* [ECOS] Re: Trash when running RAM image
       [not found] <876437dd0705020801t68d84716s9a8c1c8be3dfa2a3@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2007-05-02 15:02 ` alysson brito
From: alysson brito @ 2007-05-02 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi
I am newbie on RedBoot. I am using redboot on an intel board.
I am [trying] to load and run a RAM image, since I do not want to mess
up the currently [runnable] image that is on the rom memory and is
working.
But the image I got from intel and the image I built from the sources
are showing up some trash on the console when i execute them
[for instance: $T0a0f:0c002000;0d:ec0ffd03;#39]. This pattern goes on
an on for each key I press.
I am loading the file redboot_RAM.srec [load -v -r -m xmodem -b
0x00200000  redboot_RAM.srec] [I also tried via tftp, same result...]
and shooting "go" ro make it run, but all the time I get this output.
Would any know what might be wrong ? I'd guess I am executing a some
memory position that has nothing there ... But I do not know how to go
on. Any help would be really appreciated.

I also tryed "go redboot_RAM.srec"  but it did not work either...
Thanks in advance!
--Alysson

* Re: [ECOS] Re: Trash when running RAM image
@ 2007-05-02 15:10   ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2007-05-02 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alysson brito; +Cc: ecos-discuss

alysson brito wrote:
> Hi
> I am newbie on RedBoot. I am using redboot on an intel board.
> I am [trying] to load and run a RAM image, since I do not want to mess
> up the currently [runnable] image that is on the rom memory and is
> working.
> But the image I got from intel and the image I built from the sources
> are showing up some trash on the console when i execute them
> [for instance: $T0a0f:0c002000;0d:ec0ffd03;#39]. This pattern goes on
> an on for each key I press.
> I am loading the file redboot_RAM.srec [load -v -r -m xmodem -b
> 0x00200000  redboot_RAM.srec] [I also tried via tftp, same result...]
> and shooting "go" ro make it run, but all the time I get this output.
> Would any know what might be wrong ? I'd guess I am executing a some
> memory position that has nothing there ... But I do not know how to go
> on. Any help would be really appreciated.
>
> I also tryed "go redboot_RAM.srec"  but it did not work either...

The options you are using for the download is causing the problem.
Try this:
   RedBoot> lo -m xm redboot_RAM.srec
   RedBoot> go

Your options do two things wrong:
  -r: downloads the image raw, which means you've loaded ASCII S-records
      into memory - these are not executable instructions
  -b: eCos programs are not relocatable, hence they must be loaded at
      their native address. 0x200000 is probably not the correct address.

* Re: [ECOS] Re: Trash when running RAM image
@ 2007-05-02 17:17     ` alysson brito
From: alysson brito @ 2007-05-02 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss; +Cc: Gary Thomas

Thanks Gary!

I really should have payed more attention.

Actually, the result was [almost] the same though :(

RedBoot> load -m xm redboot_RAM.srec
CCEntry point: 0x00020040, address range: 0x00020000-0x00046d5c
xyzModem - CRC mode, 3574(SOH)/0(STX)/0(CAN) packets, 5 retries
RedBoot> go
$T050f:54000200;0d:ec0ffd03;#e3

I have also tryed to up load the .bin image (using the -r) but it did
not work out either:

RedBoot> load -r -m xm -b 0x00020040 redboot_RAM.bin
CCRaw file loaded 0x00020040-0x00046d9b, assumed entry at 0x00020040
xyzModem - CRC mode, 1243(SOH)/0(STX)/0(CAN) packets, 2 retries
RedBoot> go
$T0a0f:0002014c;0d:ec0ffd03;#3e

I guess i am almost out of options ... Any other idea of what is still wrong ?

@ 2007-05-02 17:26       ` Adam Yergovich
From: Adam Yergovich @ 2007-05-02 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi Alysson,

alysson brito wrote:

> Thanks Gary!
>
> I really should have payed more attention.
>
> Actually, the result was [almost] the same though :(
>
> RedBoot> load -m xm redboot_RAM.srec
> CCEntry point: 0x00020040, address range: 0x00020000-0x00046d5c
> xyzModem - CRC mode, 3574(SOH)/0(STX)/0(CAN) packets, 5 retries
> RedBoot> go
> $T050f:54000200;0d:ec0ffd03;#e3
>
> I have also tryed to up load the .bin image (using the -r) but it did
> not work out either:
>
> RedBoot> load -r -m xm -b 0x00020040 redboot_RAM.bin
> CCRaw file loaded 0x00020040-0x00046d9b, assumed entry at 0x00020040
> xyzModem - CRC mode, 1243(SOH)/0(STX)/0(CAN) packets, 2 retries
> RedBoot> go
> $T0a0f:0002014c;0d:ec0ffd03;#3e
>
> I guess i am almost out of options ... Any other idea of what is still
> wrong ?

In my experience, that is the kind of output you get when you try to
execute something that is not executable or is not properly setup (i.e.
turning on the MMU before executing a kernel).

Perhaps I have just never done it, but I don't thinnk one usually
executes a ramdisk.  I might suggest you take your known good ramdisk in
rom and try to load it the same way to see what happens.

