* Re: [ECOS] App works in RAM but not in flash memory
@ 2001-08-17  2:56 Fano Ramparany
From: Fano Ramparany @ 2001-08-17  2:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Andersson, Jonathan Larmour; +Cc: eCos Disuss

I'm currently addressing the same problem (i.e. my application works
fine when built
for "RAM" startup type and don't works when built for "ROM" startup
type).

My application uses the TCP/IP stack, and used to work (even under ROM
startup, but
with apparently some time out problems (see. a previous thread in the
mailing list
under subject "TCP/IP and rom startup mode")), until a major
reconfiguration of our intranet.
(incl. a change in our IP address). Now even the ping_test doesn't work
in ROM  startup mode, although
it works ok in RAM startup mode (using gdb).

Daniel, as far as your cyg_mbox application is concerned, you could
perhaps test the
small application a send you off-line, and check whether is works in
both startup mode. I've just
checked that it works on my target (a Cirrus Logic EDB7212 board)

More generally, Jonathan, what is the best way to find out why a ROM
startup application
doesn't work when its RAM startup version runs ok?

Fano

* RE: [ECOS] App works in RAM but not in flash memory
@ 2001-08-16  9:42 Daniel.Andersson
From: Daniel.Andersson @ 2001-08-16  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jlarmour; +Cc: ecos-discuss

> Daniel.Andersson@combitechsystems.com wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have some problem with my messages (cyg_mbox_*) in eCos
> and hope that some
> > of you maybe can give me a hint of what maight be wrong.
> Currently I am
> > running the entire application in RAM and it works fine.
> However, when i
> > download the program it into flash then it starts acting
> very strange. With
> > a trace enabled i can see that some (not all...) messages
> that are sent
> > between threads dont have any valid data in their header.
> Every message
> > contains of a header and the data that it contains is just
> garbage. The
> > first thing i check was that if some process sends an
> unfilled message but
> > that was not the case.
> >
> > What can be wrong when an application works fine in RAM but
> not in flash? I
> > have tried to set the clock to half the speed to give the
> flash more time to
> > fetch data but the error was still present.
> >
> > I am using a custom build AT91EB40 with external flash.
>
> Seems odd certainly. I can't imagine a situation where it
> would mostly but
> not completely work, in that way. If you had a support
> contract I could
> look more closely by trying it myself, but otherwise I don't
> have the time,
> sorry.
>
> Which situation are you talking about: is it built for "ROM"
> startup type
> and is running direct from Flash? Or is it built for RAM
> startup, and being
> loaded into RAM from flash using "fis load"?
>
> Jifl

I think i have located a few things that causes this error. I have had the
option "include gdb stub in HAL" marked and this is not a good combination
since they interfere with the rest of the code. When i disabled the above
options then I got less strange mbox messages. However, i still get a few
and i think that if i disable all the debug options (and GDB support) in
eCos then my app will run much better. However, I can't get all the debug
info to disaper. I have removed all the debug-flags in the makefiles, both
when building eCos and when building my application. I still get some "debug
info" and "debug lines" in my map-file on address 0x00. How can i remove all
such information?

Regards, Daniel

* [ECOS] App works in RAM but not in flash memory
@ 2001-08-16  6:47 Daniel.Andersson