* [ECOS] eCos and AT91SAM7S-EK
@ 2007-06-30 18:13 wavecom wavecom
From: wavecom wavecom @ 2007-06-30 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi,

I'm the beginner eCos user. Now I'm trying to run eCos
on the AT91SAM7S-EK. I've downloaded newest version of
eCos source code and the configtool from cvs. After
setup for AT91 I have successfully compiled eCos libs
with default compilation options except -g option. I
have removed -g option from options to  minimize size
of  kernel.
I wanted to run the “Hello, eCos world!” example, I
have compiled those examples using default Makefile
from /examples directory. Then I have downloaded
result (“examples/hello”) using SAM-BA to the
AT91SAM7S-EK board. The board was connected to PC via
SERIAL0 and DBGU to PC where I have got 2
hyperterminals (38400 8-n-1 non-flow control).
I'm expecting to observe “Hello, eCos world!” on one
of the hyperterminals, but after reset there was no
output.

How should I configure or compile the example to run
examples?
How should I download compilation result to board?
Is it possible to change arm-serial port for printf
function?
Is there any tutorial for eCos on AT91SAM7S-EK?

Pete

* Re: [ECOS] eCos and AT91SAM7S-EK
@ 2007-06-30 20:40 ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2007-06-30 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wavecom wavecom; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On Sat, Jun 30, 2007 at 01:04:03AM -0700, wavecom wavecom wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm the beginner eCos user. Now I'm trying to run eCos
> on the AT91SAM7S-EK. I've downloaded newest version of
> eCos source code and the configtool from cvs. After
> setup for AT91 I have successfully compiled eCos libs
> with default compilation options except -g option. I
> have removed -g option from options to  minimize size
> of  kernel.
> I wanted to run the ?Hello, eCos world!? example, I
> have compiled those examples using default Makefile
> from /examples directory. Then I have downloaded
> result (?examples/hello?) using SAM-BA to the
> AT91SAM7S-EK board. The board was connected to PC via
> SERIAL0 and DBGU to PC where I have got 2
> hyperterminals (38400 8-n-1 non-flow control).
> I'm expecting to observe ?Hello, eCos world!? on one
> of the hyperterminals, but after reset there was no
> output.

I've never used SAM-BA, so maybe a dumb question. What exactly did you
download? The elf or a binary image? Where did you download it to?
What address?

In order to do any serious work with the AT91SAM7S devices you are
going to need a JTAG device for both code download and debugging.

      Andrew

* Re: [ECOS] eCos and AT91SAM7S-EK
@ 2007-06-30 21:40   ` wavecom wavecom
From: wavecom wavecom @ 2007-06-30 21:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Lunn; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Thanks for answer,
SAM-BA is tool provided by Atmel to downloading code
to Atmel arm controllers via USB and others
interfaces. I've downloaded the “hello” (without
extension) file at start address 0x200000. Make
execution on the examples produces 2 files “hello.o”
and “hello”.
I have got wiggler-jtag interface, but I didn't try it
with the eCos.

Pete

@ 2007-06-30 22:01     ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2007-06-30 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wavecom wavecom; +Cc: Andrew Lunn, ecos-discuss

On Sat, Jun 30, 2007 at 09:11:58AM -0700, wavecom wavecom wrote:
> Thanks for answer,
> SAM-BA is tool provided by Atmel to downloading code
> to Atmel arm controllers via USB and others
> interfaces. I've downloaded the ?hello? (without
> extension) file at start address 0x200000. Make
> execution on the examples produces 2 files ?hello.o?
> and ?hello?.

hello is the elf file. Does SAM-BA support elf, or do you need to
convert it to binary using objcopy? I think your probably do.

> I have got wiggler-jtag interface, but I didn't try it
> with the eCos.

I suggest you use this with gdb for debugging and use it for
downloading code to the device.

            Andrew

* Re: [ECOS] eCos and AT91SAM7S-EK
@ 2007-07-02  9:14         ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2007-07-02  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wavecom wavecom; +Cc: ecos-discuss

> > Where can I find such pre-build version?
>
> I have insalled
> bu-2.17_gcc-4.2.0-c-c++_nl-1.15.0_gi-6.6.exe from
> www.gnuarm.org . Is it enough for eCos build?

See:

http://ecos.sourceware.org/getstart.html

The toolchains are there.

    Andrew

* Re: [ECOS] eCos and AT91SAM7S-EK
@ 2007-07-02  6:51       ` wavecom wavecom
From: wavecom wavecom @ 2007-07-02  6:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Lunn; +Cc: ecos-discuss

@ 2007-07-01 22:07     ` wavecom wavecom
From: wavecom wavecom @ 2007-07-01 22:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Lunn; +Cc: ecos-discuss

@ 2007-07-01 12:33   ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2007-07-01 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wavecom wavecom; +Cc: ecos-discuss

@ 2007-07-01  9:36   ` wavecom wavecom
From: wavecom wavecom @ 2007-07-01  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Lunn; +Cc: ecos-discuss

--- wavecom wavecom <wavecomw@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > > I've just tried procedure form eCos pdf-s.
> First,
> > > have downloaded the redboot from

