* gnome-terminal desktop shortcut
@ 2019-09-02  5:14 Amadeus WM via cygwin
From: Amadeus WM via cygwin @ 2019-09-02  5:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I installed cygwin 3.0.7 about 2 weeks ago and everything seems fine.
I start the X server from the command line with startxwin.

What I'd like to do is to set up a desktop shortcut for gnome-terminal.
I have defined the DISPLAY=":0.0" option in windows, and from mintty I can start gnome-terminal
with no problems. I tried to set up a windows shortcut with this command:

C:\cygwin64\bin\gnome-terminal.exe --display=":0.0" --  C:\cygwin64\bin\bash --login -i

I also tried different variations on this, e.g. do not tell it to run bash at all,
run bash, but specify the POSIX path, etc.

The result is always the same: a window pops up for a fraction of a second and disappears.

What do I need to do to get the gnome-terminal shortcut working? Like the mintty
(cygwin-terminal) is working.

Thanks!

* Re: gnome-terminal desktop shortcut
@ 2019-09-02 14:43 ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2019-09-02 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2019-09-01 23:14, Amadeus WM via cygwin wrote:
> I installed cygwin 3.0.7 about 2 weeks ago and everything seems fine.
> I start the X server from the command line with startxwin.
>
> What I'd like to do is to set up a desktop shortcut for gnome-terminal.
> I have defined the DISPLAY=":0.0" option in windows, and from mintty I can start gnome-terminal
> with no problems. I tried to set up a windows shortcut with this command:
>
> C:\cygwin64\bin\gnome-terminal.exe --display=":0.0" --  C:\cygwin64\bin\bash --login -i
>
> I also tried different variations on this, e.g. do not tell it to run bash at all,
> run bash, but specify the POSIX path, etc.
>
> The result is always the same: a window pops up for a fraction of a second and disappears.
>
> What do I need to do to get the gnome-terminal shortcut working? Like the mintty
> (cygwin-terminal) is working.

Use X apps menu Accessories/Menu Editor to add gnome-terminal to the System
and/or TerminalEmulator sub-menus.

AND/OR

Run gnome-terminal just before the launch of xwin-xdg-menu near the bottom of
~/.startxwinrc:

$ tail ~/.startxwinrc
    if [ -x /usr/bin/fbxkb -a "x$IMSETTINGS_MODULE" != "xIBus" ] ; then
        /usr/bin/fbxkb &
    fi
# Gnome terminal
    if [ -x /usr/bin/gnome-terminal ] ; then
        /usr/bin/gnome-terminal -geometry 120x60+210+120 - &
    fi

    exec /usr/bin/xwin-xdg-menu
fi

* Re: gnome-terminal desktop shortcut
@ 2019-09-02 14:52 ` Franz Fehringer
From: Franz Fehringer @ 2019-09-02 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

This works for me with
- DISPLAY=:0 at toplevel Windows (DOS) level
- Cygwin bin (last) in the Windows (DOS) path
The desktop link is
C:\Tools\Cygwin\bin\run.exe C:\Tools\Cygwin\bin\gnome-terminal.exe
One essential point is to use UTF-8
I have LC_ALL=de_DE.utf8 both at Windows (DOS) and Cygwin level (though
Windows level is not optimal if you use mingw64 GUI applications).
If things do not work you can execute from Windows (DOS) cmd and check
the exit code. There is an internet page for explaining them.