public inbox for docbook-tools-discuss@sourceware.org
* RE: Linking collections (was: RE: I'm trying to set up docbook-tools. ..)
@ 2000-08-03 15:39   ` Peter Toft
From: Peter Toft @ 2000-08-03 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: docbook-tools-discuss

On Fri, 28 Jul 2000, Gregory Leblanc wrote:

> [...]

I tried to raise the same problem some weeks ago - I
have used Docbook for 2 years now, but I cant make make
the olink work from Normans webpage description. It is
not easy IMHO.

--
Peter Toft, Ph.D. [pto@sslug.dk] http://www.sslug.dk/~pto

"You don't win a battle by asking, `Will we win?'
You win it by doing your best to win"
- Richard M Stallman

----> Visit http://petition.eurolinux.org <---

* RE: Linking collections (was: RE: I'm trying to set up docbook-tools. ..)
@ 2000-12-27  6:36 Gregory Leblanc
From: Gregory Leblanc @ 2000-12-27  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
> | > SGML doesn't really have a good cross-document linking
> | > solution (though
> | > you can cobble one together, see my tutorials about olink on
> | > nwalsh.com).
>
> http://nwalsh.com/docbook/dsssl/doc/olinksemantics.html

For anybody who hasn't read this, here's fair warning about it being a wee
little bit hard to understand.  No offense, please, I'm just having a very
hard time understanding this, perhaps because I've only got about 6 months
working with SGML.  As an example "The format of generated text is
controlled by the XRefLabel attribute on the ModeSpec pointed to by the
OLink."  I've got to work REAL hard to figure out just what that means.
I'll try to come up with as many questions as I can, and post them here(?)
as soon as I get them into some semblance of order.  One other note, I think
that your entity definitions are hosed, as I see &ldquo; and others in the
HTML version of this file.  Thanks,
	Grego

* RE: Linking collections (was: RE: I'm trying to set up docbook-tools. ..)
@ 2000-12-27  6:36 ` Peter Toft
From: Peter Toft @ 2000-12-27  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: docbook-tools-discuss

@ 2000-12-27  6:36 ` Norman Walsh
From: Norman Walsh @ 2000-12-27  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gregory Leblanc; +Cc: docbook-tools-discuss

/ Gregory Leblanc <GLeblanc@cu-portland.edu> was heard to say:

It's one of the biggest problems XML has right now, IMHO. It should
be/will/is possible to build a solution with XPointer and XLink, but I
don't know of an out-of-the-box one available now.

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> | All our foes are mortal.--Val\'ery
http://nwalsh.com/            |

* Re: Linking collections (was: RE: I'm trying to set up docbook-tools. ..)
@ 2000-07-10  7:03   ` Norman Walsh
From: Norman Walsh @ 2000-07-10  7:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gregory Leblanc; +Cc: docbook-tools-discuss