public inbox for docbook-tools-discuss@sourceware.org
* Re: Local change of stylesheet
@ 2000-12-27  6:36 ` Eric Bischoff
From: Eric Bischoff @ 2000-12-27  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Toft; +Cc: docbook-tools-discuss

Peter Toft wrote:

> If I want to use another stylesheet than the default
> one, then I change my
> /usr/lib/sgml/stylesheets/nwalsh-modular/html/dbparam.dsl
> (Linux Red Hat 6.2 location)
>
> (define %stylesheet%
>   ;; REFENTRY stylesheet
>   ;; PURP Name of the stylesheet to use
>   ;; DESC
>   ;; The name of the stylesheet to place in the HTML LINK TAG, or '#f' to
>   ;; suppress the stylesheet LINK.
>   ;; /DESC
>   ;; AUTHOR N/A
>   ;; /REFENTRY
>   "MY_OWN_STYLESHEET.css")  ;; Here I changed !!
>
> however user-A and user-B wants to locally use their
> own set of stylesheets, hence I need the syntax to set
> the %stylesheet% in my master SGML-document.

They can use -d on the command line.

--
 Éric Bischoff   -   mailto:ebisch@cybercable.tm.fr
                                           \^o~_.

From: Eric Bischoff @ 2000-12-27  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Norman Walsh; +Cc: Peter Toft, docbook-tools-discuss

Norman Walsh wrote:

> At the moment, I always put that filename on the command line, but is
> it completely wrong to point to that stylesheet from the document?
> Hard to say. What we really need is better facilities for handling XML
> documents and stylesheets at the system level. What I really want is
> simply a (possibly local, possibly global) association between that
> document and that stylesheet.
>
> [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-stylesheet/

Someone (I don't remember who) proposed once a system-specific solution
to address something I believe is a system-specific problem: "aliases".
SGML-tools has something very near.

An "alias" would be an association of:
	- the style sheet you need
	- the catalogs you need
	- the command line options you need

so it would define some kind of processing as a whole, while the current
system is splitting everything apart for modularity's sake.

Currently, the docbook-utils take a different approach:
- they try to determine the centralized catalogs (in /etc/sgml) from the
document's prologue
- the centralized catalogs point to "real" catalogs (in
/usr/share/sgml), like the one for Jade, the ones from the DBMSS, the
one for the iso entities, etc...
- the "real" catalogues define a lot of things, including with respect
to style sheets

but at this point you still don't know which style sheet you want to use
- you have to specify it on the command line. If you don't specify any
style sheet on the command line, then a default one for this DTD is
taken. Per default it's your html/docbook.cat or print/docbook.cat if
you are processing some docbook file.

--

@ 2000-12-27  6:36       ` Norman Walsh
From: Norman Walsh @ 2000-12-27  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Bischoff; +Cc: Peter Toft, docbook-tools-discuss

/ Eric Bischoff <ebisch@cybercable.tm.fr> was heard to say:
| > Or set the stylesheet using a custom driver. But maybe the dbhtml PI
| > should be extended...I can imagine wanting per-document stylesheets.
| > Kindof.

Actually, the dbhtml PI would be the wrong answer, support for
Associating Style Sheets with XML Documents[1] is the "right" answer.

| Nice idea, but it would somehow break the separation between the
| document and its style sheets, no? You would have to find *in the
| document* information about the style sheets you want. There's a big
| conceptual problem behind that.

It's a problem, but it has practical applications. Suppose that you
implement some one-off markup in a single document. For example, the
second edition of the XML REC has "erratum numbers" identified by

  <loc role="erratumreference" href="xxx">[E999]</loc>

In the "plain" presentation of this document, the E-numbers are to be
suppressed.  The stylesheet that accomplishes this is
"xml-rec-2e.xsl".

At the moment, I always put that filename on the command line, but is
it completely wrong to point to that stylesheet from the document?
Hard to say. What we really need is better facilities for handling XML
documents and stylesheets at the system level. What I really want is
simply a (possibly local, possibly global) association between that
document and that stylesheet.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-stylesheet/

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> | No man's knowledge here can go beyond
http://nwalsh.com/            | his experience.--John Locke

From: Eric Bischoff @ 2000-12-27  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Norman Walsh; +Cc: Peter Toft, docbook-tools-discuss

@ 2000-12-27  6:36   ` Norman Walsh
From: Norman Walsh @ 2000-12-27  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Bischoff; +Cc: Peter Toft, docbook-tools-discuss

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> | The function of the imagination is not
http://nwalsh.com/            | to make strange things settled, so much
                              | as it is to make settled things
                              | strange.--G. K. Chesterton

* Local change of stylesheet
@ 2000-12-27  6:36 Peter Toft
From: Peter Toft @ 2000-12-27  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: docbook-tools-discuss

If I want to use another stylesheet than the default
one, then I change my
/usr/lib/sgml/stylesheets/nwalsh-modular/html/dbparam.dsl
(Linux Red Hat 6.2 location)

(define %stylesheet%
  ;; REFENTRY stylesheet
  ;; PURP Name of the stylesheet to use
  ;; DESC
  ;; The name of the stylesheet to place in the HTML LINK TAG, or '#f' to
  ;; suppress the stylesheet LINK.
  ;; /DESC
  ;; AUTHOR N/A
  ;; /REFENTRY
  "MY_OWN_STYLESHEET.css")  ;; Here I changed !!

however user-A and user-B wants to locally use their
own set of stylesheets, hence I need the syntax to set
the %stylesheet% in my master SGML-document.

BR

--
Peter Toft, Ph.D. [pto@sslug.dk] http://www.sslug.dk/~pto

"You don't win a battle by asking, `Will we win?'
You win it by doing your best to win"
- Richard M Stallman

----> Visit http://petition.eurolinux.org <---