than that suggested by you, I'm afraid.
> As follows:
> I usually have more than one Cygwin setup (e.g one on a drive on PC1, one on a drive on PC2, one on a stick, ..).
> If I compare any two (that are intended to be identical) using
> $ diff -rq /setup1 /setup2 > diffs.1 2> diffs.2
> then apart from unimportant binary-file-by-binary-file byte differences occurring during installation (and some
> important differences worth attention) identified in the file diffs.1, there are often discrepancies, mis-labelling,
> and other glitches worth investigating and / or needing correction to be found in the file diffs.2.
> (I had forgotten that the particular weirdness
> /usr/share/terminfo/terminfo -> /usr/share/terminfo/
> had a history - and such a long one.)

Just rm it!