* [ECOS] Size of eCos binaries
@ 2001-01-12 17:13 Paul Pham
From: Paul Pham @ 2001-01-12 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi all,

After I built the eCos libraries for the ARM chip using the Windows
Configuration tool, I tried compiling the example programs (hello, serial,
etc.) with arm-elf-gcc and the accompanying Makefile. The resulting binaries
were about 1 MB large. Is this typical, or am doing something wrong?

Thanks,
Paul

* Re: [ECOS] Size of eCos binaries
@ 2001-01-12 17:55 ` Lewin A.R.W. Edwards
From: Lewin A.R.W. Edwards @ 2001-01-12 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Pham, ecos-discuss

>After I built the eCos libraries for the ARM chip using the Windows
>Configuration tool, I tried compiling the example programs (hello, serial,
>etc.) with arm-elf-gcc and the accompanying Makefile. The resulting binaries
>were about 1 MB large. Is this typical, or am doing something wrong?

This is normal and typical. Most of that information is debugging
information and ELF stuff. When you upload the binary to the target board
you'll see that the code size is under 128K.

=== Lewin A.R.W. Edwards (Embedded Engineer)
Work: http://www.digi-frame.com/
Personal: http://www.zws.com/ and http://www.larwe.com/

"Und setzet ihr nicht das Leben ein,
Nie wird euch das Leben gewonnen sein."

* Re: [ECOS] Size of eCos binaries
@ 2001-01-12 18:33   ` Grant Edwards
From: Grant Edwards @ 2001-01-12 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lewin A.R.W. Edwards; +Cc: Paul Pham, ecos-discuss

On Fri, Jan 12, 2001 at 08:55:23PM -0500, Lewin A.R.W. Edwards wrote:

> >After I built the eCos libraries for the ARM chip using the Windows
> >Configuration tool, I tried compiling the example programs (hello, serial,
> >etc.) with arm-elf-gcc and the accompanying Makefile. The resulting binaries
> >were about 1 MB large. Is this typical, or am doing something wrong?
>
> This is normal and typical. Most of that information is debugging
> information and ELF stuff. When you upload the binary to the target board
> you'll see that the code size is under 128K.

If you want to see the actual sizes of things you can either use the "size"
program or the objdump program:

$ size elfFileName
$ objdump --sectionHeaders elfFileName

depending on how the tools were build, you may have to put a prefix on the
program names:

$ arm-elf-size elfFileName
$ arm-elf-objdump --sectionHeaders elfFileName

Objdump and objcopy are extremely useful programs.  They can do lots of
different handy things. Read the man pages for both of them.  Honestly, it's
worthwhile.

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com