* [ECOS] wxWidgets tool
@ 2007-10-01  1:22 Slide
From: Slide @ 2007-10-01  1:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

I seem to remember someone saying that the wxWidgets based config tool
is no longer supported and the command line tool is the way to go. Is
there a howto document that takes someone familiar with the Windows
tool and helps them understand how to do the same things with the
command line tool?

thanks

slide

* [ECOS] Re: wxWidgets tool
@ 2007-10-01  8:32 ` John Dallaway
From: John Dallaway @ 2007-10-01  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Slide; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Slide wrote:

> I seem to remember someone saying that the wxWidgets based config tool
> is no longer supported and the command line tool is the way to go.

Both tools are supported. Choose the graphical eCos Configuration Tool
or the ecosconfig command-line tool according to your personal preference.

John Dallaway

* Re: [ECOS] wxWidgets tool
@ 2007-10-01  9:01 ` Gary Thomas
       [not found]   ` <a623f7d10710010620t1db9b23ekb5456c4c0720abf8@mail.gmail.com>
From: Gary Thomas @ 2007-10-01  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Slide; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Slide wrote:
> I seem to remember someone saying that the wxWidgets based config tool
> is no longer supported and the command line tool is the way to go. Is
> there a howto document that takes someone familiar with the Windows
> tool and helps them understand how to do the same things with the
> command line tool?

You might be referring to the *old* Windows tool which was retired
many years ago (circa 1999) and replaced by the [more portable] wxWindows
based tool we have today.

As for how to use the command line tool (ecosconfig), have you looked
at the documentation?
  http://ecos.sourceware.org/docs-latest/user-guide/using-ecosconfig-on-linux.html

This applies to using ecosconfig on Windows (CygWin) as well as Linux.

* Re: [ECOS] wxWidgets tool
       [not found]   ` <a623f7d10710010620t1db9b23ekb5456c4c0720abf8@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2007-10-01 13:26     ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2007-10-01 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Slide; +Cc: eCos Discussion

Slide wrote:
> On 10/1/07, Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com> wrote:
>> Slide wrote:
>>> I seem to remember someone saying that the wxWidgets based config tool
>>> is no longer supported and the command line tool is the way to go. Is
>>> there a howto document that takes someone familiar with the Windows
>>> tool and helps them understand how to do the same things with the
>>> command line tool?
>> You might be referring to the *old* Windows tool which was retired
>> many years ago (circa 1999) and replaced by the [more portable] wxWindows
>> based tool we have today.
>>
>> As for how to use the command line tool (ecosconfig), have you looked
>> at the documentation?
>>   http://ecos.sourceware.org/docs-latest/user-guide/using-ecosconfig-on-linux.html
>>
>> This applies to using ecosconfig on Windows (CygWin) as well as Linux.
>>

> Ah, I must be thinking of the old tool. Thanks for the info. If the
> wxWidgets tool is supported, patches will be accepted I assume?

Of course, send them to ecos-patches@ecos.sourceware.org
Did you have something in particular that needs work?

Please keep replies on the mailing lists so that all may benefit.

* Re: [ECOS] wxWidgets tool
@ 2007-10-01 14:04       ` Slide
From: Slide @ 2007-10-01 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas, ecos-discuss

> Of course, send them to ecos-patches@ecos.sourceware.org
> Did you have something in particular that needs work?
>
> Please keep replies on the mailing lists so that all may benefit.

I just have a lot of crashing issues, when I go to create a build
tree, the tool crashes, when I try and save the config, the tool
crashes. I was going to look into those and hopefully submit some
patches. We are going to be using the tool quite a bit at work and
would like to stabilize it a little more (other people have seen the
crashing issue as well). I'll submit what I come up with.

Thanks!

* Re: [ECOS] wxWidgets tool
@ 2007-10-01 14:58         ` Tom Malcolmson
From: Tom Malcolmson @ 2007-10-01 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ecos-discuss

  Slide wrote:
>> Of course, send them to ecos-patches@ecos.sourceware.org
>> Did you have something in particular that needs work?
>>
>> Please keep replies on the mailing lists so that all may benefit.
>>

> I just have a lot of crashing issues, when I go to create a build
> tree, the tool crashes, when I try and save the config, the tool
> crashes. I was going to look into those and hopefully submit some
> patches. We are going to be using the tool quite a bit at work and
> would like to stabilize it a little more (other people have seen the
> crashing issue as well). I'll submit what I come up with.
>
> Thanks!

I get a lot of crashes as well (on WinXP), so anything you can do to
'stabilize' is appreciated.

I noticed some patches available here:
http://www.xylanta.com/WordPress/?page_id=22
including one to make it work with wxWidgets v2.6.

I'm not clear on where the 'official' home of the tool / latest version
is?  And whether the wxWidgets version also depends on cygwin?

Perhaps the tool should be moved to something like sourceforge.

Tom.

