* [ECOS] USB Device support
@ 2001-01-17 12:22 Nick - eCos Developer
From: Nick - eCos Developer @ 2001-01-17 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ecos - Discuss

I saw a few posts a while back from people working on drivers for the
Phillips USB interface device, PDIUSBD12. Note that this is not a USB host
controller. Has anyone got a working driver of any sort for this chip?

* Re: [ECOS] USB Device support
@ 2001-01-17 12:33 ` Lewin A.R.W. Edwards
From: Lewin A.R.W. Edwards @ 2001-01-17 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick - eCos Developer, Ecos - Discuss

>I saw a few posts a while back from people working on drivers for the
>Phillips USB interface device, PDIUSBD12. Note that this is not a USB host
>controller. Has anyone got a working driver of any sort for this chip?

What type of drivers are you talking about? For USB, the drivers on the
host end are the complex hassle, or that has been my experience anyway.
Once you can work out how to get the host to squirt data, interfacing to
the parallel type USB appliance-end ICs is pretty simple.

We have chosen to use a USB to RS232 solution for our USB product, because
it can be boilerplated into our design, and I am trying to get the USB port
totally eliminated off the product if possible. So much hassle to support
it with all the different Windows and MacOS flavors and idiosyncratic host
controller ICs out there.

=== Lewin A.R.W. Edwards (Embedded Engineer)
Work: http://www.digi-frame.com/
Personal: http://www.zws.com/ and http://www.larwe.com/

"Und setzet ihr nicht das Leben ein,
Nie wird euch das Leben gewonnen sein."

* Re: [ECOS] USB Device support
@ 2001-01-17 13:30 ` Bart Veer
From: Bart Veer @ 2001-01-17 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: n_ecos; +Cc: ecos-discuss

    Nick> I saw a few posts a while back from people working on
    Nick> drivers for the Phillips USB interface device, PDIUSBD12.
    Nick> Note that this is not a USB host controller. Has anyone got
    Nick> a working driver of any sort for this chip?

Recently I have been working on generic eCos support for USB slave
devices (not USB host controllers, that is a completely separate
problem). This involves several new eCos packages. There is a common
USB-slave package which will largely handle standard USB control
messages and the like. This needs to be complemented by a
hardware-specific device driver. There will also be a higher-level
support package for USB/ethernet style peripherals. This code should
get released via anoncvs in the coming weeks. The current device
driver is for the on-chip USB device in the Intel SA1110 processor,
not the PDIUSBD12.

I believe the Philips web site provides various bits of example code.
Another possible source of information is the Cirrus Logic web site:
IIRC one of their evaluation boards (EDB7212?) had a PDIUSBD12 chip
and came with example code, I do not remember the details.

Bart

* Re: [ECOS] USB Device support
@ 2001-01-18  1:14   ` Charles-Henri
From: Charles-Henri @ 2001-01-18  1:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss, Lewin A.R.W. Edwards

I confirm, you can find an USB sample with the Cirrus 7212 board, I have use
it
for an developpement and it's work fine, you have only to adapt to your
hardware.
I developp now an another USB driver for the OKI ML671000 microcontroller,
if
you want the source I send you when finish, max 2 weeks.

balet charles-henri

@ 2001-01-18  4:12 Siegfried Schaefer
From: Siegfried Schaefer @ 2001-01-18  4:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hello,
i do also confirm. I have to implement an USB driver with the PDBIUSBD12
coupling to a AT9140M400 for a customer of me and stacking most of the time
in problems of how to made the host (Win98) to speak with me . The interface
of the usbchip is very simple to program but we have had timing problems
with the parallel interface. It seems to us that the read/write signals from
the ARM are to constraint to the PDBI. We have now a solution working on 12
MHz :-(. I have posted a few months ago that i want to contribute this code
to ecos, but unfortunately i haven't got the time to do so. Now it seems to
me that ecos has done a great step forward since my last viewing of the
code, making it even harder for me to contribute :-(.What are your
experiences with ARM and this chip ?

Ciao, Siegfried Schaefer
Schaefer EDV-Dienstleistungen und Softwareentwicklungen