* Re: [ECOS] Questions about dual flash
@ 2007-12-03  8:04 Per-Erik Johansson
       [not found] ` <e37cb5250712030430v4e71799ase1c40bc57889a1fc@mail.gmail.com>
From: Per-Erik Johansson @ 2007-12-03  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hello again

Found some posts from 2004 about merging flash_v2 and trunk..
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/ecos-discuss/2004-10/msg00119.html
will this still work?
Also I have a home-cooked driver for the internal flash, do I have to
change this driver or will it work with v2 as it is?

Cheers
 Per-Erik

@ 2007-12-03 12:31   ` Tom Deconinck
From: Tom Deconinck @ 2007-12-03 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

On Dec 3, 2007 9:03 AM, Per-Erik Johansson <perka@dtek.chalmers.se> wrote:
> Hello again
>
> Found some posts from 2004 about merging flash_v2 and trunk..
> http://sources.redhat.com/ml/ecos-discuss/2004-10/msg00119.html
> will this still work?
> Also I have a home-cooked driver for the internal flash, do I have to
> change this driver or will it work with v2 as it is?
>
> Cheers
>  Per-Erik
>

> >> Hello
> >>
> >> I'm working on a redboot port for a PhyCore MPC5554 board.
> >> Our eval board has flash on it and the MPC5554 also has flash, but on
> >> startup the redboot prompt only displays one flash segment. Could it be
> >> made to show both?
> >> We added so redboot displays both our ram segments but cant understand
> >> how
> >> we could do it for flash since _flash_info() doesn't use a list.
> >> Also, just by using both flash drivers, with corresponding cdl and
> >> c-files, will redboot initiate both our flashes?
> >
> > The trunk of anoncvs has no support for discontinuous flash. Look at
> > the flash_v2 branch, which can have multiple flash devices.
> >
> >     Andrew
>

> --

Yes, the merging will work.
I've done it a couple of weeks ago in light of porting eCos on the
AT91SAM7SE family.

Just start from the trunk tree and then replace the following
directories with their flash_v2 branch counter parts:
io/flash
dev/flash
redboot
fs/jffs2

You will probably have to make some small changes to your ecos.db too,
but those are pretty straight-forward.

If you enable the flash legacy api (CYGHWR_IO_FLASH_DEVICE_LEGACY cdl
option), I guess your home-cooked driver should still work.

Tom

* Re: [ECOS] Questions about dual flash
@ 2007-12-13 14:48     ` Per-Erik Johansson
From: Per-Erik Johansson @ 2007-12-13 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

>> Hello again
>>
>> Found some posts from 2004 about merging flash_v2 and trunk..
>> http://sources.redhat.com/ml/ecos-discuss/2004-10/msg00119.html
>> will this still work?
>> Also I have a home-cooked driver for the internal flash, do I have to
>> change this driver or will it work with v2 as it is?
>
> Hi,
>
> Yes, the merging will work.
> I've done it a couple of weeks ago in light of porting eCos on the
> AT91SAM7SE family.
>
> Just start from the trunk tree and then replace the following
> directories with their flash_v2 branch counter parts:
> io/flash
> dev/flash
> redboot
> fs/jffs2
>
> You will probably have to make some small changes to your ecos.db too,
> but those are pretty straight-forward.
>
> If you enable the flash legacy api (CYGHWR_IO_FLASH_DEVICE_LEGACY cdl
> option), I guess your home-cooked driver should still work.
>
> Tom

Hi

So, here we go again :)
Now we are using am29xxxxxv2 driver and our home-cooked internal flash
driver using the legacy driver..
It now lists both flashes on startup:
>FLASH: 0x00000000 - 0x001fffff 16 x 0x20000 blocks
>FLASH: 0x20000000 - 0x207fffff 8 x 0x4000 blocks 63 x 0x20000 blocks

And with a uninitialized FIS directory everything seems fine, fis free
just lists the rest of the flashes as free (set minimum image size to
0x40000):
RedBoot> fis free
... Read from 0x001e0000-0x001fffff to 0x407e0000:
  0x00040000 .. 0x001FFFFF
  0x20000000 .. 0x207FFFFF

But if we then run fis init, our output from fis free becomes a bit
confusing..
RedBoot> fis free
... Read from 0x001e0000-0x001fffff to 0x407e0000:
  0x00040000 .. 0x001C0000
  0x001C1000 .. 0x001E0000
  0x00200000 .. 0x001FFFFF
  0x00000001 .. 0x20020042

We have set the Maximum number of free chunks to 40 ((2MB + 8MB
flash)/256k min image size) Are we thinking totally wrong here??

One even more strange thing is that if we use telnet, instead of serial,
we get get this output from the fis free:
RedBoot> fis free
... Read from 0x001e0000-0x001fffff to 0x407e0000:
  0x00040000 .. 0x001C0000
  0x001C1000 .. 0x001E0000
  0x00200000 .. 0x001FFFFF
  0x3FFF2BA4 .. 0x000031AC

Here the last line has totally different values from the ones we got when
using serial..

Have anyone seen something like this? And knows how to resolve it?

Best Regards
 Per-Erik

* Re: [ECOS] Questions about dual flash
@ 2007-12-14 10:46       ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2007-12-14 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Per-Erik Johansson; +Cc: ecos-discuss

> But if we then run fis init, our output from fis free becomes a bit
> confusing..
> RedBoot> fis free
> ... Read from 0x001e0000-0x001fffff to 0x407e0000:
>   0x00040000 .. 0x001C0000
>   0x001C1000 .. 0x001E0000
>   0x00200000 .. 0x001FFFFF
>   0x00000001 .. 0x20020042
>
> We have set the Maximum number of free chunks to 40 ((2MB + 8MB
> flash)/256k min image size) Are we thinking totally wrong here??
>
> One even more strange thing is that if we use telnet, instead of serial,
> we get get this output from the fis free:
> RedBoot> fis free
> ... Read from 0x001e0000-0x001fffff to 0x407e0000:
>   0x00040000 .. 0x001C0000
>   0x001C1000 .. 0x001E0000
>   0x00200000 .. 0x001FFFFF
>   0x3FFF2BA4 .. 0x000031AC

This looks like a bug to me. The code which finds free space is not so
simple and it got even hairier when we added support for multiple
flashes in the v2 branch. Take a look at
/packages/redboot/current/src/flash.c:find_free()

and see if you can find the problem.

    Andrew

* Re: [ECOS] Questions about dual flash
@ 2007-11-30 14:01 ` Andrew Lunn