* Re: [ECOS] TCP/IP Stack for eCos
@ 1999-05-04  4:36 Jay Lepreau
From: Jay Lepreau @ 1999-05-04  4:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fred Fierling; +Cc: ecos-discuss

> Is anyone interested in working on an open TCP/IP stack for eCos?

It probably would take very little effort to get the OSKit's TCP/IP
stack working in eCos, because one of the OSKit's goals is that each
component not only be entirely separable and optional, but be able to
fit into *other* operating systems and environments.

Copious docs, examples, papers and source available at
http://www.cs.utah.edu/flux/oskit/ .

Examples of fitting in to other envs:
Outside people have used it to get a "Scheme computer" running in a
few hours.  We've done the same for Java (you can boot Kaffe on bare
hardware).  Outside people have used the device drivers and low-level
code in a number of their own x86 kernels.

Although some of the low-level OSKit components contain x86 or
PC-specific code, a large number of the 31 component libraries are
high level and should work on any architecture.  Besides networking,
of interest might be BOOTP, posix-like libraries, pthreads, BSD and
Linux-supported filesystems, simple virtual memory, and some research
products in thread scheduling and network link scheduling.  All the
Linux devices drivers are there.

It's written in C, uses autoconf, the GNU toolchain, supports ELF and
a.out on the x86.  Many components export the COM object model (scary
sounding I know, but it's really just a glorified function table, so
it's fast).  You can debug on top of Unix or use remote gdb.  In some
ways eCos and the OSKit overlap but in more ways they are complementary.
Good things could be done with them together.

Jay Lepreau
University of Utah

p.s. Hi Stan, long time no see-- you wouldn't recognize the
4th east penthouse any more!

* RE: [ECOS] Re: TCP/IP Stack for eCos.
@ 1999-10-04  9:50 Gordy Perkins
From: Gordy Perkins @ 1999-10-04  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

As an attendee at the recent Embedded Systems Conference in San Jose,
it's incredibly obvious that TCP/IP and capabilities like SNMP are of
the highest importance - not another CPU port like SPARC. TCP/IP would
increase the attractiveness of ECOS, therefore the *value* of future
ports. Scenix (the Microchip competitor) had a PPP, TCP/IP and SMTP/HTTP
demo - that's on a $3, 8-bit microcontroller. Someone at Cygnus ought to
raise the priority to make sure ECOS has this critical feature ASAP.

* [ECOS] TCP/IP Stack for eCos.
@ 1999-09-28 22:04 Prakash R
From: Prakash R @ 1999-09-28 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss; +Cc: Prakash R

We plan to port BSD-4.4lite's TCP/IP stack on eCos. Currently we are
trying to get the eCos to run on our MPC860 based board. Once we are
through with that we would be porting TCP/IP stack on eCos. I request
the people interested to get in touch, so that we can share our
expertise/experience.

We are also looking into RTEMS to find out how TCP/IP has been
implemented onto RTEMS.

--
Prakash R
Co-ordinating Engineer, Internet Telephony Group

* [ECOS] Re: TCP/IP Stack for eCos
@ 1999-09-24 11:29 Jim Belton
From: Jim Belton @ 1999-09-24 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eCos Discuss

Ramana:

If you read back through the archive, you'll see a discussion of this
issue occurred
earlier this year, in the spring I believe.  At that time, no one
claimed to be working
on such a project.  There was talk of porting the NetBSD stack, the way
the
RTEMS people did, but no-one volunteered to do it.

If anyone is working on a TCP/IP stack for eCos, please post.  My
company,
Microplex, has embedded networking technology on several commercial
RTOSs,
and I would be very interested in discussing any project to bring TCP/IP
to eCos.

Regards - Jim Belton

* Re: [ECOS] TCP/IP Stack for eCos
@ 1999-05-04 13:51 Jay Lepreau
From: Jay Lepreau @ 1999-05-04 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fred Fierling; +Cc: ecos-discuss, oskit

	> It probably would take very little effort to get the OSKit's TCP/IP
	> stack working in eCos, [...]

	Do you know if it's a zero copy stack?

Yes, I believe it is but can't swear to it.  It's FreeBSD's
implementation with our wrapping code and environment.

Aside:
In Sec 5 of the SOSP paper on our site there's a discussion of a
networking example (ttcp) which might be enlightening in a general
way.  In that particular example an extra copy is incurred on the
outgoing path because BSD's scatter/gather `mbufs' in the protocol
component have to be copied into linear `skbuffs' in the (unchanged)
Linux driver component.  That is an artifact of the mismatch and would
not apply if you allowed yourself to change the Linux drivers or
provided other drivers.  (For maintenance and philosophical reasons,
we generally avoid changing foreign "encapsulated" code in the OSKit.)

* RE: [ECOS] TCP/IP Stack for eCos
@ 1999-04-26  7:04 Leonard, Niall
From: Leonard, Niall @ 1999-04-26  7:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'bartv@cygnus.co.uk'; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Which processors are you currently poring eCos to ?