* [ECOS] standalone RAM application
@ 2003-10-10 20:40 Aaron Richardson
From: Aaron Richardson @ 2003-10-10 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eCos Discussion

I am trying to create a standalone ecos RAM application.  I will be loading
this application into RAM and then releasing the cpu from reset.  I have 2
problems at this point:

1) no vectors are placed in RAM at 0x0 with the load of my program.

2) my program seems to want to load at 0x200000.

I can load my program in RAM and start the cpu at 0x200000.  The code prints
out a rew things and then hangs at some point.  I think this has to do with
the vectors missing(I havent tracked it down completely yet).  Any idea how
to fix this?

thanks,

--

Aaron Richardson
aarichar@cisco.com

* Re: [ECOS] standalone RAM application
@ 2003-10-10 21:17 ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2003-10-10 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: aarichar; +Cc: eCos Discussion

On Fri, 2003-10-10 at 14:38, Aaron Richardson wrote:
> I am trying to create a standalone ecos RAM application.  I will be loading
> this application into RAM and then releasing the cpu from reset.  I have 2
> problems at this point:
>
> 1) no vectors are placed in RAM at 0x0 with the load of my program.
>
> 2) my program seems to want to load at 0x200000.
>
> I can load my program in RAM and start the cpu at 0x200000.  The code prints
> out a rew things and then hangs at some point.  I think this has to do with
> the vectors missing(I havent tracked it down completely yet).  Any idea how
> to fix this?

What platform?  What Architecture?  The details vary from platform to
platform.

--
Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com>
MLB Associates

* Re: [ECOS] standalone RAM application
@ 2003-10-10 22:02   ` Aaron Richardson
From: Aaron Richardson @ 2003-10-10 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: eCos Discussion

So the architecture is the IXP2400.

I have ported the Intel redboot to the current ~2.0 code(pre-release CVS).  I
have it running (ROMRAM) from flash.  My application works booting redboot
from flash and loading the application.  However, when I click the "Behave as
ROM monitor" (to make standalone app) it changes my startup type to ROMRAM.
Which I assume is not what I want.

thanks,
Aaron

--

@ 2003-10-13  6:30 ` Eric de Jong
From: Eric de Jong @ 2003-10-13  6:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eCos Discussion

>> 1) no vectors are placed in RAM at 0x0 with the load of my program.
No, the vectors are installed by redboot, and, if selected in the configuration,
updated by your init code.

>> 2) my program seems to want to load at 0x200000.
You can change this in your linker file (target.ld ?) with the command
"ENTRY(reset_vector)". The label reset_vector must be defined globaly.

>> The code prints out a rew things and then hangs at some point.
Your code? It does seem to work then right?
Debug code? Try assembly stepping through the startup code and find out where it
does wrong. Maybe you need to change some options in your config file?

Eric.

* [ECOS] how to create RAM redboot image
@ 2003-10-15 21:44   ` Ramprasad
From: Ramprasad @ 2003-10-15 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eCos Discussion

Hello all,

I compiled the redboot for ASB2305 (for AM33 processor) and got the images
like .img, .bin, .elf and .srec. But in the manuals says you have to
download .ram of redboot image using JTAG debugger. Please can you tell me
how can I get the .ram (or .rom) image.

TIA
Ramprasad

* Re: [ECOS] how to create RAM redboot image
@ 2003-10-15 21:52     ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2003-10-15 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ramprasad; +Cc: eCos Discussion

On Wed, 2003-10-15 at 15:44, Ramprasad wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I compiled the redboot for ASB2305 (for AM33 processor) and got the images
> like .img, .bin, .elf and .srec. But in the manuals says you have to
> download .ram of redboot image using JTAG debugger. Please can you tell me
> how can I get the .ram (or .rom) image.

The "RAM" version is simply a version which has the startup type set
to RAM.  The file name suffices have nothing to do with this.

The process should be something like this:
  % ecosconfig new asb2305 redboot
  % ecosconfig import ${ECOS_REPOSITORY}/hal/mn10300/asb2305/current/misc/redboot_RAM.ecm
  % ecosconfig tree
  % make
Then download whatever file your JTAG software wants - some want to
see raw binary (hence the .bin suffix), some an ELF image (.elf), ...

Once you have this running, build the ROM version.  In a separate directory,
using the same steps as above, except use the ..._ROM.ecm file

--
Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com>
MLB Associates

* Re: [ECOS] Bringup the asb2305 board
@ 2003-10-24 15:35       ` Ramprasad
From: Ramprasad @ 2003-10-24 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: eCos Discussion

Hello all,

I got the images .bin, .img, .srec and .elf after compiling redboot for
asb2305 (MN10300) reference board. I downloaded .img file(.elf and .srec
also tried) thru JTAG debugger (after setting up the hyperterminal and other
board settings). But I did not get any messages in hyperterminal.

1. Setting up hyper terminal (115200, N, 8, 1 with hardware flow control).
2. As I want to just see the redboot prompt, I didn't set the jumper (ST18)
to write enable for PROM.
3. I put the front board switch (S5) to FLASH.

Please let me know if I am doing anything wrong.

Regards
Ramprasad