-Adam

--
Adam Yergovich
Engineer

1403 Fifth St. Suite D
Davis, CA 95616

Tel:(530) 297-6073

* Re: [ECOS] Re: Trash when running RAM image
@ 2007-05-03 11:35         ` alysson brito
From: alysson brito @ 2007-05-03 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss, Adam Yergovich

Hi Adam and all

On 5/2/07, Adam Yergovich <ayergo@jkmicro.com> wrote:
> Hi Alysson,
>
> alysson brito wrote:
>
> > Thanks Gary!
> >
> > I really should have payed more attention.
> >
> > Actually, the result was [almost] the same though :(
> >
> > RedBoot> load -m xm redboot_RAM.srec
> > CCEntry point: 0x00020040, address range: 0x00020000-0x00046d5c
> > xyzModem - CRC mode, 3574(SOH)/0(STX)/0(CAN) packets, 5 retries
> > RedBoot> go
> > $T050f:54000200;0d:ec0ffd03;#e3
> >
> > I have also tryed to up load the .bin image (using the -r) but it did
> > not work out either:
> >
> > RedBoot> load -r -m xm -b 0x00020040 redboot_RAM.bin
> > CCRaw file loaded 0x00020040-0x00046d9b, assumed entry at 0x00020040
> > xyzModem - CRC mode, 1243(SOH)/0(STX)/0(CAN) packets, 2 retries
> > RedBoot> go
> > $T0a0f:0002014c;0d:ec0ffd03;#3e
> >
> > I guess i am almost out of options ... Any other idea of what is still
> > wrong ?
> >

> In my experience, that is the kind of output you get when you try to
> execute something that is not executable or is not properly setup (i.e.
> turning on the MMU before executing a kernel).
>
> Perhaps I have just never done it, but I don't thinnk one usually
> executes a ramdisk.  I might suggest you take your known good ramdisk in
> rom and try to load it the same way to see what happens.
>
> -Adam
>

> --
> Adam Yergovich
> Engineer
> JK Microsystems
>
> 1403 Fifth St. Suite D
> Davis, CA 95616
>
> Tel:(530) 297-6073
>
> --

Thanks for the reply! Actually I am trying to run an RAM image of
redboot, not a ramdisk, I might have written something wrong, sorry.

The problem still persists, I have seen that Gary  wrote today on "Re:
[ECOS] standalone Redboot configuration" that some ARM have to get
some massage to runging RAM images, I do not know whether this is a
case, since xscale is arm based.

If some one can help me out really I'd really apreciated some more tips.

@ 2007-05-03 11:57           ` Chris Zimman
From: Chris Zimman @ 2007-05-03 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alysson brito, ecos-discuss

Alysson,

Hook up GDB and see where it's crashing.  There's not nearly enough
information to tell you much further.  What is the image that you're
trying to run?

--Chris

@ 2007-05-03 12:54             ` alysson brito
From: alysson brito @ 2007-05-03 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Zimman; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Hi Chris

On 5/3/07, Chris Zimman <czimman@bloomberg.com> wrote:
> Alysson,
>
> Hook up GDB and see where it's crashing.  There's not nearly enough
> information to tell you much further.  What is the image that you're
> trying to run?
>
> --Chris

Yeah, It might be the only way to go, since I can not figure out what
the problem might be .... leider ...

I am trying to run an redboot_RAM.srec file, that came along with the
board (processor xscale ixdp425) software toolkit. If you wanna, I can
send it to you via email.

Thanks

@ 2007-05-04 11:43               ` alysson brito
From: alysson brito @ 2007-05-04 11:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Zimman, ecos-discuss

Hi

On 5/3/07, alysson brito <alysson.alysson@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Chris
>
> On 5/3/07, Chris Zimman <czimman@bloomberg.com> wrote:
> > Alysson,
> >
> > Hook up GDB and see where it's crashing.  There's not nearly enough
> > information to tell you much further.  What is the image that you're
> > trying to run?
> >
> > --Chris

Sorry, for the question, but I am wondering whether I can hook up on
gdb server of redboot rom image an debug the redboot_ram.

I even tryed, but I got a SIGTRAP after some instructions (is the
board been reset cause redboot ram image ?). Then "nexti" command does
not go any further ...

Could anyone pls tell me if it is possible to use gbd to test a
redboot ram image ? Or must I really use a JTAG?

@ 2007-05-04 11:48                 ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2007-05-04 11:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alysson brito; +Cc: Chris Zimman, ecos-discuss

alysson brito wrote:
> Hi
>
> On 5/3/07, alysson brito <alysson.alysson@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Chris
>>
>> On 5/3/07, Chris Zimman <czimman@bloomberg.com> wrote:
>> > Alysson,
>> >
>> > Hook up GDB and see where it's crashing.  There's not nearly enough
>> > information to tell you much further.  What is the image that you're
>> > trying to run?
>> >
>> > --Chris

RedBoot can't be used to debug RedBoot via GDB, unless you build
the RAM version without GDB support.  Using a JTAG debugger works
best for this.