?\htdocs\boards\redbootbins\at91sam7s\redboot_rom.bin?
> > > (cvs path). Now on ARM-COM1 I've got console:):
> > > ?
> > >  RedBoot(tm) bootstrap and debug environment
> [ROM]
> > > Non-certified release, version UNKNOWN - built
> > > 22:08:24, Feb 19 2006
> > >
> > > Platform: Atmel (at91sam7s) (ARM7TDMI)
> > > Copyright (C) 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004 Red
> > Hat,
> > > Inc.
> > >
> > > RAM: 0x00200000-0x00210000,
> > [0x00206ca0-0x0020c800]
> > > available
> > > FLASH: 0x00100000 - 0x140000, 1024 blocks of
> > > 0x00000100 bytes each.
> > > RedBoot>
> > > RedBoot>
> >
> > O.K. This is good. It shows your download process
> is
> > working.
> >
> > > ?
> > >
> > > After that I was tried to use gdb:
> > > ?
> > > C:\cygwin\opt\ecos\ecos-2.0\examples>"c:\Program
> > > Files\yagarto\bin\arm-elf-gdb.e
> > > xe" -nw hello
> > > GNU gdb 6.5.50.20060612-cvs
> > > Copyright (C) 2006 Free Software Foundation,
> Inc.
> > > GDB is free software, covered by the GNU General
> > > Public License, and you are
> > > welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of
> > it
> > > under certain conditions.
> > > Type "show copying" to see the conditions.
> > > There is absolutely no warranty for GDB.  Type
> > "show
> > > warranty" for details.
> > > This GDB was configured as
> "--host=i686-pc-mingw32
> > > --target=arm-elf"...
> > > (gdb) set remotebaud 38400
> > > (gdb) target remote COM7
> > > Remote debugging using COM7
> > > 0x00104954 in Cyg_StdioStreamBuffer::set_buffer
> > > (this=0xd3, size=6,
> > >     new_buffer=0x5

"?\237&#328;\030?\237&#328;\030?\237&#328;\030?\237&#328;&#9632;
> > >  &#341;\030?\237&#328;\030?\237&#328;
> > > &#9568;")
> > >     at

/opt/ecos/ecos-2.0/packages/language/c/libc/stdio/current/src/common/stre
> > > ambuf.cxx:84
> > > 84

/opt/ecos/ecos-2.0/packages/language/c/libc/stdio/current/src/common/str
> > > eambuf.cxx: No such file or directory.
> > >         in

/opt/ecos/ecos-2.0/packages/language/c/libc/stdio/current/src/common/

> > Are you really using eCos 2.0? It is very old. I
> > would suggest you
> > update to anoncvs.
>
> This is the newest verion of eCos from CVS, I've
> only
> copied to existing directory.
>

> > > streambuf.cxx
> > > Current language:  auto; currently c++
> > > (gdb) load
> > 0x100000
> > > Start address 0x100040, load size 33352
> > > Transfer rate: 26681 bits/sec, 370 bytes/write.
> > > (gdb) break main
> > > Breakpoint 1 at 0x10055c: file hello.c, line 6.
> > > (gdb) cont
> > > Continuing.
> >
> > You can single step the startup code and see where
> > it goes wrong.
> > However i've never done this with a RAM
> application
> > on the AT91SAM7
> > platforms. I've always used ROM applications and
> > used gdb attached to
> > JTAG and used hardware breakpoints.
> >

> I've tried to step program, but after the step
> command
> debugging hands up. I don't know how to change
> from RAM to ROM.
>
> > > Program still don't show any messages or even
> stop
> > at
> > > defined breakpoint.
> > > There are warnings ?No such file or directory.?
> -
> > > program has been compiled on cygwin but gdb was
> > called
> > > from DOS prompt.
> >
> > You can solve this last one by using the bash
> shell.
>
> I can't use cygwin-bash because cygwin does not
> recognize COM ports from windows:
"
Windows COM7 on cygwin has /dev/ttyS6:
$ arm-elf-gdb hello
GNU gdb 6.4.0.20051202-cvs
GDB is free software, covered by the GNU General
Public License, and you are
welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it
under certain conditions.
There is absolutely no warranty for GDB.  Type "show
warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "--host=i686-pc-cygwin
--target=arm-elf"...
(gdb) set remotebaud 38400
(gdb) target remote /dev/ttyS6
Remote debugging using /dev/ttyS6
0x00104954 in Cyg_StdioStreamBuffer::set_buffer
(this=0xd3, size=6,
    new_buffer=0x5
"&#273;\237&#314;\030&#273;\237&#314;\030&#273;\237&#314;\030&#273;\237&#314;4\214\222\213\030&#273;\237&#314;\
030&#273;\237&#314;&#282;")
    at
/opt/ecos/ecos-2.0/packages/language/c/libc/stdio/current/src/common/stre
ambuf.cxx:84
84              if (call_free) {
Current language:  auto; currently c++
(gdb) load
Start address 0x100040, load size 33352
Transfer rate: 26506 bits/sec, 370 bytes/write.
(gdb) break main
Breakpoint 1 at 0x10055c: file hello.c, line 6.
(gdb) continue
Continuing.
"
still after a continue or a step command the gdb hangs
up.

       [not found] <20070630220134.GC8004@lunn.ch>
@ 2007-07-01  7:50 ` wavecom wavecom
From: wavecom wavecom @ 2007-07-01  7:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Lunn; +Cc: ecos-discuss

> [...]
> update to anoncvs.

This is the newest verion of eCos from CVS, I've only
copied to existing directory.

> > streambuf.cxx
> > Current language:  auto; currently c++
> > (gdb) load
> 0x100000
> > Start address 0x100040, load size 33352
> > Transfer rate: 26681 bits/sec, 370 bytes/write.
> > (gdb) break main
> > Breakpoint 1 at 0x10055c: file hello.c, line 6.
> > (gdb) cont
> > Continuing.
>
> You can single step the startup code and see where
> it goes wrong.
> However i've never done this with a RAM application
> on the AT91SAM7
> platforms. I've always used ROM applications and
> used gdb attached to
> JTAG and used hardware breakpoints.

I've tried to step program, but after the step command
debugging hands up. I don't know how to change loading