public inbox for docbook-tools-discuss@sourceware.org
* 6 Linux books in DocBook, and so what ...
@ 2000-10-02 13:24 ` Peter Toft
From: Peter Toft @ 2000-10-02 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: docbook-tools-discuss

I have had many good hints from this list, hence I try
again.

I have 6 Linux books written in DocBook, and each of
them have their seperate index. However it could be
cool if I could make a mega-book containing the 6 books
+ one joint mega-index :)

Actually I made one book - it kept growing, hence we
did split that one, but some people would like to have
the benefit of one index (especially) in the HTML
version.

It seems that I can use the <set> tag to make the
mega-book and then I had to consider the index. I can
make an additional new <book> within the <set> which
contains the index, but it seems clumsy that I have to
add that book (named index - with one item in it -
named index). Can I make a smarter trick here???

BR

--
Peter Toft, Ph.D. [pto@sslug.dk] http://www.sslug.dk/~pto

"You don't win a battle by asking, `Will we win?'
You win it by doing your best to win"
- Richard M Stallman

----> Visit http://petition.eurolinux.org <---

* Re: 6 Linux books in DocBook, and so what ...
@ 2000-10-02 13:31   ` Norman Walsh
From: Norman Walsh @ 2000-10-02 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Toft; +Cc: docbook-tools-discuss

/ Peter Toft <pto@sslug.dk> was heard to say:
| named index). Can I make a smarter trick here???

<setindex>? :-)

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> | What is more wonderful than the delight
http://nwalsh.com/            | which the mind feels when it *knows*?

@ 2000-10-02 13:34     ` Peter Toft
From: Peter Toft @ 2000-10-02 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Norman Walsh; +Cc: docbook-tools-discuss

On 2 Oct 2000, Norman Walsh wrote:

> / Peter Toft <pto@sslug.dk> was heard to say:
> | named index). Can I make a smarter trick here???
>
> <setindex>?:-)

Which works with collateindex.pl?

@ 2000-10-02 13:56       ` Norman Walsh
From: Norman Walsh @ 2000-10-02 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Toft; +Cc: docbook-tools-discuss

/ Peter Toft <pto@sslug.dk> was heard to say:
| On 2 Oct 2000, Norman Walsh wrote:
|
| > / Peter Toft <pto@sslug.dk> was heard to say:
| > | named index). Can I make a smarter trick here???
| >
| > <setindex>?:-)
|
| Which works with collateindex.pl?

Uhm. If you tell the collateindex script to generate a <setindex>, it
should be OK. You'll have to play a few games if you want to generate
six individual indexes *and* a setindex, but it should be doable.

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> | Wink at small faults; for thou has
http://nwalsh.com/            | great ones.--Thomas Fuller (II)

* Re: 6 Linux books in DocBook, and so what ...
@ 2000-10-02 15:34   ` Bill Campbell
From: Bill Campbell @ 2000-10-02 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: docbook-tools-discuss

On Mon, Oct 02, 2000 at 10:22:05PM +0200, Peter Toft wrote:
>I have had many good hints from this list, hence I try
>again.
>
>I have 6 Linux books written in DocBook, and each of
>them have their seperate index. However it could be
>cool if I could make a mega-book containing the 6 books
>+ one joint mega-index :)

I consider myself a docbook dummy, having only been working with it for a
few months so there may be better ways to handle this.  The way we do it
here is to have each chapter/article in its own directory, with the body of
the text in a file body.sgml, and a wrapper file that sources that file
with the appropriate declarations to format it as a separate article.

These directories are all in a parallel directory structure, and when I
want to create a book, it gets its own directory, parallel to the
individual chapters.  There's a wrapper file in that directory that has
ENTITY declarations for each chapter referring to the body of each chapter
as ../chapname/body.sgml.  I have a script that's derived from one of
Eric's docbook-utils which processes docbook input appropriately with
collateindex to create the html, postscript, etc. output.  The script also
has an option to create a single html file using ``nochunks'' in addition
to the normal multi-file structure because I often find it easier to work
with a single file in a browser than be constantly paging around since I
can search or print the whole document in one operation.

Bill
--
INTERNET:   bill@Celestial.COM  Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC

``Never do your enemy a minor injury.''
    - Machiavelli

* Re: 6 Linux books in DocBook, and so what ...
@ 2000-10-10  1:39     ` Eric Bischoff
From: Eric Bischoff @ 2000-10-10  1:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bill; +Cc: docbook-tools-discuss

Bill Campbell wrote:

> These directories are all in a parallel directory structure, and when I
> want to create a book, it gets its own directory, parallel to the
> individual chapters.  There's a wrapper file in that directory that has
> ENTITY declarations for each chapter referring to the body of each chapter
> as ../chapname/body.sgml.  I have a script that's derived from one of
> Eric's docbook-utils which processes docbook input appropriately with
> collateindex to create the html, postscript, etc. output.  The script also
> has an option to create a single html file using ``nochunks'' in addition
> to the normal multi-file structure because I often find it easier to work
> with a single file in a browser than be constantly paging around since I
> can search or print the whole document in one operation.

Maybe you already use it, but...

The "nochunks" option is in the docbook-utils

	man docbook2html
or	docbook2html --help

will give you the syntax.

--
Éric Bischoff  -  Documentation and Localization
Caldera (Deutschland) GmbH - Linux for eBusiness

* Re: 6 Linux books in DocBook, and so what ...
@ 2000-12-27  6:36   ` Eric Bischoff
From: Eric Bischoff @ 2000-12-27  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bill; +Cc: docbook-tools-discuss

Bill Campbell wrote:

> These directories are all in a parallel directory structure, and when I
> want to create a book, it gets its own directory, parallel to the
> individual chapters.  There's a wrapper file in that directory that has
> ENTITY declarations for each chapter referring to the body of each chapter
> as ../chapname/body.sgml.  I have a script that's derived from one of
> Eric's docbook-utils which processes docbook input appropriately with
> collateindex to create the html, postscript, etc. output.  The script also
> has an option to create a single html file using ``nochunks'' in addition
> to the normal multi-file structure because I often find it easier to work
> with a single file in a browser than be constantly paging around since I
> can search or print the whole document in one operation.

Maybe you already use it, but...

The "nochunks" option is in the docbook-utils

	man docbook2html
or	docbook2html --help

will give you the syntax.

--
Éric Bischoff  -  Documentation and Localization
Caldera (Deutschland) GmbH - Linux for eBusiness
Tel: +49 9131 7192 300 -  Fax: +49 9131 7192 399
http://www.caldera.de/

* 6 Linux books in DocBook, and so what ...
@ 2000-12-27  6:36 Peter Toft
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Peter Toft @ 2000-12-27  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: docbook-tools-discuss