public inbox for docbook-tools-discuss@sourceware.org
* -- in pdf
@ 2001-07-20 19:04 Tammy Fox
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Tammy Fox @ 2001-07-20 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: docbook-tools-discuss

Has anyone else noticed that db2pdf makes -- (double dashes) an emdash in the
resulting PDF file?

I have tried to solve this by replacing -- with
‐ ‐
‐‐
‐ ‐

but they all end up translating to - - (dash space dash) in HTML.

I need to be able to produce both PDF and HTML.

–– seems to make a really small space between the dashing,
but it is not really noticable in PDF or HTML.

Does anybody have a solution to this?

Thanks,
Tammy

* Re: -- in pdf
@ 2001-07-20 23:17 ` Peter Toft
From: Peter Toft @ 2001-07-20 23:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tammy Fox; +Cc: docbook-tools-discuss

On Fri, 20 Jul 2001, Tammy Fox wrote:

> Has anyone else noticed that db2pdf makes -- (double dashes) an emdash in the
> resulting PDF file?
>
> I have tried to solve this by replacing -- with
> ‐ ‐
> ‐‐
> ‐ ‐
>
> but they all end up translating to - - (dash space dash) in HTML.
>
> I need to be able to produce both PDF and HTML.
>
> –– seems to make a really small space between the dashing,
> but it is not really noticable in PDF or HTML.
>
> Does anybody have a solution to this?

I will forward you the last thread on this subject.

--
Peter Toft, Ph.D. [pto@sslug.dk] http://www.sslug.dk/~pto

You are not alone. The penguins are everywhere.

* Re: -- in pdf
@ 2001-07-20 23:18 ` Hugo van der Kooij
From: Hugo van der Kooij @ 2001-07-20 23:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: docbook-tools-discuss

On Fri, 20 Jul 2001, Tammy Fox wrote:

> Has anyone else noticed that db2pdf makes -- (double dashes) an emdash in the
> resulting PDF file?

I have stopped worrying about PDF output. as I no longer use it due to the
policies of Adobe.

I suggest everyone to do likewise and al least visit
http://www.boycottadobe.com/ once to understand why I came to this
decision.

Hugo.

--
All email send to me is bound to the rules described on my homepage.
    hvdkooij@vanderkooij.org		http://hvdkooij.xs4all.nl/

* Re: -- in pdf
@ 2001-07-21  1:40 ` Tim Waugh
From: Tim Waugh @ 2001-07-21  1:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tammy Fox; +Cc: docbook-tools-discuss

On Fri, Jul 20, 2001 at 10:04:43PM -0400, Tammy Fox wrote:

> Has anyone else noticed that db2pdf makes -- (double dashes) an
> emdash in the resulting PDF file?

I'm pretty sure this is fixed in openjade CVS.  I nabbed a patch from
there to make openjade-1.3-17 in Red Hat Rawhide.  Want to try it out?

Tim.
*/
--

* Re: -- in pdf
@ 2001-07-21  9:33   ` Tammy Fox
From: Tammy Fox @ 2001-07-21  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Waugh; +Cc: docbook-tools-discuss

On Sat, Jul 21, 2001 at 09:40:27AM +0100, Tim Waugh wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 20, 2001 at 10:04:43PM -0400, Tammy Fox wrote:
>
> > Has anyone else noticed that db2pdf makes -- (double dashes) an
> > emdash in the resulting PDF file?
>
> I'm pretty sure this is fixed in openjade CVS.  I nabbed a patch from
> there to make openjade-1.3-17 in Red Hat Rawhide.  Want to try it out?

Excellent! That worked for me.

Thanks,
Tammy

* Re: -- in pdf
@ 2001-07-22 15:04   ` Timothy Reaves
From: Timothy Reaves @ 2001-07-22 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: DocBook Tools

On Sat, 21 Jul 2001 08:18:07 +0200 (CEST)
Hugo van der Kooij <hvdkooij@vanderkooij.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Jul 2001, Tammy Fox wrote:
>
> > Has anyone else noticed that db2pdf makes -- (double dashes) an emdash in the
> > resulting PDF file?
>
> I have stopped worrying about PDF output. as I no longer use it due to the
> policies of Adobe.
>
> I suggest everyone to do likewise and al least visit
> http://www.boycottadobe.com/ once to understand why I came to this
> decision.

	And what do you suggest for printing otherwise?  Is there a PS backend?  Or is that being boycotted as well?

* Re: -- in pdf
@ 2001-07-22 15:09     ` Hugo van der Kooij
From: Hugo van der Kooij @ 2001-07-22 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: DocBook Tools

On Sun, 22 Jul 2001, Timothy Reaves wrote:

> On Sat, 21 Jul 2001 08:18:07 +0200 (CEST)
> Hugo van der Kooij <hvdkooij@vanderkooij.org> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 20 Jul 2001, Tammy Fox wrote:
> >
> > > Has anyone else noticed that db2pdf makes -- (double dashes) an emdash in the
> > > resulting PDF file?
> >
> > I have stopped worrying about PDF output. as I no longer use it due to the
> > policies of Adobe.
> >
> > I suggest everyone to do likewise and al least visit
> > http://www.boycottadobe.com/ once to understand why I came to this
> > decision.
>
> 	And what do you suggest for printing otherwise?  Is there a PS backend?  Or is that being boycotted as well?

There is a PS backend.

Hugo.