public inbox for eclipse@sourceware.org
* Current Eclipse on Red Hat
@ 2003-11-24 20:37 listas
From: listas @ 2003-11-24 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eclipse

Hi there,

Please forgive me if this is not the forun to ask this question. I am playing
with Red Hat native-compiled Eclipse using both RHL9 and Fedora. It's very,
very hard to get all dependencies and to get one of the snapshots to run, or to
compile from sources. I've also been following the gcj list so I know this is
not a simple task and what was already acomplished is really impressive!

But before I commit more time and resources into this, I'd like to have some
information:

1. What's the current state of Red Hat Eclipse? The packages tell it's 2.1.x
but the about box reports many plugins at 2.0.x.

2. I got sucess compiling Java classes using only gcj/libgcj but I could not
find a way to run them using gij, so I had to configure a Sun JVM. That was the
end of my free software java ide. :-(

3. Any plans to support native Java compilation using gcj?

4. Plans to update to the latest CDT (1.2.0)? It has many nice features that
weren't on previous releases.

[]s, Fernando Lozano

* Re: Current Eclipse on Red Hat
@ 2003-11-25 17:43 ` Tom Tromey
From: Tom Tromey @ 2003-11-25 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: listas; +Cc: eclipse

>> 1. What's the current state of Red Hat Eclipse? The packages tell
>> it's 2.1.x but the about box reports many plugins at 2.0.x.

This was a bug in that particular release... the plugins are lying.
It really is 2.1.0-ish.

>> 2. I got sucess compiling Java classes using only gcj/libgcj but I
>> could not find a way to run them using gij, so I had to configure a
>> Sun JVM. That was the end of my free software java ide. :-(

I think we've fixed this internally.  Andrew wrote a patch to tell
eclipse about gij as a java runtime.

You could probably make it work by making a tree with various
symlinks in it.  I think Mark Wielaard did that once.

Also, note that once you do get this working, you still won't be able
to debug with the JDT.  gij doesn't support JDWP, this is a known
issue.

>> 3. Any plans to support native Java compilation using gcj?

It would be nice.  I don't think anybody is working on it ATM.
We're taking patches :-)

>> 4. Plans to update to the latest CDT (1.2.0)? It has many nice
>> features that weren't on previous releases.

Internally we're running 2.1.1 with CDT 1.2.0.  I'm not sure when
we'll be releasing it publicly.

Tom