* [ECOS] SH2 Ports
@ 2003-10-16 11:33 James Yates
From: James Yates @ 2003-10-16 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Has anyone successfully ported eCos to an SH2 based platform. I see that the sh2 variant support has been added. I myself am trying to port eCos to an SH2 based platform. I have created a hardware platform template for use in the configuration tool and have successfully made a config, but I can't get it to build. The compiler complains about var_mk_defs.c .

   I tried building my platform for an SH3 variant with complete success, so I am guessing something is wrong with the SH2 variant but without any other SH2 platform ports, it is difficult for me to judge. I have seen mentions of a few people requiring a port of eCos to SH2 but no mention of anyone actually having done it. My feeling was that maybe this is a compiler bug, gcc v3.2.1 so I have downloaded and tried to build gcc for SH-elf target v 3.3.1 and v3.2.2 but also without success.

	Any help gratefully received.

		James Yates

* Re: [ECOS] SH2 Ports
@ 2003-10-16 11:53 ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2003-10-16 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Yates; +Cc: ecos-discuss

> I tried building my platform for an SH3 variant with complete
> success, so I am guessing something is wrong with the SH2 variant
> but without any other SH2 platform ports, it is difficult for me to
> judge. I have seen mentions of a few people requiring a port of eCos
> to SH2 but no mention of anyone actually having done it. My feeling
> was that maybe this is a compiler bug, gcc v3.2.1 so I have
> downloaded and tried to build gcc for SH-elf target v 3.3.1 and
> v3.2.2 but also without success.

Reading what little information that is in eCos, it looks like there
has been a SH2 port in the past. There is a driver for the SH2-etherC
Ethernet Controller as well. What this normally means is that the
(ex)RedHat guys where contracted to port to a customers SH2
board. This was never made public either because it was a custom
designed board not a development board, or the customer did not want
it made public.

I suggest you contact the exRedHat guys who now work at eCosCentric
and see what they can tell you. Maybe the port also had a custom
version of gcc and the changes never got rolled back into the
mainstream version? Maybe they can point you towards the old compiler
sources etc...

        Andrew