* Re: [ECOS] wxWidgets tool
@ 2007-10-01 15:03           ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2007-10-01 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Malcolmson; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Tom Malcolmson wrote:
>  Slide wrote:
>>> Of course, send them to ecos-patches@ecos.sourceware.org
>>> Did you have something in particular that needs work?
>>>
>>> Please keep replies on the mailing lists so that all may benefit.
>>>

>> I just have a lot of crashing issues, when I go to create a build
>> tree, the tool crashes, when I try and save the config, the tool
>> crashes. I was going to look into those and hopefully submit some
>> patches. We are going to be using the tool quite a bit at work and
>> would like to stabilize it a little more (other people have seen the
>> crashing issue as well). I'll submit what I come up with.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
> I get a lot of crashes as well (on WinXP), so anything you can do to
> 'stabilize' is appreciated.
>
> I noticed some patches available here:
> http://www.xylanta.com/WordPress/?page_id=22
> including one to make it work with wxWidgets v2.6.
>
> I'm not clear on where the 'official' home of the tool / latest version
> is?  And whether the wxWidgets version also depends on cygwin?
>
> Perhaps the tool should be moved to something like sourceforge.

Why?  All eCos tools and ports live in the same CVS tree:
  http://ecos.sourceware.org/anoncvs.html

* Re: [ECOS] wxWidgets tool
@ 2007-10-01 19:52             ` Tom Malcolmson
From: Tom Malcolmson @ 2007-10-01 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ecos-discuss

Gary Thomas wrote:
> Tom Malcolmson wrote:

>>> I just have a lot of crashing issues, when I go to create a build
>>> tree, the tool crashes, when I try and save the config, the tool
>>> crashes. I was going to look into those and hopefully submit some
>>> patches. We are going to be using the tool quite a bit at work and
>>> would like to stabilize it a little more (other people have seen the
>>> crashing issue as well). I'll submit what I come up with.
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>

>> I get a lot of crashes as well (on WinXP), so anything you can do to
>> 'stabilize' is appreciated.
>>
>> I noticed some patches available here:
>> http://www.xylanta.com/WordPress/?page_id=22
>> including one to make it work with wxWidgets v2.6.
>>
>> I'm not clear on where the 'official' home of the tool / latest version
>> is?  And whether the wxWidgets version also depends on cygwin?
>>
>> Perhaps the tool should be moved to something like sourceforge.
>>

> Why?  All eCos tools and ports live in the same CVS tree:
>   http://ecos.sourceware.org/anoncvs.html

Yes, true.  My concern was that the status of the tool seems a bit
confusing, but I guess a different location wouldn't help.

Is there a location for builds that correspond to the code in CVS?

I got my version of the tool from the ecoscentric website.

Just recently, I noticed the Xylanta versions which appear to be more
recent, but I take it that their changes are not in the CVS tree.  They
have build as well as patches available on their site.

Perhaps over xmas I could work on upgrading it to the wxWidgets v2.8.6
and one of the better MS compilers.  I believe it currently compiles
with VC6 which is very non-compliant.  It would be good if the source
could compile on GCC or VC7.1+.

Tom.

Tom.

* [ECOS] Re: wxWidgets tool
@ 2007-10-02  8:30           ` John Dallaway
From: John Dallaway @ 2007-10-02  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Malcolmson; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Tom

Tom Malcolmson wrote:

> I noticed some patches available here:
> http://www.xylanta.com/WordPress/?page_id=22
> including one to make it work with wxWidgets v2.6.

Coincidentally, I have recently tracked down an issue with the eCos
Configuration Tool when built against wxGTK 2.6.x on Linux. The Xylanta
patches will be checked-in when the necessary copyright assignment is in
place.

> I'm not clear on where the 'official' home of the tool / latest version
> is?  And whether the wxWidgets version also depends on cygwin?

The official home is alongside the eCos run-time sources. Ref:

  http://ecos.sourceware.org/anoncvs.html

It is necessary to checkout both the "ecos" and "ecos-host" modules from
the CVS repository.

I can confirm that the wxMSW build of the eCos Configuration Tool does
depend on Cygwin.

John Dallaway

* Re: [ECOS] Re: wxWidgets tool
@ 2007-10-02  8:59             ` Lars Poeschel
From: Lars Poeschel @ 2007-10-02  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Am Dienstag, 2. Oktober 2007 schrieb John Dallaway:
> Tom
>
> Tom Malcolmson wrote:
> > I noticed some patches available here:
> > http://www.xylanta.com/WordPress/?page_id=22
> > including one to make it work with wxWidgets v2.6.
>
> Coincidentally, I have recently tracked down an issue with the eCos
> Configuration Tool when built against wxGTK 2.6.x on Linux. The Xylanta
> patches will be checked-in when the necessary copyright assignment is in
> place.

May I again mention my autoconf - automake - wxWidgets 2.6 work here ? :
http://sourceware.org/ml/ecos-patches/2006-06/msg00048.html

I there a chance for inclusion ?

Thanks,

Lars

* Re: [ECOS] Re: wxWidgets tool
@ 2007-10-02 14:07             ` Andy Jackson
From: Andy Jackson @ 2007-10-02 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss; +Cc: John Dallaway

>> including one to make it work with wxWidgets v2.6.
>
> Coincidentally, I have recently tracked down an issue with the eCos
> Configuration Tool when built against wxGTK 2.6.x on Linux. The Xylanta
> patches will be checked-in when the necessary copyright assignment is in
> place.
Apologies, I've been away and will try and sort the assignment out this
week,

    Andy..